Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thompson on 980 with questions in 2006

Live4Skins

Riding home today and had it tuned to 980 and Thompson asked his grunts in the studio about Al Saunders. If Saunders coming to Fed Ex would help the team in 06 and how long would it take.

The response was pretty much what I though myself. I dont remember the guys name who was explaining his expectations, but he basically said that Saunders will drive it down the field. Simular to the 1991 Gibbs team.

The (guy) said it would take time for the team to adjust to the new offense. I hope they learn quickly!

Also a concern of Thompson was what effect would all the FA pick-ups this season have on the players expectation of getting the ball given to him? He made a valid point b/c I too see a "I want the ball thrown to me" scenario. But he was quickly nursed when again "the guys name slips me" said that in Gibbs offense the players are there to win, not to get #'s. He also mentioned that Saunders will have the same effect on this team as did Gibbs in his former years with the Skins. Glad to hear that.

What are you thoughts on what Thompson asked? Do you feel the same way his questions were answered or do you have a different outlook? Hence, players complaining about not getting the ball in the huddle? Team adjustment to the new offense?

Thanks for reading, maybe someone out there got the guys name *he played for Gibbs* who is on The Thompson show?

The (guy) said it would take time for the team to adjust to the new offense. I hope they learn quickly!

Also a concern of Thompson was what effect would all the FA pick-ups this season have on the players expectation of getting the ball given to him? He made a valid point b/c I too see a "I want the ball thrown to me" scenario. But he was quickly nursed when again "the guys name slips me" said that in Gibbs offense the players are there to win, not to get #'s. He also mentioned that Saunders will have the same effect on this team as did Gibbs in his former years with the Skins. Glad to hear that.

What are you thoughts on what Thompson asked? Do you feel the same way his questions were answered or do you have a different outlook? Hence, players complaining about not getting the ball in the huddle? Team adjustment to the new offense?

Thanks for reading, maybe someone out there got the guys name *he played for Gibbs* who is on The Thompson show?

"Smokin Al Coakland" i think.... spelling on the last name might be wrong but you cant every understand what the heck John Thompsan is sayin

I understand the concerns shared by many of the Skins being able to pick-up Saunder's offense quickly and correctly. I believe we really don't have to worry. All the players have said they are picking up Saunders schemes well, even though the players will usually say that, you got to think that Gibbs brought in someone who is also a disciple of Coryell, and would not have brought in a coach with a system so radically different the O would be trying to learn it throughout the season.

If you think about it, Santana Moss went deep a lot last year, but once Patten got hurt, Moss became the only option to go deep, and he drew double coverage.

Look at the '91 and '87 Superbowl teams, and on any given play, there is at least three WRs who might be running a deep post pattern. I think you are going to find that kind of playbook this season where it won't ALWAYS have to be Moss going deep.

Riding home today and had it tuned to 980 and Thompson asked his grunts in the studio about Al Saunders. If Saunders coming to Fed Ex would help the team in 06 and how long would it take.

The response was pretty much what I though myself. I dont remember the guys name who was explaining his expectations, but he basically said that Saunders will drive it down the field. Simular to the 1991 Gibbs team.

John Thompson is a bafoon. He sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and doesn't really know all that much about the Redskins or any sports for that matter. Have you heard him on the show trying to talk about hockey? golf? politics? The guy has no clue and shouldn't be allowed to have a radio show.

The one thing that thompson knows about is basketball. Anything else, I just really can't listen to. I really don't like the rest of the show either. I think that the redskins radio on ESPN will be ten times better than 980. The only thing that I would like better is Czaban. Other than that, I wouldn't really miss 980.

Thompson's concern was that a player coming here after being the number 3 WR with a 10 mil signing bonus would have an expectation of having more balls thrown to him.

Coach Thompson did point out that Patten is healthy and to him it should be the best player not the best paid though everyone knows coach Saunders and Gibbus Maximus will work to spread the ball around and enjoy a season with cupboard that is not bare as far as WR depth.

John Thompson is a bafoon. He sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and doesn't really know all that much about the Redskins or any sports for that matter. Have you heard him on the show trying to talk about hockey? golf? politics? The guy has no clue and shouldn't be allowed to have a radio show.

You people crack me up. How is JT a bafoon? Not everyone in the area is a diehard redskin or football fan for that matter. I dont think a "bafoon" could be considered one of the best college basketball coaches of all time. I think for a BASKETBALL coach his knowledge of the Redskins is fine. It's why there are other people on the show. Could you sit up there and go in depth about hockey and golf meanwhile keeping the chemistry of a talk show going strong?

:rolleyes:

If you think about it, Santana Moss went deep a lot last year, but once Patten got hurt, Moss became the only option to go deep, and he drew double coverage.

Look at the '91 and '87 Superbowl teams, and on any given play, there is at least three WRs who might be running a deep post pattern. I think you are going to find that kind of playbook this season where it won't ALWAYS have to be Moss going deep.

Yeah Actually John mentioned Patten and now that he's healthy that he should be able to step up, and Doc Walker confermed it as saying "Yeah he's healthy and ready to go". So they expect a lot from Patten.

Yeen80

I personally take that remark as not only offensive but discrimenative. Please think about what you write before you let your fingers get ahead of your brain. You were better off not replying to my questions.

SiestaBob

Doc Walker was answering John Thompson's questions about the Redskins and Al Saunders. His answers came from his playing days with Joe Gibbs.

Thank you, I confirmed the report today from my neighbor.

NavyDave

Thompson's concern was that a player coming here after being the number 3 WR with a 10 mil signing bonus would have an expectation of having more balls thrown to him.

Coach Thompson did point out that Patten is healthy and to him it should be the best player not the best paid though everyone knows coach Saunders and Gibbus Maximus will work to spread the ball around and enjoy a season with cupboard that is not bare as far as WR depth.

He mentioned his health and Doc confirmed that he, Patten should be hungry to prove all the ney sayers wrong about his performance this season.

LiveStrongSkins

You people crack me up. How is JT a bafoon? Not everyone in the area is a diehard redskin or football fan for that matter. I dont think a "bafoon" could be considered one of the best college basketball coaches of all time. I think for a BASKETBALL coach his knowledge of the Redskins is fine. It's why there are other people on the show. Could you sit up there and go in depth about hockey and golf meanwhile keeping the chemistry of a talk show going strong?

:rolleyes:

Couldnt of said it better LSS, sometimes its just better to keep it to yourself and not embarrass yourself.

I personally take that remark as not only offensive but discrimenative. Please think about what you write before you let your fingers get ahead of your brain. You were better off not replying to my questions.

How is that discriminative?

What offended me was the spelling of buffoon. I swear, I don't think I'll ever see the day when someone can actually call someone else an idiot without misspelling a word in the same sentence. Other than that, it's not discriminative. You being offended by the statement seems to be more of a knock on you.

As for the part the guy said about the new guys causing problems because of the balls thrown their way, I hope and would assume that Gibbs explained to them beforehand that that kind of thing doesn't belong here.

As for the part the guy said about the new guys causing problems because of the balls thrown their way, I hope and would assume that Gibbs explained to them beforehand that that kind of thing doesn't belong here.

I would also assume that they were smart enough to notice on the roster a guy named Santana Moss. I seriously doubt you will hear a peep from either if we are winning which I expect we will be.

I would also assume that they were smart enough to notice on the roster a guy named Santana Moss. I seriously doubt you will hear a peep from either if we are winning which I expect we will be.

Yeah, I don't think ARE would mind either way since he seemed okay in Pittsburgh, but I don't know about Lloyd. He came from being the main receiver in San Fran, so he might need the attention (BTW, I really am just basing my opinion on the position, having no clue about Lloyd's personality).

Doc's analysis about the team adjusting to a new offense and new personnel may actually be more serious than I have taken time to consider. I may have fallen into the same trap that our fanbase was falling into during the Snyder/Turner years. Every season we thought we had a winner because of the new player acquisitions and "upgrades" in defensive coaching. We learned the hard way that this does not always spell success.

We had a good season last year but that may not translate to the coming season at all. I have a lot more faith in Joe Gibbs, of course, than I did in Norv Turner- but- we all must admit that we have shaken up our roster this year in a big way- AGAIN.

This is exactly what Snyder used to do and it never worked. New players and new coaches every season only kept our team in the dark year after year. Last season we kept the roster and coaching staff virtually the same and it payed off. Now we head into a new season with many personnel changes and an entirely new offensive coach. The reality we may be facing is that any team would need not just preseason but REGULAR season time to iron out the wrinkles. This could easily translate to early season losses and a missed playoff berth which will almost assuredly bring about criticism from media and ridicule from opposing fans, all saying that Gibbs could not change Snyder's free-dealing ways which condemn us to mediocrity- AGAIN.

I'll say once more that ultimately I'm banking on the proven point that Joe Gibbs is the difference and that this team should maintain some continuity of purpose and concentration. However, we should keep in mind that it could be a tough early-going this year due to the changes and therefore try not to lose our composure as fans during the first part of the season.

(I also realize that I am not sticking to the point of this thread but Doc's points lead me to consider things I hadn't as of yet.)

"Not a sermon...just a thought." ;)

Yours truly,

Chachie the Pessimist Who's Trying to Change His Miserable Ways

I didn't hear this particular show, and I definitely wouldn't go as far to calling Thompson a buffoon, but I do think he tends to "play dumb" a little too much when it comes to the Skins and other sports. Yes, he's a former basketball coach so that's what he knows best, but how long has he been doing this show? At least a few years.....Come on......

My fault for spelling "baffoon" incorrectly.

Now, how on earth is what I said dicriminatory? A man who doesn't know much outside the realm of basketball shouldn't be having a radio show, white, black, red, green, whatever. Live4Skins you are looking waaaay to deep here.

The man clearly was an outstanding coach, but he often pretents to know about golf, hockey, and even sheds his light on politics, which is great, but this is a sports show.

Which leads me to another question. Outside of his analysis on basketball, what purpose does he serve on the show? He should be the special guest, since everyone else doesn most of the talking.

One thing I think Coach Gibbs does is an excellent job at leadership. Especially in this day in time. Why? Well since he became a HOFer look at all his experiences since then to include all his readings and knowledge of lessons learned. No there wont be any personality conflicts acts of anymosity or displays of premadonnas because they'll be gone so fast they'll think the sky is falling.

No I've never been in a team meeting, post game coaching speech and never have been in the club house. But the Redskins is the only team I've ever died for and guarantee you there wont be any TOs going on this team or Moss' Randy that is....everybody will be happy with Mark Brunnel, CP, S&T, Wynn, Thomas, Jansen, Washington, Moss, putting down any cancers that even look like they're getting started and besides character is the first ingredient to being a Redskin and those free agent pick ups are thoroughly informed.

Archived