Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Motors -- Amazing electric car

jrockster21

From the Wired article on the url in the first post.

"The Roadster's sporty styling allowed Eberhard to maximize the car's range and still win a drag race. With its two-person capacity and aerodynamic contours, the lightweight machine can go 250 miles on a single charge. (When connected to a special 220-volt, 70-amp outlet, recharging takes about three and a half hours.) Plus, the sports car class lets Eberhard price it on the high end -- in the range of a Porsche 911 Carrera S, roughly $80,000."

So ... plug it in at night when you are sleeping. Never visit the gas station again. If the electricity comes from non-fossil fuel sources it will have a huge impact on air quality.

At $80k for the two-seater they won't have a huge number of takers, but if there was a version of the engine suitable for a family sedan, this could push the US toward energy independence in less than a decade.

Yeah, I saw this a few weeks ago and signed up for the e-mail list. I'd love to own a car like that. Dissapointing about the $80 grand price tag though. To have any signifficant impact, the price is gonna have to come down a lot.

Yeah, I saw this a few weeks ago and signed up for the e-mail list. I'd love to own a car like that. Dissapointing about the $80 grand price tag though. To have any signifficant impact, the price is gonna have to come down a lot.

bah...they just have to allow for the sort of "creative" financing that lets middle class people buy half million dollar houses. *sarcasm*

In truth, I hope the price does come down, it would be exceedingly cool to drive one of those.

hmmm I dont know if i'd trust a hair band to make a reliable vehicle...

tesla is actually one of the leaders in power generation/test and repair equipment for generator repair. back when I was at ft bliss, I had quite a bit of off the shelf tesla equipment for my motorpool. its not surprising to see them move into this realm.

As I sit here pondering about this car...Delorian popped in my mind...I wonder why :laugh:

Probably the nose candy you indulged in before work! :)

:jk:

Wow...just saw the 80 grand price tag....till they can bring it down, say, 60 grand, looks like I'll be a-pollutin' away!

Interesting automobile.

Let me know when they start making a full size SUV, Pickup truck or van with that sort of gas mileage, a 750-1000 mile battery life, the cargo/towing capacity of the current SUVs/Pickups/Vans that are on the market, and a price tag similar to their gas guzzling cousins.

I don't own or drive sports cars, small sedans or other small cars. They're not effective for the sort of lifestyle I lead. Until these companies start coming out with reasonably priced full size vehicles, this electric/hybrid car craze is never going to really catch on with the average American car buyer.

Probably the nose candy you indulged in before work! :)

:jk:

Wow...just saw the 80 grand price tag....till they can bring it down, say, 60 grand, looks like I'll be a-pollutin' away!

ahhh yes someone who knows why the Delorian went belly up. But seriously...one of two things will happen...it will follow the same fate as the Delorian, or one of the car companies will buy the rights to it, and it will either come down in price and we will see many cars like this or...it will disappear...<insert your conspiracy theory here>.

As I sit here pondering about this car...Delorian popped in my mind...I wonder why :laugh:

My buddy has a Delorean. It runs great smooth as silk.. Funny high pitched noise when you break 90mph though dunno what it is. He won't sell it to me =(

My buddy has a Delorean. It runs great smooth as silk.. Funny high pitched noise when you break 90mph though dunno what it is. He won't sell it to me =(

There was a Delorian for sale up here. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but as for repairing it...from what I heard it's impossible.

ahhh yes someone who knows why the Delorian went belly up. But seriously...one of two things will happen...it will follow the same fate as the Delorian, or one of the car companies will buy the rights to it, and it will either come down in price and we will see many cars like this or...it will disappear...<insert your conspiracy theory here>.

Honestly, if they don't price it for the "normal" consumer, it will just be mostly a curiosity, something cool to see driving down the road. And then, it will disappear.

Perhaps it is just half-hearted attempt to make people feel good and happy about electric cars, but the normal person can't afford this.

Honestly, if they don't price it for the "normal" consumer, it will just be mostly a curiosity, something cool to see driving down the road. And then, it will disappear.

Perhaps it is just half-hearted attempt to make people feel good and happy about electric cars, but the normal person can't afford this.

if it's cheap to make, with that high price tag you'll get enough people buying them....otherwise you wouldn't see lambourginis or ferarris...no matter the tag...people will buy them. They know this. Maybe not you or I, but people will buy them.

Well, the range is very low, the recharge time is very high, passenger capacity is very low and the price tag is too high.

Otherwise it seems like a great car. :)

Hopefully this is just the first step towards developing truly practical electric automobiles. Like Mass said, until they can make these things for the average American it's little more than a novelty.

if it's cheap to make, with that high price tag you'll get enough people buying them....otherwise you wouldn't see lambourginis or ferarris...no matter the tag...people will buy them. They know this. Maybe not you or I, but people will buy them.

I agree with you there...but how many lambourginis or ferarris do you see on the road? I know I don't see too many!

I guess the point I was trying to make is that this seems like an attempt to make an electric car that everyone will take seriously b/c it looks good and has a decent range.

But I would wager, that you wouldn't see the parking lot of Initech (shameless Office Space reference) full of them!

I agree with you there...but how many lambourginis or ferarris do you see on the road? I know I don't see too many!

I guess the point I was trying to make is that this seems like an attempt to make an electric car that everyone will take seriously b/c it looks good and has a decent range.

But I would wager, that you wouldn't see the parking lot of Initech (shameless Office Space reference) full of them!

no you probably won't. But you'll get enough people buying them to make them profitable. As for those types of cars...I actually see a few of them...oddly for my part of the country, but going up the Interstate, I see a few. I had a blast flying by a Lambourgini...but he then ummm put me and my 4 runner back in our place.... :laugh:

Archived