Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shuttle comming down.

Larry

There down safely.................

They came right over our area again, with the glide path a few miles south of us. Got an extremely loud double sonic boom, with a few car alarms being set off. I made sure the dog was in the yard so she would stop barking quicker, being she get even more nuts when the windows rattle and runs around the house looking for what made the noise.

Edit: I've been on NASSA TV since 7:30 this morning listening to the chat between mission control and the shuttle right up to the landing. Very cool.

Did anyone else see the video on NASATV of the boosters being jettisoned?

They had a camera attached to one booster and it broadcast from release to splashdown, angled down so you could see the ocean. Cool stuff.

Which program? NASA or the shuttle? And why do you feel this way?

The shuttle and a lot of NASA. What are we getting for the billions of

dollars that we are spending? The shuttle goes up, they do a spacewalk,

resupply the space station, carry up some mostly lame experiments.

I would prefer that they put the money, focus, and brain power towards

solving some of the very real problems we have here on "earth".

The alternative fuel situation for one thing. Just think we need to

reprioritize some things.

HSW, I understand your viewpoint but disgaree. The shuttle does conduct scientific experiments in space and while the results of those tests seem to have little to no results so far, it doesn't mean five years from now they won't become a huge scientific break. Exploration has always been an integral part of the US history. The unfortunate issue regarding exploration is that it may take years before a discovery is made. In regards to using NASA's budget to fix "earthly" problems, well, there's plenty of areas in gov't spending I would cut first before gutting NASA which IMO is an American Icon and source of pride. One area of course would be the foreign aid we give(I'm not going to get specific on this issue since, well that's off topic). That's my thought.:)

HSW, I understand your viewpoint but disgaree. The shuttle does conduct scientific experiments in space and while the results of those tests seem to have little to no results so far, it doesn't mean five years from now they won't become a huge scientific break. Exploration has always been an integral part of this US history. The unfortunate issue regarding exploration is that it may take years before a discovery is made. In regards to using the NASA's budget to fix "earthly" problems, well, there's plenty of areas in gov't spending I would cut first before gutting NASA which IMO is an American Icon and source of pride. One area of course would be the foreign aid we give(I'm not going to get specific on this issue since, well that's off topic). That's my thought.:)

I hear you. NASA used to be a huge source of pride for our country.

It has slipped real bad. Most folks do not care anymore because

they realize that they are just doing the same thing over and over

again. A shuttle mission used to be huge...we would watch it in

school. Not just in the science dept...the whole school. Now it

barely rates a min or two on the news.

All of NASA's spaceflight operations, when added together, comprise about three quarters of one percent of the country's discretionary budget.

NASA as an entire entity, including non-space applications, uses 2% of the discretionary budget.

And that total budget number doesn't even count the absolutely massive non-discretionary stuff like Social Security, etc. So the real percentages of total spending are even smaller.

Things larger than all of NASA's space flight operations put together:

- Missile defense (150% the size)

- IRS (170% the size)

- Border security (270% the size)

Talk about your largely ineffectual larger targets.

The Space Shuttle's time is just about over, but there's plenty of more worthwhile work to be done by future systems.

Trying to "reprioritize" by cutting or killing NASA is like trying to clean up your entire desk by meticulously arranging a single box of paper clips.

All of NASA's spaceflight operations, when added together, comprise about three quarters of one percent of the country's discretionary budget.

NASA as an entire entity, including non-space applications, uses 2% of the discretionary budget.

And that total budget number doesn't even count the absolutely massive non-discretionary stuff like Social Security, etc. So the real percentages of total spending are even smaller.

Things larger than all of NASA's space flight operations put together:

- Missile defense (150% the size)

- IRS (170% the size)

- Border security (270% the size)

Talk about your largely ineffectual larger targets.

The Space Shuttle's time is just about over, but there's plenty of more worthwhile work to be done by future systems.

Trying to "reprioritize" by cutting or killing NASA is like trying to clean up your entire desk by meticulously arranging a single box of paper clips.

Yup ... 'earmarks' on the federal budget, i.e. pork barrel spending, is close to 60% of the whole NASA budget. There are plenty of other areas where the federal budget could be better spent before we get to NASA.

Archived