Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what age did you leave home?

Thanos

I think it wasn't a week after my 18th bday that I was out the door. Whoever said above that being 18 and living with some buddies is bad for you credit score and other things was right. But daaaaamn we had some serious fun. I wouldn't do it different if I could. My folks paid for tuition, until they found me out which wasn't long, and it bought a lot of beer. And dog food too, old Ike the dog ate a whole more consistently than we did. We actually used to hunt rabbits and quail and catch crawdads to eat. :laugh:

After that I was on my own and when I finally went back to finish school it was on my nickle.

I was 24, moved in with my gal in DC.

After school, I could not afford anything decent in the expensive DC area. My folks charged me $350 for the room. I also had to buy the groceries once a month. I also did all of the yard work for my old man.

It sucked.

Right after high school. I can also second the motion that moving in with a bunch of your buddies can be horrible on your credit. I still owe money from four years ago when the *******s I was with trashed our house before we moved out, wretched experience. In retrospect, I would have waited a few years if I had known what I was getting myself into.

I think the "correct" age varies from person to person. I see 40-year-olds at the bowling alley who are less mature than teenagers I know. Maybe they should still be at home, where they can't breed as easily.

I just graduated college and am working full-time, but still haven't left home(s) (unless you count staying at school as "moving out"). My parents are divorced so I just hop back and forth, usually staying at my dad's during the weekends since he's not home at all on Saturday and Sunday.

1. Don't have to pay rent.

2. Don't have to eat out all the time (the extent of my cooking is ramen).

I don't think I'll move out until I marry, har har. By then, hopefully I'll have saved up enough to be able to comfortably afford the crappiest house in NoVA, which will probably still cost half a million.

I didn't leave home, my parents threw me out............

I'm from what you would call a somewhat traditional Italian family. In many of the poorer villages of Italia, it's very common for children to live in their parents home till they get maried. Often, the newly weds live in the parents home till they save enough for their own place.

I moved into an apartment over a barn that my friend Ricks parents owned when I was 18. My parents hated it............. I roomed with Rick for about three months, and moved back home, though I often stayed out all night, or they didn't see me for a few days at a time. When I was 19, I started living in my girlfriends dorm room, and at her parents place on weekends with her. I still kept my parents house as my home base so to speak. My mom insisted on doing my luandrey, and I wasn't gonna complain, and actually slept there from time to time.

It was a pretty weird set up. I would leave the dorm at about 6:00am, and drive the hour to my parents house, and grab cloths for that night. Catch some breakfast with my folks, and head to work. From work, I would drive back to the college (SUNY New Paltz) to hook up with my girl. She would drive home with me on Saturday mornings, and we would drive back to school on Sunday nights. This lasted around 9 months until we got caught together in the shower by the RA after returning from the bars in town in the wee hours of the morning. Hey, how long could I get away with living on the girls floor of a dorm, and not even be a student there no less.

Back to mom and dads :laugh: who were happy as pigs in slop to have me around. The long distance relationship didn't last to long after that........ :( I met another girl soon after, and a few months later we rented a one bedroom apartment in a complex in my home town. We were together for 5 years, and had two apartments in that time till I threw her drunken azz out. I was there on my own for a month or so, but couldn't handel the bills by myself. Being it was a 1 bedroom, I couldn't do the roommate thing, so..................back to my parents place :laugh:

I was at my parents for about a month when a good friend asked me to do him a favor, and rent a room from him. He is a pilot, and would be out of town for weeks at a time and wanted somebody he could trust to look after his house. His girlfriend was also living there, and she felt better having somebody around. NO, no funny stuff. Cat was actually another friends X-wife, and I had known her for many years along with Tom who was now dating her. About 6 months after I moved in, I met Cindy (my wife), and before ya knew it, I was staying at her place almost full time. Another of Toms friends moved into the third bedroom, so Cat had company, and I was off the hook.

My parents saw their chance, and moved to Florida while they could :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I stayed at Cindy's place most of the time, but was still paying rent on the room at toms. A year after we met, she had an engagement ring on her finger. A few weeks later she calls me at work and aske if I wanted to move to CT, and we baught our house in Danbury, and put of the weading for a year.

Hey, you asked....................

My parents had a rule... at 18, I was out of the house, no matter what.

If I wanted to go to college, they would pay for it. If not, fine. Either way, I was out.

So I left when I was 18... graduated,and then moved 400 miles away to start my career.

left for college at 18, got an apartment my sophomore year and stayed in it through grad school...moved back in with my mom after graduation and lived with her for a year...just moved out last month and pay for everything now

Archived