Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bush caught off-guard in chat with Blair: CNN.com

nelms

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/17/bush.tape/index.html

Bush caught off-guard in chat with Blair

President: 'They need ... to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s___'

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (CNN) -- An open microphone caught President Bush in an unguarded moment Monday as the escalating crisis in the Middle East prompted him to use an expletive in a conversation with British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Bush and Blair were unaware that an event at the Group of Eight summit was a photo opportunity, with media representatives present. Blair later turned off the microphone.

The president was expressing frustration at the United Nations' stance on the Israeli-Hezbollah conflict in Lebanon.

Apparently not expecting an open mike to pick up his remarks, Bush told Blair: "See the irony is what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s___ and it's over."

Earlier Monday, Blair and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan called for the deployment of an international force in southern Lebanon to help end the spiraling conflict between Israel and Hezbollah, the Islamic militant group that holds seats in the Lebanese government. (Full story)

The United States and Israel say that Hezbollah receives financial and political assistance, as well as weapons and training, from Iran and Syria.

The fighting began last week after Hezbollah guerrillas abducted two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid.

"What about Kofi Annan?" Bush asked Blair. "I don't like the sequence of it. His attitude is basically cease-fire and everything else happens." (Watch Bush explain why Israel has "every right" to defend itself -- :59)

Blair responded, "I think the thing that is really difficult is you can't stop this unless you get this international presence agreed."

Bush has resisted calling for a cease-fire between Hezbollah and Israel. The United States seeks Hezbollah's dismantlement under U.N. Security Council Resolution 1559, which calls for the "disbanding and disarmament of all Lebanese and non-Lebanese militias."

Bush said that he feels "like telling Kofi to get on the phone with [syrian President Bashar] Assad and make something happen. We're not blaming Israel, and we're not blaming the Lebanese government."

Bush also told Blair that he would be sending Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to the region soon.

"She's going," Bush said. "I think Condi's going to go pretty soon."

Despite the president's remarks, the White House told The Associated Press that it had nothing to announce about a Rice trip to the Middle East.

Earlier Monday, Annan said the Security Council would have to discuss the matter of an international presence, but he said a force would be only a part of a comprehensive plan to stop the cross-border attacks.

Annan appealed to both sides to "focus their targets narrowly and to bear in mind that under international humanitarian law, they have an obligation to spare civilian lives" and infrastructure.

I hope the FCC dosent go on a witch hunt now that CNN played the tape without bleeping "S%$#"

-Grant

Its a big conspiracy to blame Bush for what the FCC does. I heard Nancy Pelosi and her Ultra-libs wrote a paper on it in the 90's. :laugh:

whats the big deal saying ****?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: except for the fact that he's like the top role model for kids.....theres a scary thought :doh: and it could kill his image, because he is supposed to be a highly devout christian and all that so im gonna turn on the news to see it. hopefully jon stewart and stephen colbert will comment on this tonight. i doubt they will mention this slip up on FOX news......fair and balanced news :doh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: except for the fact that he's like the top role model for kids.....theres a scary thought :doh: and it could kill his image, because he is supposed to be a highly devout christian and all that so im gonna turn on the news to see it. hopefully jon stewart and stephen colbert will comment on this tonight. i doubt they will mention this slip up on FOX news......fair and balanced news

Let's impeach him. :rolleyes:

I think it is great what he said. I only wish he would have said, "we start bombing the @#$#@$@ Iranians in twenty minutes".

then he will say "dylan, get your ass over here and get me my oil." :( then he will say "i told you to dodge those ****ing rpgs you dumb****" :doh:

As I said in the other thread, I think it was brilliant. He was able to say things to Blair that he couldn't necessarily get away with coming out and saying. By saying it "privately" it's read into as real and not just another battle of semantics that diplomacy often turns into.

I think the true story here is that Bush thinks Syria can or will do anything to stop Hezbollah.

Uh, why couldn't they? It's a known fact the Hezbollah is supported by both Syria and Iran. We have much more leverage with Syria than we do with Iran. Syria could stop this if we pressured them enough.

Guest Gichin13

I actually feel a little bit comforted hearing this is what he is saying. I agree in part with his statements.

Uh, why couldn't they? It's a known fact the Hezbollah is supported by both Syria and Iran. We have much more leverage with Syria than we do with Iran. Syria could stop this if we pressured them enough.

I just don't think Syria is going to pay us any more than lip service on this one. Also, like you said, Iran is involved deeply and we have zero control over them because we have zero relations with them.

Archived