Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Requesting Disney reviews

Larry

Hoping for a firsthand report concerning Disney. I'm going down there in two weeks for an annual meeting with my Bro from Oregon and his now-five-year-old.

Last place we stayed was Polynesian (thanks to recommendations from several ESers). Great place, but we decided to try someplace different, among other reasons, because we thought the food in the restaurants was a bit too exotic. (Although, granted, the kid was fine once we discovered that the adults could eat where we wanted, and the staff would go get mac and cheese or pizza from the fast-food place downstairs for the kid.)

We're currently booked at Wilderness Lodge, where we stayed 6-7 years ago.

But being considered is the "cabins" at the Fort Wilderness RV park. (For those unaware, Disney has basicly parked a bunch of double-wides on several of their RV pads. Each "cabin" has a bedroom with a queen and a bunk bed, and a murphy bed in the living room. A dining room, mini-kitchen with microwave, charcoal grill on the deck outside, and so forth.

I'm hoping some of the folks 'round here (workin on my frontier lingo) have set a spell thereabouts, and'll talk about it.

To me, the hotel is a known quantity that's just about guaranteed a good choice.

Possible disadvantages I see about the cabins are:

• Transportation. From what I remember of the campground (stayed there in an RV about 10 years ago), it's really spread out. I'm imagining our cabin being a mile from the swimming pool and/or other transportation.
  • The description on the web page doesn't mention anything about the pools having, say, a water slide. (Talen really digs water slides).

Possible advantages I can see:

• Because my bro is bringing his GF and her two-year-old, we're looking at two hotel rooms, but my pro is on an economy thing (he's paying for the GF). He thinks one cabin would do for the five of us. And one cabin is about $2K cheaper than two hotel rooms. (We're staying a week.)
  • I've never eaten in the restaurants, but the discriptions on the web page look like you've got a choice of BBQ and a show (dinner); BBQ, a show, and Mickey Mouse (dinner); a BBQ buffet (break, lunch, or dinner); or do-it-yourself on the grill on the deck.
    I could see the food arraingements of this plan working out well.
  • OTOH, there's also no reason we couldn't sleep in the hotel, and eat in the campground's restaurants.

So, anybody got any firsthand reviews of staying in the campground?

Larry,

If you are concerned about price AND meals, stay at one of the chaper All-Star resorts. You can find rooms from $79/night. Then get a meal plan. for adults its about $39/night. Kids $11/night. Then you can east basically anywhere and dis-regard the price.

I have never stayed at the campgrounds. But one of the all-star resorts would be a good compromise between the 2. Plus pools are really close.

Larry, there are some people who will sell their week or weeks they own at a timeshare facitlity on Ebay. Some of them are at the Palms resort which is beautiful. You might be able to pick up a weeklong stay from someone for like 600-700 bucks.

Just be careful, don't get involved in a package that requires a timeshare "tour". You'd need to purchase your week stay from an actual "owner".

People also rent condo's in the disney area and that might be a cheaper way to go as well, since condo's have kitchens and food therefore becomes less expensive.

edit: I forgot you can probably also rent a house for a week in the Kissimmee area which is maybe 20 minutes at best from Disney.

A few things for today, and lots tomorrow if you want.

Advantages at Fort Wilderness (We've stayed there twice).

- extra room. You would gt the Murphy I assume leaving your bro and GF and 2 kids in the queen and bunk. The Murphy is very comfortable and has a couch next to it so it has extra room.

- breakfast in the room. Saves a fortune. Also allows you a night in to grill out.

- Chip and Dale movies/ bonfire. Everynight they show a free movie and bon fire hosted by Chip and Dale (marshmallows extra).

- Petting zoo. If you like that kind of thing

- GREAT restaurants. The BBQ joint is a buffet and it is fantastik. They also have a dinner show there called the Hoop De Doo revue which is a lot of fun for both kids and adults, has good food (all u can eat family style) and BEER AND WINE!!!!!!

Downside- you need to take buses within the resort to get places unless you rent a golf cart, which I reccomend if it's not too late.

Pool is very limited. Just an old fashioned recatngle. No slides etc. They used to allow guests to use Wilderness Lodge pools as well, but I think that stopped.

1 bathroom. think about it.

Some more things I like about it. You can park right next to the cabin. This is great when you want to drive to parks other than the Magic Kingdom (free parking for guests) or to Downtown Disney, ESPN zone etc.

Boat ride to Magic Kingdom. I just like it.

Plenty more on other resorts that might fit tomorrow. Just remind me.

K17

Yeah, I knew about the boat ride to MK. I've stayed in the campground, but it was in an RV, in the off season, which ment we were a short walk from the store, boat dock, and bus stop. I get the impression, from the map, that your campsite may be considerably farther away.

The restaurants looked like a big plus. Entertainment, Mickey, and american BBQ cooking. Although, what I'm leaning towards right now is staying in the Lodge, and driving to the restaurants in the campgrounds.

I've mentioned the one bathroom to the bro, who has already warned me that GF has the ability to grow roots in the bathroom. We've discussed the fact that the campground has comfort stations.

OTOH, while the cabin has fewer bathrooms, it looks like a lot more room. (I just don't know how much time we'll be spending in the room, awake.)

Price really isn't that big a deal for me. (I offered to pay for both rooms at Polynesian.) But bro has decided it's important. GF's total financial contribution to the kitty is around $300. To me, that's between bro and GF, but bro doesn't want me paying for GF, and he doesn't want to spend a boatload, himself, either.

I'd consider a cookout on the deck could be a lot of fun. Once. But one thought that's got me scared is imagining spending a week at Disney and having bro insist that we go stock the kitchen at Wal-Mart and spend every morning packing a brown bag lunch. To me, probably my primary activity going to Disney is the restaurants.

I'd wondered about a petting zoo. I could see the kid really liking it, but I hadn't seen it mentioned on the web site. (I have been wondering about taking him horseback riding, but I could see it going either way. He really likes the coin-operated horsey at Wal-Mart, and a real one might be the highlight of the trip, or he might think it's not as fun as the plastic one.)

You've confirmed my fears about the pool. (OTOH, Talen really isn't into fancy. If it's wet, then it's great, as far as he's concerned.)

As for breakfast in the room: Yeah, Talen's favorite food group at Disney is Mickey Mouse waffles. If we stay there, I'll likely go by Downtown ant get a Mickey waffle iron. (I'm not really worried about the price for breakfast, but it seems to me it might be quicker.)

Thanks for the firsthand information. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

We go to Disney about every-other year, and I spend quite a bit of time on a Disney message board when I'm not here.

Check out www.disboards.com for info on just about everything. There are folks on that site that go to Disney two or three times every year -- they know the answer to just about anything you could ask.

For info on how to tour the parks without waiting in lines (really) go to www.tourguidemike.com and pay the price for his advice. He used to be a VIP guide for Disney and now he does the same thing privatley. His web site gives you the info he uses when he's taking folks like William Shatner and his grandkids around the parks.

My personal advice is to stay with your Wilderness Lodge reservations. We honeymooned there in 2000 and stayed there again last summer -- we love it. If the real consideration is the money, you can step down from the Deluxe resorts to the moderates, without going all the way to the All-Star discount hotels. One of the moderate hotels that are behind Epcot might be a great idea: they have a boardwalk set up there, they have great pools and you can use the back entrance into Epcot.

I stayed at Fort Wilderness the last time we went down. In previous trips I have stayed at All-Stars, the Polynesian, and Port Orleans (3 times).

Personally, Fort Wilderness was my least favorite. I know several people who have stayed there and loved it, so I'm sure it's me....but....

I did not like the pools. Not much fun at all for the kids.

I'm not much for the wilderness anyway.

Most of all though, I found the transportation to be almost frustrating. You had to take a bus to get anywhere on the property. Even when we wanted to go get something to eat, we were so far away from the restaurants, we took the bus. Some people even took the bus to get to a pool - we happened to be close to a pool. But I just didn't like waiting 10 minutes for a bus, then getting dropped off at the dock and waiting 15 minutes for the boat. That trip it seemed like we were always on a bus/boat/monorail :) We did rent a golf cart our last night there...but at $36 per day, that was a steep price to get around the grounds...

The restaurants there are pretty good, and reasonably priced compared with other resorts in the park.

My favorite was Port Orleans, but we can't stay there anymore because we have 5 in our family now and they only allow 4 to a room.

Larry, there are some people who will sell their week or weeks they own at a timeshare facitlity on Ebay. Some of them are at the Palms resort which is beautiful. You might be able to pick up a weeklong stay from someone for like 600-700 bucks.

Just be careful, don't get involved in a package that requires a timeshare "tour". You'd need to purchase your week stay from an actual "owner".

People also rent condo's in the disney area and that might be a cheaper way to go as well, since condo's have kitchens and food therefore becomes less expensive.

edit: I forgot you can probably also rent a house for a week in the Kissimmee area which is maybe 20 minutes at best from Disney.

Agreed. A Timeshare is the way to go. We stayed at hotels, (Buena Vista, and the All Star Sports and All Star Movies),3 or 4 times. On our last couple of trips, we exchanged into timeshares, (Orange Lake Country Club and Sheraton Vistana), both of which I can highly recommend. If you're a golfer, take your clubs....there are plenty of great courses around....

Re: Timeshares.

I'll confess I've actually been considering the Disney timeshare thingey.

I'd seen their sales booths al over the place, all the advertising they do. That, combined with all the things I'd heard about timeshares in general (which make the entire industry sound a like a cross between used-car salesmen and the Jehova's Witnesses), really caused "Danger, Will Robinson!" warnings to go off any time I happened to pass within 30 feet of one of their booths.

But when I was making hotel reservations for this trip, I noticed this thing called "Villas at Fort Wilderness". As near as I can tell, it's an apartment building they've built next door to Wilderness Lodge. It's build for their vacation club (read: timeshare), and aparantly a small percentage of their rooms can be rented by non-members, like hotel rooms.

If they'd had a two-bedroom unit available, I'd have rented it. It sounds like it would have a lot of space, and some features (like a full kitchen and full-sized laundry in the room) that could be real convenient for people with a two- and five-year olds. And it's next door to Wilderness Lodge, so you have access to the fancy pool and restaurants.

I did some number crunching, and it looks like, if I wanted to have the ability to stay in a two-bedroom unit, one week per summer, I'd be looking at arouns $30K to buy in, and around $1.5K/year annual fees. When compared to around $5K for two hotel rooms at the Lodge (if you stay in August: In June the rates are considerably higher) it doesn't look like a bad deal.

But then I also have to factor in that my bro way well not feel like coming next year, let alone 10 years from now. And when he comes, he may not have a GF next year. And if I just put that $30K in an investment it will (well, based on my recent investments, it'll lose money, but that's another story).

And the Disney timeshare thingy does have a lot of rules that seem designed to make things complicated. (The biggest "gotcha" compared to other timeshares: Although you "own" your timeshare, just like others, you also have a contract that says it all goes back to Disney in 2045. Granted, I don't expect to be vacationing at Disney in 2045, but that time limit might well have a negative impact on it's resale value 20 years from now.)

But still, it looks like it might be an OK deal.

Re: Timeshares.

And the Disney timeshare thingy does have a lot of rules that seem designed to make things complicated. (The biggest "gotcha" compared to other timeshares: Although you "own" your timeshare, just like others, you also have a contract that says it all goes back to Disney in 2045. Granted, I don't expect to be vacationing at Disney in 2045, but that time limit might well have a negative impact on it's resale value 20 years from now.)

Bear in mind the following ... the re-sale market for most timeshares is essentially zero. If you are told otherwise by a resort, ask for evidence. Disney may be one of the few exceptions. So many people sign up and then can't afford payments that a buyer of re-sales knows they can pick one up for literally nothing.

Timeshares make sense (if the combination of annual fee and initial payment appears much cheaper than renting) assuming you plan to return to the same resort for the next twenty years. Exchange options are limited, especially if you are looking to use it during school vacations.

I was given a timeshare week as a gift and I think it's as much a liability as an asset.

I did some number crunching, and it looks like, if I wanted to have the ability to stay in a two-bedroom unit, one week per summer, I'd be looking at arouns $30K to buy in, and around $1.5K/year annual fees. When compared to around $5K for two hotel rooms at the Lodge (if you stay in August: In June the rates are considerably higher) it doesn't look like a bad deal.

I bought a Disney timeshare ealier this year. I don't know where you got you $ figures from, but I bought 200 points annually for $17k. Annual dues are only $600/year. The main reason I did buy a timeshare with Disney is I don't think I would have a hard time re-selling weeks if I don't want them.

I banked this years points, and next year I am booking 4 rooms at the boardwalk villas. The monetary value alone approaches $8k on the trip we are taking next year. You also are able to book vacations elsewhere. Even African Safaris. You are correct, there is a dead associated with the timeshare. our is 49 years. At which time I will be too old to Vacation.

edit, actually I checked into it, and yes, during the summer it costs a lot more points per week. but sept 1 the costs drop.

Re: Disney timeshares:

I've found a web site from somebody who's selling "used" timeshares. Most of the ones they're selling are from people who've used their "points" this year (and many have "borrowed" next year's points, too, and used them), and they're still selling for about 90% of the price of buying direct from Disney. Than would tend, to me, to suggest that they're not to hard to get rid of if you change your mind.

(Another one of the gotchas in the Disney deal is that Disney gets the right of first refusal on any resales. So if John Doe wants to sell me his timeshare at 20 cents on the dollar, Disney can step in and buy it from him, instead. OTOH, that looks to me like it would keep the resale prices high, which in turn isn't a drawback if you're an owner.)

(Yeah, the "I bought a timeshare and I can't give it away" is a horror story I've heard, but at least the Disney ones don't seem to suffer from that problem. Now, will they have that problem in 10 years?)

Larry, if you are considering "renting points" to use on the Wilderness Villas, go here to do it.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

We rented last year for a place at Boardwalk and it was smooth as silk.

You'll get enough space and an extra bathroom, PLUS great pools and resort features.

ONE DOWNSIDE- No maid service. They treat it like a regular time share. You wont have daily service.

IMO, this would be the best scenario for the people, time, and activities you have described interest you.

I bought a Disney timeshare ealier this year. I don't know where you got you $ figures from, but I bought 200 points annually for $17k. Annual dues are only $600/year. The main reason I did buy a timeshare with Disney is I don't think I would have a hard time re-selling weeks if I don't want them.

I wanted to compare apples vs apples, so my comparason was based on 5 people, 1 week, summer or Christmass.

One of the funny things I discovered: August is considered a peak time for the timeshare folks, but it's off-season if you're in the hotel. (The timeshare "prices" drop around Sept 1st, but the hotel rates went down July 5. I think that price drop on July 5 was a recent thing, though. I think when I started shopping for hotels, the prices were high all summer. I suspect that Disney is having a slow August, so they lowered the prices.)

I wanted to compare apples vs apples, so my comparason was based on 5 people, 1 week, summer or Christmass.

One of the funny things I discovered: August is considered a peak time for the timeshare folks, but it's off-season if you're in the hotel. (The timeshare "prices" drop around Sept 1st, but the hotel rates went down July 5. I think that price drop on July 5 was a recent thing, though. I think when I started shopping for hotels, the prices were high all summer. I suspect that Disney is having a slow August, so they lowered the prices.)

I don't think I would have purchased the timeshare if i planned on going during the summer. I'd much rather go after labor day when crowds are smaller, and the weather isn't as hot as July.

You can definatly get good last minute deals. And, like I said, it might be worth it to get the dining plan. $39 per day for an adult which includes a lunch,snack, and a dinner. $11 per child under 10.

The last time I went, we spent far more than $40/day on food.

Re: Disney timeshares:

I've found a web site from somebody who's selling "used" timeshares. Most of the ones they're selling are from people who've used their "points" this year (and many have "borrowed" next year's points, too, and used them), and they're still selling for about 90% of the price of buying direct from Disney. Than would tend, to me, to suggest that they're not to hard to get rid of if you change your mind.

(Another one of the gotchas in the Disney deal is that Disney gets the right of first refusal on any resales. So if John Doe wants to sell me his timeshare at 20 cents on the dollar, Disney can step in and buy it from him, instead. OTOH, that looks to me like it would keep the resale prices high, which in turn isn't a drawback if you're an owner.)

(Yeah, the "I bought a timeshare and I can't give it away" is a horror story I've heard, but at least the Disney ones don't seem to suffer from that problem. Now, will they have that problem in 10 years?)

Lots of people will advertise their timeshare for 90% of what they paid, but I would check for evidence that they are actually selling them for anything close to that. As I say, Disney may be the exception because of demand, but in general the timeshare resale market is extremely weak.

Before you make an investment of this size, you might want to check out the Timeshare Users Group http://www.tug2.net/, especially http://www.tug2.net/tugadvic.shtml

Larry, if you are considering "renting points" to use on the Wilderness Villas, go here to do it.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

We rented last year for a place at Boardwalk and it was smooth as silk.

You'll get enough space and an extra bathroom, PLUS great pools and resort features.

ONE DOWNSIDE- No maid service. They treat it like a regular time share. You wont have daily service.

IMO, this would be the best scenario for the people, time, and activities you have described interest you.

Thanks for the tip, I've tried it. (I'll let you know how it works out. Among other things, I may be too late.)

I don't think I would have purchased the timeshare if i planned on going during the summer. I'd much rather go after labor day when crowds are smaller, and the weather isn't as hot as July.

You can definatly get good last minute deals. And, like I said, it might be worth it to get the dining plan. $39 per day for an adult which includes a lunch,snack, and a dinner. $11 per child under 10.

The last time I went, we spent far more than $40/day on food.

My bro is the non-custodial parent. The only time he "owns" the kid is during school breaks (summer or Christmass.)

Re: Dining:

Best deal I've seen is something called the Disney Dining Experience. For 60 bucks (Florida Resident/Passholder) I get 20% off at most Disney restaurants, for me and up to 10 guests, for a year.

Best deal I've seen is something called the Disney Dining Experience. For 60 bucks (Florida Resident/Passholder) I get 20% off at most Disney restaurants, for me and up to 10 guests, for a year.

This dining experience was relatively new the last time I went, and I didn't even bother looking into it...I kinda figured there would be a "catch" and I'd be eating hot dogs for the week...or something like that :)

We have friends who just returned from Disney and they used the Dining Experience and absolutely loved it. Very good value and they said they ate more (and better food) than they normally would have if paying by the meal. Apparently the waitstaff also like this as their tip is included in the plan.

My bro is the non-custodial parent. The only time he "owns" the kid is during school breaks (summer or Christmass.)

CAREFUL!!!!!!!!

My brother in law bought this and found out half of the restaurants were blocked off the deal and others only were available at certain times (ie lunch on wed only).

Archived