Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Same-sex marriage pioneers separate

SkinsD

:doh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060721/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage_separation

BOSTON - The lesbian couple whose lawsuit led to legal same-sex marriage in Massachusetts have announced they have separated.

"Julie and Hillary Goodridge are amicably living apart," Mary Breslauer, a local political consultant, said Thursday night on their behalf. Breslauer declined to comment on how long they had been separated or whether the couple planned to divorce.

The Goodridges were among seven gay couples whose lawsuit helped thrust Massachusetts into the center of a nationwide debate on gay marriage. The state's Supreme Judicial Court issued its narrow 4-3 ruling in November 2003 in their favor — saying gays and lesbians had a right under the state constitution to wed.

not suprising it is proven fact that homosexual relationships last much shorter than heterosexual relationships.

Not bashing just a fact

Proven where?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but when you claim something as "proven" it's customary to provide proof.

:doh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060721/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage_separation

BOSTON - The lesb1an couple whose lawsuit led to legal same-sex marriage in Massachusetts have announced they have separated.

"Julie and Hillary Goodridge are amicably living apart," Mary Breslauer, a local political consultant, said Thursday night on their behalf. Breslauer declined to comment on how long they had been separated or whether the couple planned to divorce.

The Goodridges were among seven gay couples whose lawsuit helped thrust Massachusetts into the center of a nationwide debate on gay marriage. The state's Supreme Judicial Court issued its narrow 4-3 ruling in November 2003 in their favor — saying gays and lesb1ans had a right under the state constitution to wed.

So, are they good looking?

"Either of you ladies ever been penatrated?" - Quagmire

Proven where?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but when you claim something as "proven" it's customary to provide proof.

here are a few sources:

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2004/apr/04040610.html

and

• A 1997 national survey of 884 men and 1,288 women published in the Journal of Sex Research found that 77 percent of married men and 88 percent of married women had remained faithful to their marriage vows.

• A 2002 U.S. Census Bureau study found that 70.7 percent of women married between 1970 and 1974 reached their tenth anniversary and 57.7 percent stayed married for 20 years or longer.

• In a survey of 7,862 homosexuals, the 2003-2004 Gay/Lesbian Consumer Online Census found that of those involved in a “current relationship,” only 15 percent described their current relationship as having lasted 12 years or longer.

I will point out that I am not supportive of the homosexual lifestyle, but according to the facts homosexual marriage may make the divorce numbers all that much worse.

not suprising it is proven fact that homosexual relationships last much shorter than heterosexual relationships.

Not bashing just a fact

Proven where?

Yeah, definitely going to need some proof on that. Especially since they aren't allowed to marry in most places I don't even see how you COULD gather those statistics. Either way, the success rate of hetero marriages is pathetic anyways so I think it's a moot point.

here are a few sources:

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2004/apr/04040610.html

and

• A 1997 national survey of 884 men and 1,288 women published in the Journal of Sex Research found that 77 percent of married men and 88 percent of married women had remained faithful to their marriage vows.

• A 2002 U.S. Census Bureau study found that 70.7 percent of women married between 1970 and 1974 reached their tenth anniversary and 57.7 percent stayed married for 20 years or longer.

• In a survey of 7,862 homosexuals, the 2003-2004 Gay/Lesbian Consumer Online Census found that of those involved in a “current relationship,” only 15 percent described their current relationship as having lasted 12 years or longer.

I will point out that I am not supportive of the homosexual lifestyle, but according to the facts homosexual marriage may make the divorce numbers all that much worse.

Dude, you're comparing marriages to relationships. That's ridiculous. Compare hetero PRE-MARITAL relationships and then get back at me.

Edit: That's like comparing relationships between teenagers to marriages. There's no way to determine how committed or serious those gay relationships were intended to be without them being able to marry. It's just a ridiculous comparison.

Dude, you're comparing marriages to relationships. That's ridiculous. Compare hetero PRE-MARITAL relationships and then get back at me.

Edit: That's like comparing relationships between teenagers to marriages. There's no way to determine how committed or serious those gay relationships were intended to be without them being able to marry. It's just a ridiculous comparison.

what else am I supposed to compare it to? there are only 3 states in the union that recognize gay marriage. I think it is kind of ludicrous to compare homosexual relationships to teenage relationships which are mostly about raging hormones.

what else am I supposed to compare it to? there are only 3 states in the union that recognize gay marriage. I think it is kind of ludicrous to compare homosexual relationships to teenage relationships which are mostly about raging hormones.

That's my point, there isn't a realistic way to compare them. How do you know which of those gay couples in the study would've even WANTED to get married. My point was, it was just a bad comparison.

Yeah, definitely going to need some proof on that. Especially since they aren't allowed to marry in most places I don't even see how you COULD gather those statistics. Either way, the success rate of hetero marriages is pathetic anyways so I think it's a moot point.

the hetero divorce rate is right around 50%. That number is almost over inflated due to some people getting married and divorced numerous times, like my mother and father who have 7 marraiges between them. But 50% of marriages stay together until one of the spouses dies. That is a pretty decent number, wish it were higher, but still.

That's my point, there isn't a realistic way to compare them. How do you know which of those gay couples in the study would've even WANTED to get married. My point was, it was just a bad comparison.

Look at the percentages of relationships that last a long time, the Hetero rates are higher.

That is really the only feassible comparison

Trouble is, your source is comparing heteros who were married in 1970 vs. all, current homosexual couples.

Look at the percentages of relationships that last a long time, the Hetero rates are higher.

That is really the only feassible comparison

Right, but my point is, you're comparing marriages to relationships that may or may not be serious. It'd be more credible if you walked into a gay bar and a straight bar, found those who were in relationships and then collected data. There's just no way for this to give any kind of accurate indication of anything. What if 95% of those gay couples were never close to or even considering being together for the rest of their lives? You have no way of knowing because they weren't married. In the hetero stats, you know they made that promise to each other. All I'm saying is, it's completely impossible to infer anything concrete or even abstract from the data you've given because it's comparing to entirely different set of circumstances. Like I said, find the study that randomly contacts unmarried heteros and then finds how long they've been in a relationship and maybe you'd have a legitimate comparison. That or at least find out how many of the gay couples actually WOULD marry if they could. Without that, you're comparing apples and oranges and there's just too much variation to legitimize these statistics.

Archived