Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Lieberman Trails For First Time

heyholetsgogrant

P) Sen. Joe Lieberman, under fire from activists in his own party, has lost ground to his challenger and is narrowly trailing him for the first time in their race for the Democratic nomination, a new poll released Thursday shows.

"This is a surge for Lamont," said Quinnipiac University Poll Director Douglas Schwartz. "It's rare to see such a big change in a race."

Businessman Ned Lamont had support from 51 percent and Lieberman from 47 percent of likely Democratic voters in the latest Quinnipiac University poll — a slight Lamont lead, given the survey's sampling error margin of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

"He leads, but it's not a statistically significant lead," said Schwartz, adding the race is too close to call. Lieberman "has just as good of a shot right now as Lamont. He shouldn't give up and analysts shouldn't close the door on a Lieberman victory."

Lieberman had led in a Quinnipiac poll last month, 55 percent to 40 percent.

The new poll suggests that Lieberman still could win a fourth term, even if he loses the Democratic primary Aug. 8.

Lieberman filed papers last week that will allow him to petition his way onto the November ballot. The poll found that among all registered Connecticut voters surveyed, including non-Democrats, Lieberman had the support of 51 percent, followed by Lamont with 27 percent and Republican Alan Schlesinger with 9 percent.

The telephone survey of 2,502 registered voters, 653 of them likely Democratic voters, was conducted July 13-18. The margin of error for the overall survey was plus or minus 2 percentage points.

Lamont, a multimillionaire and founder of a cable television company that has wired college campuses, has gained national attention in his challenge to Lieberman. Liberal blogs have built Lamont up while taking shots at Lieberman for his support of the Iraq war and other moves perceived to support congressional Republicans and Bush.

"We think the voters of Connecticut are continuing to realize that Ned represents the kind of change they want in Washington," said Lamont campaign spokeswoman Liz Dupont-Diehl. "It's clear that Joe Lieberman is just interested in hanging on to power."

Lieberman campaign spokeswoman Marion Steinfels said the poll simply shows that the race is "competitive."

"We've been treating it that way, and we continue to work hard to make sure Joe Lieberman wins on Aug. 8," she said. The campaign announced Thursday that former President Clinton would help campaign for Lieberman.

Schwartz said Lieberman needs to encourage his supporters to vote on Aug. 8. Turnout for primaries is typically low in Connecticut.

"Probably for Lieberman, the best thing he can do right now is get out his troops," Schwartz said. "This is going to be about turnout right now."

Lieberman was the Democratic Party's vice presidential nominee in 2000 and ran for the presidential nomination in 2004.

©MMVI The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/20/politics/main1823685.shtml

I believe without inputing party affiliation.

ALL THE BUMS need to be kicked out and replaced before they make it a career...

4-6-8 years: Strom/Bird is the perfect reason why...

Agreed.

I thought with Liebermann announcing he would run as an independent if he loses the Democratic nomination, that the Democrats could be in danger of losing the seat to the Republicans - figuring the Dems would split the vote between Lamont and Liebermann....

...but I guess the Quinnipiac poll indicates otherwise...only 9% for Schlesinger.

Lieberman filed papers last week that will allow him to petition his way onto the November ballot. The poll found that among all registered Connecticut voters surveyed, including non-Democrats, Lieberman had the support of 51 percent, followed by Lamont with 27 percent and Republican Alan Schlesinger with 9 percent.

Agreed.

I thought with Liebermann announcing he would run as an independent if he loses the Democratic nomination, that the Democrats could be in danger of losing the seat to the Republicans - figuring the Dems would split the vote between Lamont and Liebermann....

...but I guess the Quinnipiac poll indicates otherwise...only 9% for Schlesinger.

Don't know if anyone watched the debate between LaMont and Lieberman, but it was really good. LaMont was HORRID at first, but as the debate went on, he picked up a lot of steam and made some really good points.

This race is a microcosm of the effect bloggers have on elections, as many of the bloggers have been lambasting Lieberman for a while now. It is not just his stance on the war, but his other stances on things such as RU487, when he stated that a rape victim should just go to another hospital if they wouldn't give her the drug. He is completely out of touch with everyday Americans, and his backing of Bush, as well as his "independent" status make him very vulnerable to say the least.

Personally, the people of conn. are better off with Lieberman, but the party is better off with him out, it will be interesting to say the least.

in a way the GOP wins no matter what.

1) Lieberman loses primary- demonstrating how far to the left the dems have gone since having Joe as their VP CANDIDATE only 6 years ago.

this would then cause yet another civil war in their party if he runs as an independent. who does the DNC support? does that mean Lieberman if he wins would side more with the Republicans who elected him in the general...endless articles on the battles between libs and "centrists" in the Democratic party... some campaigning for him, while most campaign for Lamont...showing again how weak the Dems are on defense..

2) he wins. Daily Kos goes into meltdown mode- showing how weak and out of touch the leftist defeatist crowd is even in Connecticut from the rest of America.

I am really not sure yet what I want to happen..

We have term limits. Their called "elections" I believe people have the right to continue voting for morons if they so choose.

(Insert Bush joke here)

I think the problem with the term limits known as 'elections' is that everyone thinks their own congressman is doing a fine job....it's the morons from the other 49 states that are the problem ;)

...only reason I can figure why we keep re-electing these bums. :D

For the most part, the people are doing enough to keep their jobs. And electing someone new over someone who has entrenched himself in key committees puts your state at risk for losing pork.

I agree with Kilmer, term limits are lame.

I wish Lieberman had a larger following - I always thought he was an electable dem.

This race is a microcosm of the effect bloggers have on elections, as many of the bloggers have been lambasting Lieberman for a while now. It is not just his stance on the war, but his other stances on things such as RU487, when he stated that a rape victim should just go to another hospital if they wouldn't give her the drug. He is completely out of touch with everyday Americans, and his backing of Bush, as well as his "independent" status make him very vulnerable to say the least.

This is partisan at it's finest. If the guy goes against the party line, he is "out of touch" with the public. But if the public is on his side, what does that say about the party? (and it does work with the Reps too, not just jumping on the Dems)

I have heard you say the EXACT same thing about the Rep party. Out of touch with the American public. How do the Reps ever win an election if the American public is Dem by a wide margin? I think the American public is out of touch with both parties because of all the hatred going back and forth. Lieberman sides with tye Pres, outcast him and support the next popular Dem in the area. Both parties suck because they both claim to be the party of the common man and then turn around and tell the common man how stupid they are so they will determine what is best for the common man...

I think the problem with the term limits known as 'elections' is that everyone thinks their own congressman is doing a fine job....it's the morons from the other 49 states that are the problem ;)

...only reason I can figure why we keep re-electing these bums. :D

nah we all know Hillary is an idiot ;)

talk about out of touch!

Lieberman has an ACU rating of 10, making him more liberal than Hillary Clinton and Harry Reid.

yet the leftists despise him. because he wants victory, and doesn't demonize the President. THAT is being out of touch in the democratic party.

*ahem* - this is gonna blow your mind, so you'd better sit down.

Harry Reid and Hillary Clinton are not particularly liberal.

But no way Joe Lieberman can be described as "liberal" - if you see a score that indicates otherwise, then the score system is faulty.

For an example of an actual liberal senator, see Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, or either of Maryland's two senators...

Archived