Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can anyone help me with this Norton AVG stuff?

B.Lloyd

I have a string of virus from 4 years ago until today, and they're all in the virus vault. All of them are unhealable. The two options are to restore them or delete them. What I'm afraid of is if I restore them they will be back on my hard drive and start infecting files. If I delete them they may be some important files. Is this correct or am I wrong. Please advise. Thanks.

I have a string of virus from 4 years ago until today, and they're all in the virus vault. All of them are unhealable. The two options are to restore them or delete them. What I'm afraid of is if I restore them they will be back on my hard drive and start infecting files. If I delete them they may be some important files. Is this correct or am I wrong. Please advise. Thanks.

How in the world do you have virsus's from 4 years ago? Not that it really matters, just wondering. Anyhow, Look at the files that are infected. See if the files infected have a path to one of your main programs. If they have a path similar to this just delete them; c/documents and settings/"your name" etc....

If you want futher advice you really need to list exactly what 4 files are infected but if they start out with c/documents and settings/etc.... just delete them.

How in the world do you have virsus's from 4 years ago? Not that it really matters, just wondering. Anyhow, Look at the files that are infected. See if the files infected have a path to one of your main programs. If they have a path similar to this just delete them; c/documents and settings/"your name" etc....

If you want futher advice you really need to list exactly what 4 files are infected but if they start out with c/documents and settings/etc.... just delete them.

Thanks and to answer your question I've had this computer since 2000 and my sister used to download a lot of music which would explain for all the problems and we used to get a lot of junkmail.

Personally, if your computer has been running for four years I would backup all your important data files and wipe your hard drive. Then, start with a fresh install and reinstall all your important data files. You should wipe your drive about once a year to keep it clean.

Personally, if your computer has been running for four years I would backup all your important data files and wipe your hard drive. Then, start with a fresh install and reinstall all your important data files. You should wipe your drive about once a year to keep it clean.
This is my older computer so I don't keep much track of it but my better computer which is an XP hasn't had a virus yet.

Yeah half of them were that here are the rest:

*C:/x.exe

*first_part.pif

*C:/WINDOWS/s...

*Work and taxes.rar

*price_new.zip

-c:/x.exe is this the complete filname of what is infected? If so delete. This is a executable file and if it is part of one of you other progams this could be a problem, but i doubt it..

-Work and taxes.rar Do you have a program that is installed in you computer with this name? If not delete.

The other 2 you can delete without worry. I am pretty sure you can delete the other 2 also. It looks like you got some kind of pop up virus.

Sorry, The only 2 I would hesitate to delete is the c:/x.exe(wich I believe you can but it would help if you would post the entire path) and the other is Work and taxes.rar(If this isn't a file that your fimiliar with on your computer I would delete it but only if you don't have a program called "Work and Taxes")

The other 3 you can delete.

OK,

1) If Norton has quarantined the files, then you're already not using them. (Any executable code in them isn't being executed.) That means that if one of the infected files is needed for something or other, then whatever it is "broke" when the file was quarantined.

Therefore, if one of those files is needed for something or other, then whatever it's needed for is something you haven't used for (up to) four years, anyway.

2) If the file (before infection) was a data file, then the reason Norton can't clean it is because the data's been completely overwritten by the virus, anyway.

In either case, if you've quarantined the file and nothing seems to have broken, then it's safe to delete it.

Here's some advice: GET RID OF NORTON. Never had so many problems with a computer as I did with Norton's crappy ass AV. I recently switched to avast (free), and have had zero problems.

Wow, I've heard that also. It's like buying anti-virus software so you can install adware.

Wow, I've heard that also. It's like buying anti-virus software so you can install adware.

If you try to install complimentary/additional adware removal software, Norton freezes up your computer. Its a HUGE pain in the ass. I have Avast and am running adaware (at the suggestion of somebody), and my computer is running smoother than ever. When I first ran adaware, I came up with like 38 spyware programs that stupid ass Norton never caught.

CRAP.

If you try to install complimentary/additional adware removal software, Norton freezes up your computer. Its a HUGE pain in the ass. I have Avast and am running adaware (at the suggestion of somebody), and my computer is running smoother than ever. When I first ran adaware, I came up with like 38 spyware programs that stupid ass Norton never caught.

CRAP.

I dont believe that norton by itself removes spyware unless you have norton anti-spam installed.

ive had norton for a year and havent had a single problem with it. yes i prefer mcafee but and yes norton is a systems resources hog but it gets the job done pretty damn well.

You're in the minority.

Its cons by far out-weigh its pros.

Its much easier to go with a combination of free AV & ad-ware detection because they're usually less cumbersome than pay-for-products. Comercial products are usually larger and take up more system resources, and when you have more than one...oi...they love to conflict with each other.

I'd like to take the time to mention that I am tech on the side working through college and in my experience the ONLY people who think Norton sucks are people with sub-par computers.....majority of those who think norton sucks who have decent computers don't have a machine as good as they think.......

I have used norton in ALL of my systems who run online.....and I have ....geeez....*looks around*.......8 ???......prolly more in the closet......

Yes Noton hogs resourses but that # never exceeds 100M including their firewall......the only way norton truely "locks" a computer up is through the cpu% which won't happen unless you are running less than a A64........my XP's and semprons sometimes have this issue but it's a small price to pay......

AVG, Panda, that other one ^^^ said, one touch, pestpatrol and ESPECIALLY McAfee are highly rated on some forums but this isn't because of the size of their detection database it's due to their ease of use and speed of the scanners.........due to the immense quality of Nortons software it IS slower , but again....a small price to pay for the best........speed and ease of use is never a good trade for quality and dependablility.......if ya don't believe me call your company and ask them specifically how many megs their detection file is......they'll put you on hold and get a manager but when he answers you , you'll be suprised how suckage some of these other guys are......

As for the crashing of computers......I usually teach mine a lesson once every 6 months.......I hate all the loop holes in windows but Macs make me wanna cry and Linex......well.....I've never even bothered........

CRAP.

1) I've been professionally installing Norton and AdAware, (and Spybot, which I also recommend), several times a week on my customers computers without a single problem. I also use both programs on every computer I own, and every computer at work.

2) It's really unlikely that your computer had 38 spyware programs. In my experience, most spyware programs really don't "share" worth crap. Merely haveing two ot three competing pieces of spyware will usually render a system completely unusable.

38 tracking cookies, or one program being found in 38 places in the registry, I'd easily believe. (I think the record here in the store, for "most hits from Spybot" is over 300.)

3) The reason "stupid ass Norton" didn't tell you about "38 spyware programs" might be because you had "stupid ass Norton Anti-Virus". Stupid ass Norton doesn't make a stupid ass anti-spyware product. The 2005 version of their anti-virus program did make an effort to detect a few other threats (spyware, adware, and so forth), and the 2006 version spots a lot more. But the 2006 version is the first one that even claims to find spyware.

(Now, if you want to claim that Norton 2006 is a resource hog, then you'll get a ringing endorsement from me. Since I work mainly on older systems, I have seen a lot of folks who really needed to upgrade their systems just so they could run the latest Norton.)

4) In short, I'd conclude that the problem here isn't stupid ass Norton.

The quick answer to your question is that over 99% of all files that will go to the virus vault that cannot be cured are the virus files themselves, the only real thing that can be said about this is that you are unable to use any files in the virus vault, deleting them will only remove them from the virus vault and not actually cause any damage to the pc.

As for the remaining % of files that are in the virus vault that you are affraid are important.... they are infected beyond repair and frankly if you havent needed them by now then you either aren't going to need them or they are likely beyond any sort of recovery anyways so I would just delete them.

Good luck with your decisions.

I'd like to take the time to mention that I am tech on the side working through college and in my experience the ONLY people who think Norton sucks are people with sub-par computers.....majority of those who think norton sucks who have decent computers don't have a machine as good as they think.......

I have used norton in ALL of my systems who run online.....and I have ....geeez....*looks around*.......8 ???......prolly more in the closet......

Yes Noton hogs resourses but that # never exceeds 100M including their firewall......the only way norton truely "locks" a computer up is through the cpu% which won't happen unless you are running less than a A64........my XP's and semprons sometimes have this issue but it's a small price to pay......

AVG, Panda, that other one ^^^ said, one touch, pestpatrol and ESPECIALLY McAfee are highly rated on some forums but this isn't because of the size of their detection database it's due to their ease of use and speed of the scanners.........due to the immense quality of Nortons software it IS slower , but again....a small price to pay for the best........speed and ease of use is never a good trade for quality and dependablility.......if ya don't believe me call your company and ask them specifically how many megs their detection file is......they'll put you on hold and get a manager but when he answers you , you'll be suprised how suckage some of these other guys are......

As for the crashing of computers......I usually teach mine a lesson once every 6 months.......I hate all the loop holes in windows but Macs make me wanna cry and Linex......well.....I've never even bothered........

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but you are wrong about norton haters being ppl that are inexperienced or who have computers worse than they think, yada yada...

First things first, I would say that up untill the 2003 version that Norton was the best thing out there. When their 2004 program came out it looked good too, untill you had to upgrade to 2005 or remove it for repair or whatever. You couldn't remove the program without having to manually edit the registry and follow a 2 hour set of instructions from symantec to fix the problem. Not to mention that all sorts of spyware installing trojans were not detected because "they were spyware and not viruses and thus not symantec's problem", This was a quote from when I called and spoke to symantec about this problem.

Then came 2005, while the problems with uninstalling this one for upgrades weren't as bad, you still had the same problem when you went to remove it if the program was somehow damaged. But beyond that, it detected all sorts of malware and trojans and couldn't or wouldn't do anything with them. The quote I got from symantec this time was "We make anti-virus software not anti-spyware software, we alert the user to the problem but some we are just not able to deal with." basicly still the "they were spyware and not viruses and thus not symantec's problem" line from the year before.

I haven't bothered with 2006. I no longer trust that company to do what they say they will do. That is to say I haven't bothered with the consumer of symantec antivirus 2006. Their corporate antivirus rocks, it takes care of all viruses and spyware trojans without fail from what I have seen, and has for the past few years, it just isn't as user friendly. It uses the same userdatabase that you place in such high esteem as their consumer version.

All this comes from someone who worked in and owned his own computer shop and worked with thousands of computers over the past 5 years. I have experience with Symantec and I have reason to both hate and distrust their consumer based products, and that is just the problems I have experienced with their anti-virus software, I won't even get into the problems with Internet security and personal firewall.

Mcafee is just as bad as norton so don't trust them either...

Panda, Kaspersky, AVG, These are the ones I trust.

I have many computers in my house that run windows for more than 6 months, that is because I know how to properly maintain them. I know how to fix problems with windows when/if they arise with something other than a reloading of windows. I know how to research problems and fix them properly. You see, reloading windows every 6 months just isn't for everyone. You can't turn into Dell and reinstall windows for every little OS problem that arises since most of them are caused by other software and are likely to rear their ugly heads again not too far away....

Please forgive the angry tone, but I say that NORTON SUCKS, and I am none of the things that you proclaimed. I don't like when some self proclaimed computer tech starts spouting the drivel that you have here giving us all a bad name with your horrible advice, especially with all the "help me" threads you have posted here having to deal with computers.

Archived