Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins on Tivo: My Take

MaxHardware

Who else insists on using Tivo to watch the Redskins?

I've been doing it for two years, and I can no longer tolerate watching football of any kind on regular TV.

There are so many advantages.

First, you can zip through commercials. Yes! The game really is an hour in duration, folks. Amazing, isn't it? You sit there for two hours watching commercials. God, it is so mind-numbing. Those commercials break the continuity of the game and cause your fat butt to get fatter.

With Tivo, I can zip through a game in 1.5 hours easy. When the game is good, I can pause it, replay, savor the moments. Not to be missed.

This year I'm watching the skins on HD TV. My challenge will be to find a DVR that does HD. I have a month.

The only disadvantage is that I start watching the game about 1.5 hours after it has started so that I can use the Tivo to skip commercials. On a typical game, I finish watching just a few minutes after the actual game ends, yet I've spent far less time on my duff.

It's hard, though, knowing a game has started and not being able to watch it. I make sure my Tivo has started recording before I walk away!

I start live but do a lot of rewinding and rewatching plays and/or replays so I'm usually a little behind. I never start watching late though. I also don't fast forward anything but commercials. I like listening to the commentary so I can pick it apart and scream at the TV.

A couple of issues with Tivo and Directv: if you're not in the DC area, you have to be careful. If the game is on a broadcast channel, it will be blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket. If you wait an hour or so to start watching, you could fire up your Tivo to find... nothing. The other problem is that you have to set Tivo to record for time, not just the program, because if the games goes into OT it will stop recording when the program block is over.

But I agree -- it's fantastic to watch a game in an hour. And I've got little kids, so if I need an hour-long halftime to take them to the park, I can do it. Reluctantly.

TiVo is great, but I always watch the game live and replay if I want. I have no problem spending three hours watching the Skins (and another three hours watching the next game and another three hours watching the evening game...). In fact, I have several old games and I actually enjoy them better when they include the commercials. Some of the old commercials are entertaining and it gives the game a sense of "realism" as if you're watching it live.

I use TiVo for almost everything other than sports (except for recording which I do with every Skins game).

Hail,

H

I usually watch live, but I also record football on my ReplayTV (a failed competitor to TiVo) for watching later in the week. ReplayTV is great b/c it has a 30-second skip button (which is almost perfect for the time between the end of the play and the next snap) and it automatically skips the commercial breaks. I can usually watch a game in less than 45 minutes.

If you have Sunday Ticket, you can just switch to other games...if you have "Superfan" you can have 8 games on one screen and direct the audio to the game that you want.

Plus, I do alot of "rituals" that sometimes take the entire commercial break...why do you think Sean Taylor picked up that fumble and ran it in against Philly???? It was me!

When I'm at the games, I use my Comcast DVR to record them in HD. I love to come home and watch a win all over again - in HD!. I still have last year's home Cowboys and Giants games on its harddrive. The major beef I have with it is that there's no way to download what you've recorded, so once the season starts, I'll eventually have to delete them to make space for this year's games.

Do you have cable? Comcast DVRs record HD channels, check with your cable company if you have cable.

Oh yea this reminds me, i still have the Skins Cowboys home game on my DVR, in HD, think ill go watch it, again :)

We have a tivo in the bedroom, using just a regular digital cable box, i think this year im going to record most of the games on that, then transfer them to my computer via the TIVO Desktop software. It wont be HD, but the quality will be ok, and the file sizes will be lower than that if they were in HD. :2cents:

I switched from TiVo to Comcast DVR last month and I like it much better. It’s integrated, it can record in Hi-Def AND it has two tuners so that you can watch a channel other than the channel that you are recording. I think it also may be a buck or so cheaper.

BTW, my favorite game to watch over and over is last years Giants at Washington. I always get a kick out of listening to the announcers while having the benefit of hindsight at my disposal.

I watch on Dish Network with DVR. It has a 25-second jump button which is great for going from one play to the setup of the next. I make sure I record the program right after the game just in case it goes to overtime.

Sometimes I have to sit and watch live because the suspense is too much. But oh, man, the commercials are just so painful.

When I'm at the games, I use my Comcast DVR to record them in HD. I love to come home and watch a win all over again - in HD!. I still have last year's home Cowboys and Giants games on its harddrive. The major beef I have with it is that there's no way to download what you've recorded, so once the season starts, I'll eventually have to delete them to make space for this year's games.

Get a DVD recorder for your TV. That's what I do. If you don't want to watch the game again, just run the game at night while burning it to a DVD (or two). They won't be HD, but you'll have the game on disk.

Hail,

H

Get a DVD recorder for your TV. That's what I do. If you don't want to watch the game again, just run the game at night while burning it to a DVD (or two). They won't be HD, but you'll have the game on disk.

I've considered that, but I think I'm going to wait to buy an HD DVD recorder. Also, don't you have a two-hour limit of recording time on a DVD? There's no way I could rely on my wife to monitor the game and insert a new disc. :doh:

Edit: I'm not familiar with the intricasies of a DVD recorder. As I re-read your post, it seems like you record first, then decide if you want to compress the burn. Is that right? If that's the case, I may invest.

Tivo obviously has some big perks with it, but I just can't stand to not watch a game in real-time. Even if I isolate myself from all possible media, just knowing I'm behind the live action makes me feel like I've missed out on something.

Same here. Tivo is wicked cool, but I jsut dont think I could do it.

Who else insists on using Tivo to watch the Redskins?

I've been doing it for two years, and I can no longer tolerate watching football of any kind on regular TV.

There are so many advantages.

First, you can zip through commercials. Yes! The game really is an hour in duration, folks. Amazing, isn't it? You sit there for two hours watching commercials. God, it is so mind-numbing. Those commercials break the continuity of the game and cause your fat butt to get fatter.

With Tivo, I can zip through a game in 1.5 hours easy. When the game is good, I can pause it, replay, savor the moments. Not to be missed.

This year I'm watching the skins on HD TV. My challenge will be to find a DVR that does HD. I have a month.

The only disadvantage is that I start watching the game about 1.5 hours after it has started so that I can use the Tivo to skip commercials. On a typical game, I finish watching just a few minutes after the actual game ends, yet I've spent far less time on my duff.

It's hard, though, knowing a game has started and not being able to watch it. I make sure my Tivo has started recording before I walk away!

I do this for most shows, especially sports, but also for shows like 24 and Rescue me so i can skip commercials. Its the only way to do it IMO. Last season was my first with HD and TiVo, the first 2 games i watched i knew my life had just changed for the better. :)

Anyways, here is my setup for the HD TiVo DirectTV. Kinda pricey, well worth it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/DirecTV_HD_DVR_HD_TiVo/4505-6474_7-30842839.html

I don't know if I could watch a game without commericials. They seem like a part of the experience at this point.

I put aside 9 hours on Sunday's, solely for football. I never want that to change. :)

You have much to learn young Padawan. Once you go TiVo, you cannot go back and you'll never know how you survived back "in the time before."

Like many others, there is NO way I could not watch a game live. I record them and always add an extra half hour to an hour to account for overtime and 4:15 starts.

I recently learned something new regarding getting the games in HD from DirecTV in the local area. At one time, you had to get an antenna in order to get the local Skins HD broadcasts (really an inconvenience). I recently heard rumors that some people were getting their local channels in HD from DirecTV (I guess the FCC laws must have changed). I called and got this synopsis.

You can get HD locals in the Washington DC area if:

1. Have a 5 LNB dish, which will pick up the other satellites recently launched. If not, you will have to get your existing oval triple LNB dish replaced. (The rep said that DirecTV would come out and replace your dish for around $99)

2. You DO NOT have a DVR. According to the rep that I spoke with, the current DVRs use MPEG2 compression. The compression used by the satellites for the local HD channels recently launched use MPEG4. Therefore our existing HD TIVO boxes are incompatible. If you have a non-DVR receiver, you can get the locals from DirecTV now. (I told her that that really wasn't a viable option, and she concurred.)

Now the rep began to speculate that a DVR offering that is compatible with the MPEG4 compression will be offered to customers. She speculated further that an offering might be made before the season starts, but she reiterated that all of this was her opinion, and that nothing official had been made known to them. She further speculated that some type of compensation would be made to offset those of us who have plunked down a pretty piece of change on our existing DVR HD receivers.

Now you might say why is any of this important to me. Well if you are like me, I have the over the air antenna installed, but in my area some of the reception that I get from that antenna is spotty at best for HD programming. So if a game comes on Fox, I'm ok, but on CBS, it fragments. I recently put on a rotor for the antenna, and I still get the same results. Once this offering is made, I would have no reason to really need the antenna at all. I hope I have made what I have learned clear, if not, I would be glad to clarify.

Tivo obviously has some big perks with it, but I just can't stand to not watch a game in real-time. Even if I isolate myself from all possible media

It's sometimes difficult to isolate yourself from live media while the game is on those first couple of hours. You can't turn on the radio, go into Starbucks, or talk to anyone on the phone. But you know what? That's okay. Read a book, catch up on chores. Then when you sit down to watch that game, you can REALLY have fun.

Archived