Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Marcus Allen gets tackled before his then "record run",Do we win the game?(xviii)

michael_33

I know a topic like this is pretty much pointless...But I was curious as too what you guys think about this?

Afterall,some say this is the best Redskins team ever!But do to the fact that we lost the most important game,it kind of gets lost to even us extremeskins fans...

We went 14-2 that year...Lost to the pack 48-47 and ?other team by 1 point as well...Damn??(it has slipped my mind)

2 freakin' points!!!2 games...Very well could have gone undefeated...!

So my question is...? ...If Marcus somehow gets rapped up by someone say Manley...??for example....do we win that superbowl?

And gibbs becomes 4-0 in Superbowls...

And is Theismann to blame for his PISS poor performance that game?

What say you? :2cents:

This missed extra point after the Skins scored on the opening drive of the 2nd half was the killer IMO. The Skins had taken the ball and just drove it right down the field to cut the lead to 21-9 but as soon as they missed the XP you could just feel the wind sucked out of their sails.

By the time Allen broke off his run the game was already over.

The 74 yard TD run? No way

It was 28-9 by then, that was the nail in the coffin

Ya...Your probably right? :mad:

And there wasn't even 2 point conversions then either to help us out...

we would have needed 3 TD's to win that game 29-28 and to play awesome defense...

does anyone know how much time was on the clock we marcus made that 75 yard run?

No the Raiders were more motivated and outplayed us that day. It wasnt our day and they really kicked our butts. That was the best Redskin team ever but choose that day to play their worst game. The 2 games they lost in the regular season were by 1 point to the Cowboys and Packers

the key plays in that game were all in the first half. IF we hadn't had our punt blocked the whole momentum of the game would have changed. same thing goes for the thiesman int at the end of the first half. take away either one of those plays and we have a very different second half

that 83 redskin team could put up points in a hurry though--the regular season game against is raiders is one of the best ever, and the GB game is still the most combined points on a MNF game ever

Man?I don't know how I would feel had we lost the Superbowl to the Raiders by 1 point...That would just SUCK!

Curious...?Did anyone feel a little nervous that day before the game against the Raiders...

Or was everyone thinkin' we would hammer them?

I was only 10,so I just can't remember the details...

Man?I don't know how I would feel had we lost the Superbowl to the Raiders by 1 point...That would just SUCK!

Curious...?Did anyone feel a little nervous that day before the game against the Raiders...

Or was everyone thinkin' we would hammer them?

I was only 10,so I just can't remember the details...

I'm typically pretty nervous when it comes to BIG Skins games...however, I was pretty confident leading up to this Super Bowl. Not too nervous at all. I should have been since we only beat them by one point in the regular season (in what is still one of the all time best games I ever saw). But I thought we would thump them....

...best part about the highlights of this game (if I can bare to watch them) is when Theismann is talking about the screen pass intercepted by Squirek. He says he went to the sidelines and told Gibbs "that was the worst playcall I've ever seen in my life"....

....to which, he says gibbs replied "That's okay Joe. That was the worst screen pass I ever saw in my life" :)

Hell no, I thought we were going to blow them out like everybody else the Skins played that year. But talk about flat. I think the team partied a little early; like the night before.

Definately the punt block and that damn screen pass did it. After the 1st half, the Raiders were riding too high to lose the game.

But I do remember the moment Allen doubled back. I instantly said "Oh ****!" cause I knew he'd be gone.

That day sucked.

The interception at the end of the first half really did us in. If we just take a knee or run up the middle and run the clock out, then go into the locker room and regroup, then it could've been a different game. Instead, we give the Raiders another 7 points.

...best part about the highlights of this game (if I can bare to watch them) is when Theismann is talking about the screen pass intercepted by Squirek. He says he went to the sidelines and told Gibbs "that was the worst playcall I've ever seen in my life"....

....to which, he says gibbs replied "That's okay Joe. That was the worst screen pass I ever saw in my life" :)

And they were both RIGHT!

I know a topic like this is pretty much pointless...But I was curious as too what you guys think about this?

Afterall,some say this is the best Redskins team ever!But do to the fact that we lost the most important game,it kind of gets lost to even us extremeskins fans...

We went 14-2 that year...Lost to the pack 48-47 and ?other team by 1 point as well...Damn??(it has slipped my mind)

2 freakin' points!!!2 games...Very well could have gone undefeated...!

So my question is...? ...If Marcus somehow gets rapped up by someone say Manley...??for example....do we win that superbowl?

And gibbs becomes 4-0 in Superbowls...

And is Theismann to blame for his PISS poor performance that game?

What say you? :2cents:

The other team we lost to that year by a point was the stinking Cowboys. I can understand why you blocked that out of your memory! :) First game of the season when Darrell Green ran down Dorsett.

I was 100 percent sure we were going to win that Super Bowl and go down in history as one of the greatest teams ever. I think the Redskins themselves were the only ones more confident than I. I was stunned during the entire game wondering what team I was watching.

I don't think any one play decided that game, but if there's a play I'd like to have back, it's the infamous "Rocket Screen" that thomasroane mentioned in his post.

I still think that was one of the greatest teams of all time (you could argue our defense was a little porous at times) but it won't be remembered as such, deservedly so.

By the way, thanks for bringing that game up....I think I need a drink now.

Hail,

H

This missed extra point after the Skins scored on the opening drive of the 2nd half was the killer IMO. The Skins had taken the ball and just drove it right down the field to cut the lead to 21-9 but as soon as they missed the XP you could just feel the wind sucked out of their sails.

So true. So damn true

Kind of quirky timing, but I just re-watched the 1st half of that game 2 nights ago.

Yes, the screen pass int (with well under a minute to play in half, btw) and blocked punt for TD's were real killers.

What I didn't recall, however, was just how good the Raiders D was that year. Lyle Alzado, Lester Hayes, Ted Hendricks, Howie Long, Rod Martin, Mike Davis, Matt Millen ... yipes.

Their D really throttled a great Redskins O. That was probably the real difference in that game.

We lost to Dallass in the MNF opener 31-30 after being up at halftime 23-3. We beat the Raiders 37-35 at RFK that year after being down 35-30.

I was very confident that we would beat the Raiders. If we take a knee at halftime I think it would be a different game. We'd have been down only 14-3 with a potent offense. But down 21-3, it took Riggins out of the game and their D teed off on us.

When we played the at RFK, they used the same screen pass to the right side instead of the left. Same type of situation and the Raiders were ready for it. The blocked punt was not that big of a deal. We were only down 7-0. The interception before the half was the back-breaker.

Allen just sealed the deal.

The Redskins were outplayed and outhustled in that game. The vibes from the opening kickoff were negative. The team seems to have quit playing for the season after going up 21-0 on the 49ers in the NFC Title Game, feeling perhaps they had done enough to prove themselves.

There is enough anecdotal evidence about Joe Theismann's conduct in the pre-Super Bowl leadup that the game itself was not enough of a focus for some of the key players on the team.

You combine not being ready to play with playing a team with legitimate talent and the end result is 38-9.

This reminds me of the great quote by Sammy Baugh after they lost the championship 73-0 to the Bears. A reporter asked him, if the Redskins had scored on their first drive, what did he think the score would have been?

Sammy's reply? 73-7.

Keep in mind though...an 11 point lead THEN, isn't what it is NOW. Back then, you still need 2 touchdowns to take the lead...a tie was not an option assuming the other team did not score. NOWADAYS, a TD and a 2xpt along with a field goal ties the game.

If we had just gone in the locker room down 14-3 and come out like we did and score the opening TD of the 2nd half...you have an entirely different story...the extra point wouldn't have been blocked in all likelyhood and the score would be 14-10.

Keep in mind though...an 11 point lead THEN, isn't what it is NOW. Back then, you still need 2 touchdowns to take the lead...a tie was not an option assuming the other team did not score. NOWADAYS, a TD and a 2xpt along with a field goal ties the game.

I realize that but after scoring the touchdown you could feel an excitement in the air and that was quickly deflated when the xp was missed. It was more of an emotional thing as opposed to a strategical issue.

Archived