Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Arena Steps Down

Hooper

I know DC United has done decently, but I can't help but think they have never been better than with Arena at the helm.

AS for the national team, 8 years is a lifetime with that position. I can't blaim him for not doing better as I don't think we will do better until we can pass the ball from one side of the pitch to the other and not have the run to the pass and trap requiring a break in stride or a change in direction. Watching the World Cup, that was a huge trademark of the better teams which was missing from the US side. Unfortunately, the national team coach shouldn't have to teach fundamentals. At that level the players need to just know how to do it. That said, some of it is time spent playing together to know how dast the guy you are going to is (like a QB and WR in US football).

This is not surprising as the US stunk it up this World Cup.

Serious question though. Would a new coach with these same players get better results? Seems to me the players are the ones who sucked not the coach. I don't know enough about soccer to know if the coach plays a major, major role. Someone clue me in!

Simple.

Arena locked in on players and outright refused to change his style. Case in point, Claudio Reyna. Brilliant player. Led the evolution of the US side from nobody to power. However, his style is completely different than the style needed to win with the OTHER current US players.

We have speed. And we have arrogance and attitude. However, Arena continued to put Reyna in charge on the pitch and made everyone else play slowed down conservative hope for a late goal to win game.

His outright refusal (innability?) to see how the team needs to play to win is his ultimate downfall.

Going forward, you can bet Eddie Johnson doesnt sit on the bench when we need to score goals in a game. You can bet that Donovan isnt playing out of position just because he needs to be on the field. Same goes for Beasley.

Klinsmann (or another) will come in and immediately see our stregth and adapt a strategy to win with it. Arena continued to smash a square peg into a round hole.

If we can't pass and trap on the run, I'm not sure how much a different coach putting in different strategies will help.

That said as the level of play gets better, the differences seem to be not so much in what player runs where or even how accurate the passes are. The difference seems to be the time it takes to make the accurate shots, passes and traps. At least that si the difference on offense. On defense it's how muc htime you give your opponents and what they can do with it. On defense, we actually look pretty good when it comes to putting preasure on the ball and leaving few options.

Kilmer I heard we had players in the euro league not even invited to the US team?? Is that true and if so why would Arenas pull something like that. How can you expect to win when your best players are not even on the team?

Just because they play in Europe doen't mean they are the best.

to be the best you have to play the best and last i checked that is in europe not the US i know how much we want to hype the MLS but in reality it can not compare to the euro leagues

to be the best you have to play the best and last i checked that is in europe not the US i know how much we want to hype the MLS but in reality it can not compare to the euro leagues

I know.

But Europe-based players are not necessarily the best players for the U.S. team at certain positions.

Dream job.

Seriously. It has to be Klinsmann.

what makes everyone so certain that Kinsman would be interested, or wants to?

Didn't he quit the German squad b/c of exhaustion?

(not a rhetorical question, honestly asking)

So Donovan refuses to play in Europe? Why? Is there more $$ in the MLS?

:confused

As the overhyped star of MLS he can make more money than as a failure in Europe. If he was able to play at the top level, he would make at least five to ten times more in one of the top European sides.

Don't worry. South Africa will be ready. They have four more years to prepare.

4 years is not enough for South Africa to stop being the most dangerous place in Africa. Thats the major reason why they might not be ready.

It also has one of the largest gaps between rich and poor.

Archived