Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is SPORTS TALK 980 DONE IN DC?

occidio

With the arrival of redskins radio (which i have listened to all day and love already) Is Sports talk 980 done for good in D.C??

I personally think sports talk 980 has gone down the toilet since Tony K left.

But other than the John Thompson show why would you listen?

The morning show is horse crap, B Mitch doesnt really know what hes talking about in most issues, only John Thompson is left who battles with the new riggins show.

Well, at least for now, it sounds like they will still have more local sports coverage. I'm going to probably listen to Redskins radio whenever I'm listening, but I can see why people would tune into the Sports Reporters over Mike and Mike.

Think of it this way: It's 10am on a Friday morning during the preseason. Are you going to want to listen to Mike and Mike talk baseball or the Sports reporters discuss the Skins? Hopefully, eventually, the Zebra airwaves fill out with more local shows, but for now, 980 still has that advantage.

i hate the sports reporters and mike and mike are much better.. i think they might have 3 stations so they can broadcast espn or have preempted redskins oriented tv..

I agree Mike & Mike is a better show...if it wasn't, Steve and Andy would be national. However if I can get local Skins coverage vs. national sports coverage, I'm in.

So, if it ever gets to the point where this station has Skins shows when it's relevant, then 980 will suffer. But until then, you're going to see people who still want that local attention over a national broadcast.

I didnt know Redskins radio was gonna be so good but its only day 1 and im excited this station is great if your a redskins fan this is heaven boy danny boy knows how to market so yall fans that hate about the money he brings in dont hate on him hate on your owner. 980 in my opinion is done and i love 980.

I agree Mike & Mike is a better show...if it wasn't, Steve and Andy would be national. However if I can get local Skins coverage vs. national sports coverage, I'm in.

So, if it ever gets to the point where this station has Skins shows when it's relevant, then 980 will suffer. But until then, you're going to see people who still want that local attention over a national broadcast.

But other than John T, if you listen to the 980 guys most of the time they talk smack about the redskins. Especially Czaban. B mitch said D.C is not a sports town. The town he spent his career playing a sport.

I'm looking forward to Redskins Radio... I don't really like Mike&Mike... I also don't like John Thompson (notwithstanding Doc). Sports Reporters is good sometimes, and I don't mind Czaban. Honestly, I'd like to hear the SportsJunkies cover Redskins more often.

Bram was great. Interested in hearing him and Riggo...

Losing Mr. Tony, adding BMitch, makes it tough to listen to much. All that stupid golfing talk from Czabe and gang is unbearable. Coach T, Doc and Al are good, but I don't know that Riggo won't be better. Probably what started all of this is Czabe accusing Gibbs of coming back for the money and getting ready to walk. All of this talk about the Skins demanding a new host for Gibbs because of "tough" questioning is simply bs. He was personally insulted by the team's own "flag" station. If I were Gibbs I would never have spoken on 980 again. Given all of the Skin's dealing with the press and given the fans the view directly speaks to them owning the stations too. 980 only has Czabe to blame.

Any way for us who are not in the DC area to stream the Redskins Radio broadcast?

got a link??

www.triplexespnradio.com

Sports Junkies are a joke....they won't be missed. Sportstalk 980 will have to scramble to keep up with Redskins Radio. And the fact that they have completely pissed the Redskins off won't help.

I can't stand Tony K because of his prejudice against Art Monk, so I'm biased, but I don't think that's when 980 went downhill.

I do think 980 is on life support right now. Not sure they will spend the money to get better talent and to promote their show.

Hail,

H

Losing Mr. Tony, adding BMitch, makes it tough to listen to much. All that stupid golfing talk from Czabe and gang is unbearable. Coach T, Doc and Al are good, but I don't know that Riggo won't be better. Probably what started all of this is Czabe accusing Gibbs of coming back for the money and getting ready to walk. All of this talk about the Skins demanding a new host for Gibbs because of "tough" questioning is simply bs. He was personally insulted by the team's own "flag" station. If I were Gibbs I would never have spoken on 980 again. Given all of the Skin's dealing with the press and given the fans the view directly speaks to them owning the stations too. 980 only has Czabe to blame.

Totally agree with you regarding Czaban. His questions weren't tough, they were stupid and totally without reason. And the thing is, I like they guy. But he was way off base with his dealing with Gibbs. I think maybe Czaban was trying to make a name for himself and it might end up costing 980 in the end.

I find it interesting that 980 now has so many eggs in Czaban's basket. Back to back shows in the AM??? I'm sure part of Snyder's motivation to build a media empire comes from how "The Team" handled the Redskins.

Hail,

H

don't know how 980 will fare in general during the day. I'll say this, I know from 4-7 980's ratings are dead in the water now that Riggo is on. Larry Michael will probably do better then Brian Mitchell only for the reason that he'll have a lot of current players in and out each day. If it weren't for that it would be a dead heat. B Mitch and L.Michael aren't going to win too many personality contests.

No because I can't listen to the XXX Espn Red Zebra whatever you want to call it on my way to work and even if I can it's only for five miles and then I have to change the station. I'd much rather listen to something that comes in half way then something that doesn't come in at all so I will listen to 980.

Totally agree with you regarding Czaban. His questions weren't tough, they were stupid and totally without reason. And the thing is, I like they guy. But he was way off base with his dealing with Gibbs. I think maybe Czaban was trying to make a name for himself and it might end up costing 980 in the end.

I find it interesting that 980 now has so many eggs in Czaban's basket. Back to back shows in the AM??? I'm sure part of Snyder's motivation to build a media empire comes from how "The Team" handled the Redskins.

Hail,

H

Please don't ever call that garbage station "the team" again, they lost that great title when they left 570.

The way I see it both stations largely will suck. All RedZebra is going to have (for now, at least) is national programming with the exception of Riggo's show, which is the only reason to listen to the station right now (of course, anything, including Ben Stein talking about badminton would be considered a good alternative to "Joe the Fan"). Larry Michael? Please.

I think 980 made a good move by going to more locally-based programming, but are the shows (Sports Reporters/B.Mitch/Thompson) taking any more phone calls then they used to? The shows need to take more calls.......I can't take hearing the hosts drone on and on.

As for those who say 980 is on life support.......what exactly will you be listening to during mornings and early afternoons during the season.......Czaban, Pollin, and B-Mitch talking Skins, or Mike squared, Cowherd, and Patrick talking about the rest of the league?

Thought so.

Sadly as a DC sports fan, Czabe is much better talking nationally than local sports. Perhaps he has too much emotion involved. He seems to think that the locals want zany conspiracy theories rather than spot on discussion.

Riggins has always had a way to criticize the team without it actually bothering me.

Same goes for Doc.

Coach T is probably the most spot on when he actually comments on a Redskins related decison and he asks the best interview questions. Everyone gave Coach a bunch of crap about the Lavar ordeal, but they were friends. And, Coach was the only one I heard ask him the tough questions the year before. i.e. the double standard after the Niners game.

Al is the worst IMO. When he took the negative Lavar stance after Gibbs was signed I couldn't listen anymore.

The way I see it both stations largely will suck. All RedZebra is going to have (for now, at least) is national programming with the exception of Riggo's show, which is the only reason to listen to the station right now (of course, anything, including Ben Stein talking about badminton would be considered a good alternative to "Joe the Fan"). Larry Michael? Please.

I think 980 made a good move by going to more locally-based programming, but are the shows (Sports Reporters/B.Mitch/Thompson) taking any more phone calls then they used to? The shows need to take more calls.......I can't take hearing the hosts drone on and on.

As for those who say 980 is on life support.......what exactly will you be listening to during mornings and early afternoons during the season.......Czaban, Pollin, and B-Mitch talking Skins, or Mike squared, Cowherd, and Patrick talking about the rest of the league?

Thought so.

First, one of the biggest problems with 980 is they take too many calls. I don't listen to the radio to hear a bunch of morons insist we should make a trade to get Shaq or because they hate Brunell he should be benched. The shows I like most are the ones that take fewer calls from idiots. For instance, did you notice how many calls Riggo took? I believe zero. I'll take a good radio host over calls any day. Hosts who rely on call-ins do so because they are weak (see Pollin, Andy).

Second, I'll be listening to Mike and Mike, Cowerd, Patrick, and Riggo over the lineup 980 currently has. The 980 lineup is very weak. I like the JT show, but I think I'll like Riggo better.

When the season starts, I'm betting there will be more local shows on Triple X, such as Monday post game shows and Friday pre game shows.

Hail,

H

I dont know how anyone can listen to czaban in the morning, he talks about golf. Watching golf is kind of boring, TALKING ABOUT IT IN THE MORNINGS..... terrible.

There will be a lot of redskins coverage, its a redskins based station with snyder paying espn to have the other talk shows that are espn owned.

If u listened to the riggins show today, you saw how much support they have from ex players to senators to Tony K.

I can see Tony K eventually having his own espn redskins show on the tripleX station which would be sweet.

Andy Pollin drives me nuts. He is fine as a sidekick to Tony but with really doesn't do much at all on his own or with Czaben. Czabe's morning show is okay at best. His arrogance gets old very quickly. Especially after he bashed Gibbs and then folded when he had Gibbs live.

Bmitch is horrible on the radio. I loved him as a Skin but can't listen to him since he can't do an interview with stumbling all over himself and his partner. Unlistenable IMO.

I like JT most of the time. He is about the only thing worth listnening to IMO.

I'm looking forward to Red Zebra and what they can do. During Skins season they are probably going to be light years ahead of 980 since you can bet they will have more breaking news and interviews than 980 will ever have.

Local programming doesn't mean they talk about local sports.

Czabe and Pollin are terrible about talking sports. They know what they know, and don't care about the rest. If Pollin doesn't read it from the paper he has no clue what's going on other than football.

Czabe talks about football and golf. That's it. They both suck and I'd rather listen to a national program then the two of those idiots.

Listening to those two you wouldn't think there were other professional sports in Washington other than the Redskins.

You're right Nighthawk, and that is a big problem. I do wish Pollin and Czaban would spend more time on local sports than they do and I do wish they would take more calls. Surely there has to be a market for local people calling in, unless this area is so transient in nature that people prefer the national shows. I don't.

HailSkinz, we'll agree to disagree about the number of calls we like to hear. I think the reason Riggo had no calls today was because he had his laundry list of guests patting him on the butt congratulating him on his new show. Probably the best sports talk show in recent memory in the area was Ken Beatrice's, and he took plenty of calls. Andy Pollin, on the other hand, treats callers with disdain and prefers not to talk to them. I do hope you're right about the possibility of more local fare on Red Zebra once the season starts.

Archived