Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Neanderthal DNA = More brainnnss!

Jumbo

Neanderthal Genome Project Launches

BERLIN - U.S. and German scientists on Thursday launched a two-year project to decipher the genetic code of the Neanderthal, a feat they hope will help deepen understanding of how modern humans' brains evolved.

http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIENCE&fn=/2006/07/21/438972.html

Pretty cool stuff if things work out. We're in an explosive learning phase about the brain/CNS/body-wide neurotransmitter chemistry/recursive-feedback loop of our biology. We are rapidly gaining further understanding of the evolution of the limbic system up through the development of the extended regions of the cortex and how this all affects thinking/reasoning/emoting and the directing of our cognitions (motives-drives-influencers) that it's really going to be more than fascinating over the next couple decades.

We have a chance in the relatively near future of knowing so much more about ourselves and why we do/think what we do/think, that many of the ways we view and understand ourselves and our world could be almost completely transformed. The implications of the type of knowledge we are aquiring in these areas could be far more change-making than the comparable technological evolution from wooden wheel to space shuttle.

This may also help us understand cowpie fans better. :D

Neanderthal Genome Project Launches

BERLIN - U.S. and German scientists on Thursday launched a two-year project to decipher the genetic code of the Neanderthal, a feat they hope will help deepen understanding of how modern humans' brains evolved.

http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIENCE&fn=/2006/07/21/438972.html

Pretty cool stuff if things work out. We're in an explosive learning phase about the brain/CNS/body-wide neurotransmitter chemistry/recursive-feedback loop of our biology. We are rapidly gaining further understanding of the evolution of the limbic system up through the development of the extended regions of the cortex and how this all affects thinking/reasoning/emoting and the directing of our cognitions (motives-drives-influencers) that it's really going to be more than fascinating over the next couple decades.

We have a chance in the relatively near future of knowing so much more about ourselves and why we do/think what we do/think, that many of the ways we view and understand ourselves and our world could be almost completely transformed. The implications of the type of knowledge we are aquiring in these areas could be far more change-making than the comparable technological evolution from wooden wheel to space shuttle.

This may also help us understand cowpie fans better. :D

As long as it helps me understand why my gf is going psycho all of a sudden, I'm all for it.

Interesting article!

That will never be understood my friend....never! And if it is ever figure out, that person will make billions!

I have a feeling if they do figure it out, then the women will have a big meeting and change the rules :doh: .

Anyways, interesting article. I'd kinda like to hear what the "ubers" (you know who you are) think of this, and any implications it may have.

I'd kinda like to hear what the "ubers" (you know who you are) think of this, and any implications it may have.

There are no such things as neanderthals...we were all created a few thousand years ago in the garden of Eden...:whoknows: No Neanderthals...

It's not from an uber but.... :D

I'm one of those people who thinks evolutions is the way it all went down. But, we don't need to turn every thread that mentions it, into a debate between science and religion.

I think this is a cool project, and I hope they learn a ton from it.

some peoples hate is too strong and I agree with you the project does sound interesting and Im curious to what they learn from it too.

I'm taking off soon to go to one of the longest beaches in the world :D , which is here in Washington state of all places :silly: and won't be back until Sunday. But when I get back I have some more stuff in here that I think is interesting on these matters. Some of it will even relate to our forum. :D :laugh:

I think it's fascinating and gets to the nature of what it is to be human. Given that they quote Neanderthals being around until 30,000 years ago, this overlaps with Paleolithic Homo Sapiens who were creating cave art paintings in Western Europe at that time.

A better understanding of how conciousness and abstract thought developed will help us understand what separates us from other animals.

This will tell us a tremendous about ourselves. I believe the problem with neanderthals was the actual layout was not conducive to imagination. Hence, while we do see patterns of ritualized burial art and music these behaviors were probably more reflective of imitated behavior. More to support that was the absolutely stationary patterns of the neanderthals. As opposed to humans that appeared and spread all over the world almost immediately with exception of the Americas... I believe that occurred 40,000 years ago. Simply put, humans didn't believe that the cave they lived in was the only cave out there while neanderthals did.

I'm one of those people who thinks evolutions is the way it all went down. But, we don't need to turn every thread that mentions it, into a debate between science and religion.

thank you bufford. :notworthy

What debate? Science is WRONG, man! Even if they do find this fancy DNA stuff, who's to say its even right? ;)

It is a cool project. How are they going to get the DNA? Drill into the bones or something?

Oh, BTW -- the article was removed for some reason...:whoknows: (Maybe because its godless LIES!!!! ;))

This will tell us a tremendous about ourselves. I believe the problem with neanderthals was the actual layout was not conducive to imagination. Hence, while we do see patterns of ritualized burial art and music these behaviors were probably more reflective of imitated behavior. More to support that was the absolutely stationary patterns of the neanderthals. As opposed to humans that appeared and spread all over the world almost immediately with exception of the Americas... I believe that occurred 40,000 years ago. Simply put, humans didn't believe that the cave they lived in was the only cave out there while neanderthals did.

Homo erectus, which most likely had even less brainpower than Homo neanderthalensis (Neanderthals) had spread across Africa and Asia well before 40,000 years ago. Exploration outside of Africa and Europe was not solely the accomplishment of Homo sapiens.

From all the shows on the science channel and other things I've heard I thought the Neanderthal was a dead-end road, therefore it will be a project to show what we would have been like???

No one is sure. It's possible that Neanderthals were an evolutionary dead-end, and that they were wiped out intentionally or unintentionally by Homo sapiens. However, it's also possible that the Neanderthals bred into the populations of Homo sapiens living around them.

No one is sure. It's possible that Neanderthals were an evolutionary dead-end, and that they were wiped out intentionally or unintentionally by Homo sapiens. However, it's also possible that the Neanderthals bred into the populations of Homo sapiens living around them.

i don't remember where i saw it, but there is supposedly some fossil records to support this. a child that had characteristics similar to that of the cro magnon and neanderthal.

Until I can find time to gather some more material on the central topic and some of the matters I spoke of in the first post, here is a link with interesting and useful standard information on Neanderthal and related matters...

http://www.jqjacobs.net/anthro/paleo/index.html

and it comes another site that has many interesting links for those who have any interest in paleoanthropolgy and associated subjects.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/links.html

While I'm not using these sites to reference any specific point or validate some argument, I'm aware of most of the sources and info and they seem to be quite dependable, especially for general information, conversation, or to inspire further investigation or thought.

Later, I hope to return more to the genome project and relevant themes on learning more about how and why we think and react, as prompted by chemical neurotransmitters throughout almost the entire body--not just the brain, but also different parts of the brain--and yet the wholeness of how it all works.

This connects to the intertwined nature of evolutionary/genetic forces on all our physiological processes and all forms of cognition and how mutually linked in affecting each other they all truly are.

Recently there was a thread in here about Panic Disorder. Very effective treatments (medication and psychotherapy forms) for many with this disorder (and rage or anger problems) have arisen this last decade, and much more recently, out of learning more of the non-separate nature of the "body" and the "mind" as opposed to the older dualist concepts.

Homo erectus, which most likely had even less brainpower than Homo neanderthalensis (Neanderthals) had spread across Africa and Asia well before 40,000 years ago. Exploration outside of Africa and Europe was not solely the accomplishment of Homo sapiens.

Obviously, populations of species will see a natural diasporatic movement. I was more referring to their settlement patterns. As a species they display very sedentary behavior -- My main issue was more in reference to their tool kits never progressing developmental wise and the lack thereof of art and music.

Archived