Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis vs. Betts -- play calling scenarios

chiramu

I know this topic has been discussed a lot, but thought a different twist would be interesting for my first thread.

How is Betts's style different from that of Portis? In what situations is Betts a better choice? Is Portis a better back in the red zone? Is Betts a better choice for 4th downs? When does it make sense to go with one or the other?

I didn't see a lot of differences between the 2 last year. Portis can cut faster but he didn't really get a chance to showcase that ability last year with so many men in the box. This year, with the offence creating more room for the backs, how will Portis and Betts turn the same play into different outcomes? How will the same play end up differently given the individual abilities?

Either way, season needs to hurry up and get here. Hail.

Honestly to me one of the biggest differences is Portis's Blocking ability. I know, craxy, given how awesome of a runner portis is, but he is a spectacular blocker. That means that Portis is going to be in on third downs a lot.

At the same time, At this point in thier careers, betts is the better reciever out of the backfield. This could change, especially since portis is soooo dangerous once the ball is in his hands.

The nice thing is that despite portis's speed, he runs like a guy who weighs 240, just a lot faster. That means that we actually don't need to change too much of the playbook when betts comes in to spell portis, which I expect to happen more often this year.

I expect the subsitutions to be less situational, and more of the sort where we simply give portis drives off. We did this considerably last year, and I expect it to continue in the same vein. Although, the whispers coming out of redskins park about putting them both on the field at the same time are intriguing.

I know this topic has been discussed a lot, but thought a different twist would be interesting for my first thread.

How is Betts's style different from that of Portis? In what situations is Betts a better choice? Is Portis a better back in the red zone? Is Betts a better choice for 4th downs? When does it make sense to go with one or the other?

Portis slimmed down to the 210-212 range which he was about when he entered the league. He is thinking to go with more of speed as that seems to be the way Saunders will base his offense off of rather than, power running.

Ladell Betts is 10lbs heavier, which may not seem like much, but he would be more of the power back/ change of pace back IMO.

If this were my offense and I had to 'punch it in', I would not use much of Portis or Betts but rather Mike Sellers. Use him as your Jerome Betts type back.

I didn't see a lot of differences between the 2 last year. Portis can cut faster but he didn't really get a chance to showcase that ability last year with so many men in the box. This year, with the offence creating more room for the backs, how will Portis and Betts turn the same play into different outcomes? How will the same play end up differently given the individual abilities?

In essense, they are both very similar. With, as you already said, Portis having more speed.

It seems to me, that Portis has the tendency to follow his blockers a little longer before making his cuts. CP has the edge on experience in starting in this league so I would imagine that is where he gets that from. Betts, with more playing time will prove to many that he CAN be a starter in this league. I just pray that it is not real soon. I like him on this squad and it would be sad to see him leave.

:cheers: True words being spoken there! :point2sky

EDIT>>

I agree with Ignatius, CP does have amazing blocking ability.

I think Portis is more effective running off-tackle and around the ends, he has a little more speed than Betts who is a good "north-south type runner", They will compliment each other by changing the pace of the game. !!! :)

Honestly to me one of the biggest differences is Portis's Blocking ability. I know, craxy, given how awesome of a runner portis is, but he is a spectacular blocker. That means that Portis is going to be in on third downs a lot.

At the same time, At this point in thier careers, betts is the better reciever out of the backfield. This could change, especially since portis is soooo dangerous once the ball is in his hands.

The nice thing is that despite portis's speed, he runs like a guy who weighs 240, just a lot faster. That means that we actually don't need to change too much of the playbook when betts comes in to spell portis, which I expect to happen more often this year.

I expect the subsitutions to be less situational, and more of the sort where we simply give portis drives off. We did this considerably last year, and I expect it to continue in the same vein. Although, the whispers coming out of redskins park about putting them both on the field at the same time are intriguing.

Al Saunders will "mix it up and exploit" every facit of the defense., nothing will surprise me and I'm looking forward to a terrific offensive outburst !!! :)

Portis is faster with better cutbacks and blocking ability. Betts hits the hole harder and catches the ball better out of the backfield. With Rock and Nemo thrown into the mix, the Skins are LOADED at RB.

Archived