Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

comcast tech sleepin on the job

Leonard Washington

everyone knows comcast sucks but this is classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVp7b5gzqU

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/75727

Napping Comcast Tech Fired

ISP apologizes for 'unsatisfactory customer experience'

Posted on 2006-06-25 11:40:06

Last week we mentioned how a disgruntled user filmed a Comcast technician who fell asleep on his couch - then posted the video to YouTube (which many users doubted the validity of). According to the Associated Press, Comcast has fired the technician, and apologized to the Washington, D.C. user for an "unsatisfactory customer experience."

I know the guy shouldnt have fallen asleep, but Ive had to wait on hold for a long ass time and Ive almost fallen asleep waiting. I think it sucks that comcast fired the guy, but I guess they had to when the video came out. I think a reprimand to the guy and comcast saying they would review their customer service wait times would have been more approiprate.

I know the guy shouldnt have fallen asleep, but Ive had to wait on hold for a long ass time and Ive almost fallen asleep waiting. I think it sucks that comcast fired the guy, but I guess they had to when the video came out. I think a reprimand to the guy and comcast saying they would review their customer service wait times would have been more approiprate.

i agree it sucks they fired the guy. maybe he's tired b/c he's OVERWORKED! i doubt if i've seen a comcast guy who wasn't in a hurry.

Umm, he fell asleep on the job. The firing was warranted. Besides, half of those "technicians" don't know what they're doing, and have no problems keeping you waiting ALL DAY LONG. I hate Comcast, and as soon as I have a realistic alternative, I'm ditching them. Their customer service is the worst.

The music with it was hilarious, but the fact that the guy had to tape this and put it on the internet and get the guy fired is just sickening to me. Seriously, just nudge the guy and wake him up. I'll bet that if the customer had just complained about this later (with videotape evidence if he really wants), the guy wouldn't have been fired, just reprimanded b/c the company wouldn't have had to save face. Comcast's custiomer service is infuriating, but c'mon--have some compassion and understanding for the technician.

The video was a little over a minute long the guy should not have been fired.And the person who made this video has no life. Comcast needs to fire people in managment who have techs waiting in a customers house for a hour on the phone when they have to bee at a two hour time frame within that hour. Customers in this area are too high maitnece anyways everybody thinks there the president:doh: .

After having a near 18 month long nightmare battle with Comcast, I don't have a bit of sympathy and I applaud the video. Note the end when the guy thanks Comcast for nothing... He wasn't out to get the tech, the tech was a microcosm of all that is wrong with COmcast,,, their own tech can't get any service. I felt the same way a thousand times, and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

there is no DSL where i live.. they know it,, so they couldn't care less. If i were an unstable sort, they definitely would have warranted having their offices firebombed many times over.

F Comcast. I live for the day that i can call them up and cancel my "service".

~Bang

After having a near 18 month long nightmare battle with Comcast, I don't have a bit of sympathy and I applaud the video. Note the end when the guy thanks Comcast for nothing... He wasn't out to get the tech, the tech was a microcosm of all that is wrong with COmcast,,, their own tech can't get any service. I felt the same way a thousand times, and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

there is no DSL where i live.. they know it,, so they couldn't care less. If i were an unstable sort, they definitely would have warranted having their offices firebombed many times over.

F Comcast. I live for the day that i can call them up and cancel my "service".

~Bang

Could always go get some AOL :silly:

I was in love with Comcast when they got NFL network, but now I hate them just because of the stupid S remote. I cant get it to synch with my TV and with my LCD I have to wait 30 seconds for it to come back on.

Let me control my own TV Comcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Comcastic! :rolleyes:

God I hate Comcast. The company that I work for has an internet deal with them where we provide them services and they are supposed to bring in more customers to us in return.

What a nightmare. None of their support people have access to the internet and they have all but reneg'd on their end of the bargain to the point that VP's in my company want to write the whole thing off.

How come all I hear on here is how Comcast sucks? We have had them for 3 months now and I think they are great. Super-fast connection and the TV is just like all the other company's we have been with. I don't understand the hate.

Just wait until you lose service. You'll see. Being put on hold for an hour, scheduling a technician in which they give you a 5 hour window for him to show up, he shows up and can't figure out what's wrong.....Just wait, you jinxed yourself. :(

Just wait until you lose service. You'll see. Being put on hold for an hour, scheduling a technician in which they give you a 5 hour window for him to show up, he shows up and can't figure out what's wrong.....Just wait, you jinxed yourself. :(

agreed,, why the hate for Comcast?

Settle in, get a cool beverage and I will tell you my tale.

My internet service was horrible. It would drop in and out at a moment's notice, and occasionally would be out for a day or two or even more.

I do all my business over the internet, and everything I do simply requires a good connection. I don't need a T-1 line or anything. I need to simply be able to upload files to a server and to email files of 2-3 MB.

A lot of you know what I do, and if you don't, I run www.bangcartoon.com

In truth, I have lost advertising deals as a direct result of COmcast. I have had two different occasions with 2 different advertisers in which I was supposed to provide time-sensitive work to that I missed due to my comcast service being down. Both advertisers decided not to advertise on my site.

I also make comedy bits for radio stations across the sports world. On at least ten occasions bits have been expected and then lost.

the problem would be that the 'service' would drop out while the email was mid-send, so they'd get a half-rebuilt (useless) file, and because it was partially delivered, I never knew it didn't go. So, the client would either think I

A/ was incompetent and didn't know how to do what I promised to do. (Had that conversation with a couple of them)

B/ simply failed to produce

All thanks to COmcast.

Now, I called them every time. Every time.

Here is what happens when you call Comcast.

You have wade thru the automated answering system first. MANY times the automated answering system will shunt every single option you press to "pay your bill online" and it will ask you for your credit card so you can make a payment, and it will not let you into any other part of the system.

OK, so let's pretend it doesn't do that. So you have to press thru a dozen different options to get to the hold bin to talk to a "customer account executive".

Oh but wait, before we get to the hold bin, the machine puts us thru four, count them FOUR commercials for Comcast while I am supposedly on "hold". Interestingly, every single time I went on 'hold" i had four commercials. Never once did a tech pick up the phone immediately, even at 3 in the morning. Four commercials, and a few "thanks for your patience,, all of our executives are assisting other customers" messages.

So finally, the Customer Account Executive picks up the phone. He or she will now ask you to repeat things you have already done with the machine, like give them your phone number, give them your account number, confirm your identity.

So you tell them the problem. My internet is down AGAIN. I need it back up AGAIN.

Customer Account Executive will now tell you to unplug the modem and plug it back in in 60 seconds.

Assume this is your tenth time calling about this problem this month. (That is not an exaggeration for my story here.)

You tell said Customer Account Executive that you've already done this. Customer Account Executive now checks his screen. Half the time, due to the fact that my net would drop and come back up any time, the net would look perfect to him.

"Well sir, I don't see anything wrong, it looks fine."

Well, yes, because I've been trying to get thru to you for a half an hour, and since i dialed the phone it has come back up, but I'm telling you, it keeps going down.

well, sir, it looks fine, there's nothing i can do about it. would you like to schedule a technician?

You say yes.

Now, no matter if the net looks perfect to him or is completely dead on his monitor, he will say.. "the next scheduled time I have is Tuesday ..

It is Friday.

You say to the Customer Account Executive,, I make my living on the internet. I REQUIRE a working internet connection. I pay for it, I could understand if it went down once in a while, but it is practically a daily occurence, over and over all day long. You see my history on your monitor, you know how many times I have called, you know how many techs have come here, it should be obvious it's a real problem that needs some real work, you can't get a guy out here in less than four days?

Customer Account Executive now will attempt to sell you the $300 a month business package because you told him you do business on the web.

You tell Customer Account Executive all you need is an email account and a way to connect to an ftp. You don't need all this other stuff.. you are told that if you paid the $300 a month, they'd be able to send a tech out right away.

Occasionally at this point you will get frustrated. You will say something to the Customer Account Executive in your exasperation.

Customer Account Executive will then yell at you. I kid you not. Say the world "sh*t" and see what happens. They are taught to be VERY confrontational when you express your frustration to them. More times than I could count I wanted to chew thru the phone and into their head. They will hang up on you in a heartbeat, and did to me several times.

Now, let's pretend you agree to this appointment. (believe me, lots of times i said forget it.. four days later, what good is it.. i'll just take my chances with it going up and down.)

The tech will arrive, and the net is working perfectly. readings are perfect. there's nothing he can do. He will tell you that there's a lot of noise on a node in the area. Standard BS.

he will leave.

An hour later, repeat the entire process.

Let's pretend that on one of your scores of calls that you have decided to go above the Customer Account Executive and ask to speak to a manager, because no one has been able to help you.

I did this several times. Twice, they simply hung up on me after telling me they were transferring me. Twice they connected me to a "manager". On one of those occasions the "manager" became very agitated and confrontational with me when I told him that this was my upteenth call and nothing had fixed the problem, and that his Customer Account Executives didn't seem to be able to help. He told me he was too busy to be bothered by what sounded like a routine service call, and had I given his Customer Account Executive a chance, he's sure they would have been able to fix the problem. I cursed, and he hung up on me after telling me he did not have to stand and listen to me use foul language.

On the other occasion, the 'Manager" spoke gently, asked a few questions, and when i told him why it was important for me to have a working connection, he attempted to sell me the $300 a month business package.

He also gave me a phone number to the regional director, where I could get the matter expedited. He also authorized a whopping $40 credit on my bill.

The regional director was a machine that took my message and never called back. The $40 credit never came.

Now, None of that is an exaggeration. In my case, when it rained the problem got worse. I kept asking them to check the connections on the pole, see if something is loose, see if a seal is broken. They'd look at the pole and say it was fine. Eventually, one of the techs that came out said that the problem could be due to the fact that the line to my house is 15 years old, and that with the cable pushing all sorts of new bandwidth, it couldn't handle it. So they were going to install me a whole new cable, dig thru my yard, dig out to the pole, and bring me a whole new wire.

So a week later they sent Moe Larry and Curly out, and they dug to the wrong pole.. across the street (cut the road with a ditch witch) and attached my cable to my neighbor's connection, rather than to the proper pole, on my side of the street, with the hub.

They also cut thru my phone line.

the next day Verizon came right out and immediately fixed the line. I asked when DSL would get here,, no idea, says he.

Four days later comcast came back and dug to the proper pole and hooked up the new line..

everything worked great, for a day or two, then it all started again. Same problems. All the time.

Phone call after phone call. Spoke at length about the problem with my county commissioner, he asked me to write it all out and email him with it, and he'd add it to the growing list and maybe we could get the problems solved. Wrote the email. Wrote a letter to Steny Hoyer, my congressman, and told him of the problem. Got a nice form letter in return.

Technician after technician, all reading perfectly when it was up, all with a different story.. a house down the street has a modem that puts noise onto the system and it's messing with my signal, there's an overloaded node, blah blah blah blah blah.

Finally, a guy came out, and lo and behold, he changed the modem.

He swapped out the modem.

And it worked.

And it kept working.

And the problem went away.

Until last spring when it started back up again.

I heard it. I heard a series of clicks behind my modem one night. And then the problems began again.

So I called, and went thru the same as above. This time i suggested each time that the modem was bad, and each time, they insisted it was something else because the modem i had was only a year old. Again, tech after tech came to the house, again finding no problems in my system.

again, after literally two months of this, a guy swapped out the modem. I asked him to. He said, "we can try it, but I doubt it's going to work. the paperwork says it's a problem in the node."

And it worked.

And it is working to this day.

Comcast is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. By ten country miles.

~Bang

agreed,, why the hate for Comcast?

Settle in, get a cool beverage and I will tell you my tale.

:rant:

Comcast is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. By ten country miles.

~Bang

Sorry, I was getting my Coke and pulling up my comfortable chair and I think I missed part of your story. I posted what I heard above. If it's not too much trouble, could you just give me a quick recap as to why you think Comcast is "absolutely the worst company" you have ever dealt with. :whoknows: I'm all ready now-- :munchout:

Oh, wait I think I know why... when you call Comcast...

:phone: ==:gus: + :hammer:.

Alright Bang I'm gonna bust your chops a little here. I worked for a service company (telephone) and we would have the same stuff happen until we fixed it. There would be weeks and weeks where someone didn't have dialtone or internet and they would freak out. When I was a supervisor and the person would ***** at me saying it was business I would give them the same answer you got. If you are doing business all the time at your home then either get a biz connection, change companies, or deal with residential time frames. Of course they are going to try and jack up the price they gotta make money :D.

Comcast is the opposite of where I worked. We shipped replacement modems like it was going out of style...that doesn't fix problems either.

I suggest getting free or cheap dial-up service as a back-up and look into what E-mail client you are using cause that is jacked up. You're message shouldn't send until the entire file has been uploaded to the e-mail server. Also keep in mind there are other companies you can get highspeed from not just VZ and Comcast.

Archived