Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just spoke w/Jerry Rice re:Art Monk for HOF

blitzpackage

No I didn't meet him but I just called Sirius NFL Radio and asked him and Soloman Wilcotts if Art Monk belonged in the Hall of Fame.

They first started to talk about the 3 wr sets that were used during his tenure. They spoke a little about how you prep a game to try to shut down the outside receivers and the slot does indeed get a little more free reign. I also commented that people like Peter King and Dr. Z won't induct someone who caught 800-8 yd hooks.

Anyway, Jerry did most of the talking but said 2-3 times how much respect he has for Art. Then he spoke a bit about a Pro Bowl that he and Art Monk went to together and he said Art stole his helmet. He was laughing and said you would never think that sweet, nice little Art Monk would do that but Jerry ended up saying Art called him a few weeks later and said he had a helmet to sign-lol. I should add they both thought it was hilarious and commented that the probowl is a haven for five-fingered souvenirs.

They then talked about how Chris Carter was in a similar system and they believe that he is a lock for the HOF. Basically they ended the discussion by saying he deserves to "be talked about for the HOF" but never said definitely.

Oh well......I tried.

Edit:spelling:doh:

That's all we can do man. Just keep campaigning for the guy. With all the sportswriters out there like King that go on and on about how he doesn't deserve to get in I feel like its our obligation to keep people talking about what a great player and class act he was. Whether or not he eventually gets in, all we can do is keep his legacy alive, make sure everyone knows who he was and what he stood for. Its guys like Monk that made the Redskins what they are now. At least what I think they are, and why I'm proud to be a lifelong fan. Way to tow the party line brother. I say he eventually gets in, and when he does, hopefully we all can say we did a little bit to help. :applause:

Sounds like you did a pretty good job. I don't think Jerry likes to talk much about other players getting into the Hall of Fame. He definitely has tremendous respect for Monk though. It's always good to keep putting the issue out in the media, because eventually they'll have to face the truth.

I can understand the agruement about the 3-WR sets and it is fact that Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders caught a lot of attention from the defenders due to their awesomeness. :D Honestly, if they are going to play that card--That is like saying Emmitt Smith does not belong in the HOF because his offensive line was so good. (That is only a analogy to get you to understand how foolish Kings and Z's arguement is.)

However, that is what his job was and he did it extremely well. Art Monk was a solid slot receiver and he is knocked against only because he only has 3 Pro Bowl selections in his 16 seasons. Kind of skiddish when you think that Monk was named the 91st best football player by Sporting News and he is spotted behind only 8 other receivers. Keep in mind, he is selected before Joe Namath and Troy Aikman. It makes you wonder if Peter King and Paul Zimmerman in fact DO have something against Monk other then his all time Pro Bowl selection number.

It is almost a given to say that Monk WILL be selected into the HOF...one day. However in my eyes, it will be one day too late. I would laugh my azz off if Monk, during his acceptance speech, says that he can not accept this honor. Kind of put the whole thing in perspective for his haters and realize that true, the HOF is a HUGE honor but, in the end, it does not prove who is the better football players out there anymore. It does not show who is head above the rest anymore.. just like the Pro Bowl, it is a popularity contest and to be honest, it is a shame that it came to that. :doh:

Art was not a slot receiver.

You are correct-he lined up at all 3 positions x,y,and z over his career depending on how the play started and after the shifts and motion were complete. You know as well as I they moved him around and put him in motion to get a free release from the line of scrimmage.

But for the record, I never said he was slot. Jerry Rice implied it.

Art Monk for the HOF is a common topic on Sirius. I don't think anyone can make a legitimate case for him not belonging. I think Jacoby, Grimm and a few others from that era should be in too.

I think sooner or later Russ Grimm will be inducted.

The more publicity this issue gets the more likely it is to someday happen. One of these days we'll hear about Art's "groundswell" of support. Each of us will take pride in the knowledge that we were some small part of it.

Nice job BP. :cheers:

Correction: Art Monk was actually a 'flanker'.. He played the slot a lot of the time to avoid jamming.

Yeah and I think it should also be stated that the Redskins used more than just 3wr sets over his career. Monk also made a living in 2wr, 2te sets. I think they were just playing to the greater evil-#84 and #83 taking heat off #81.

After all, that is the biggest question from the critics. Did Gary and Ricky contribute too much to his amazing output?

Yeah and I think it should also be stated that the Redskins used more than just 3wr sets over his career. Monk also made a living in 2wr, 2te sets. I think they were just playing to the greater evil-#84 and #83 taking heat off #81.

After all, that is the biggest question from the critics. Did Gary and Ricky contribute too much to his amazing output?

I, personally, do not the they did. If you look at their stats, they are all pretty much equal. Constantly rotating them would contribute to that--it is obvious and I am shocked that Z and King choose to ignore ALL of the facts and instead pick and choose to what would hurt Monk's chances the best.

I found this site and it is full of interesting readings about Art Monk and the argument for his HOF campaign.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/2006/04/

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/

EDIT>> This link is a little less in depth but, still an interesting read.

https://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/paul-zimmerman/

I, personally, do not the they did. If you look at their stats, they are all pretty much equal. Constantly rotating them would contribute to that--it is obvious and I am shocked that Z and King choose to ignore ALL of the facts and instead pick and choose to what would hurt Monk's chances the best.

I found this site and it is full of interesting readings about Art Monk and the argument for his HOF campaign.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/2006/04/

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/

EDIT>> This link is a little less in depth but, still an interesting read.

https://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/paul-zimmerman/

:secret: I'm pretty sure that is DjTj's site :D

So playing in the slot and having other players detract attention from him helped Monk's career, huh? Ask Jerry Rice how playing with 2 HoF QBs and great surrounding talent helped his career.

I guarantee you that if he had gone to the Cardinals he wouldn't have sniffed the career heights that he attained. I love the Skins and they had a great run during Monk's tenure, but if had played with Montana and Young, chances are that he would be sitting atop the record books right now. Maybe not as prolific as Rice, but pretty far out there, nonetheless.

:secret: I'm pretty sure that is DjTj's site :D
Yeah? I had no clue. That still doesn't make me feel any more or less about it though. :laugh:

It's only been in my sig for the past 2 months or so ... :silly:

I think the page you linked is very good though. We should all be sending fan mail to Bernie Miklasz, because he's definitely Art's biggest supporter outside of the DC area:

People diss Monk because he didn't have a high TD total. This is true. Well, wonder why? In the red zone Gibbs pounded the ball. And Monk was routinely double covered. That's why. Some complain that he averaged 13.5 yards per catch….well, yes. he was a possession receiver. He moved the chains. He caught everything in traffic and pushed the Redskins up the field with his receptions good for first downs.

Until Monk, every WR who had retired as the all-time leading receiver was voted into Canton. I'm not sure why my fellow voters are drawing the line on Monk. He played for a ground-based team, and he played before the real explosion of WR totals, and he still had 940 catches for a team that won three SB rings.

Keeping him out of the Hall because he was a possession receiver is like keeping Tony Gwynn out of the baseball Hall because he hit too many singles.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/bernie-miklasz/

So playing in the slot and having other players detract attention from him helped Monk's career, huh? Ask Jerry Rice how playing with 2 HoF QBs and great surrounding talent helped his career.

I guarantee you that if he had gone to the Cardinals he wouldn't have sniffed the career heights that he attained. I love the Skins and they had a great run during Monk's tenure, but if had played with Montana and Young, chances are that he would be sitting atop the record books right now. Maybe not as prolific as Rice, but pretty far out there, nonetheless.

Absofreakinloutely!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

...oh, and good job getting through with the question to Rice...next time you talk to him tell him he SUCKS at ballroom dancing :laugh:

Archived