Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell, The Super Bowl, and The Hall of Fame.

s0crates

Seemingly every analyst has told us that Mark Brunell is the weakest link, the biggest question mark, the achilles heel of an otherwise championship caliber team. The torrent of criticism has been so relentless that even the Redskins faithful openly defame Mark Brunell as though his inferiority were a matter of fact. Amidst this atmosphere of disbelief, dare I say that Brunell will lead the Washington Redskins to a Super Bowl Championship? Dare I suggest he may even retire a Hall of Fame candidate?

Is it so hard to believe? Looking at Mark Brunell's career in retrospect may surprise many people, especially given the criticism he has received from analysts and fans alike this offseason. If you don't know the history of the Redskins starting signal caller, you need to know. His career numbers are outstanding, some might even say Hall of Fame worthy (if he only had a Super Bowl ring or two to accompany them).

Brunell is rated as one of the NFL's top 10 passers all time. This is a truely remarkable accomplishment. Brunell has also accumulated 30,000 passing yards over the course of his career, which puts him in the company of folks like Sonny Jurgenson, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, and Jim Kelly. If he could squeeze two more seasons like last year out of the old legs, he would be ranked in the top ten in nearly every statistical category. He has been to two AFC Championships (with an expansion team) and three Pro-Bowl's. Truthfully, he deserved to go to a fourth Pro-Bowl after last season's brilliant 23 TD/10 INT performance.

There is no doubt about it, Mark Brunell has had an outstanding football career. This fact is often overlooked because he hasn't won a Super Bowl. In his college days, Brunell won a National Championship. He has yet to win the big one in the NFL though, and at 36, his time may be running out. Coming off a season in which he threw the most TD's ever in his career, he is ready to try.

Brunell has a golden opportunity to win a Championship this season. Much like the legendary John Elway, Brunell has a chance to play on a very talented team in the twilight of his career. If Brunell's story ends the same way as Elway's, perhaps Canton will call. I wouldn't be so bold as to predict such a finale, but given his history, such a scenario wouldn't surprise me either. I will say this though, if Mark Brunell is indeed our weakest link, we are in pretty good shape.

brunnelwin.jpg

Spectacular post. I find myself defending Mark Brunell almost everyday. There seems to be no gratitude or respect for what MB did for the Redskins last year. Joe Gibbs hand picked him and that is good enough for me. How do the haters explain Mark Brunell's career year last year DESPITE having one receiver? The truth is that they don't. They refuse to support this particular Redskin for whatever reason. ****s.

Another interesting Brunell fact for your consideration:

Brunell ALWAYS looks good versus Dallas. He has played against the Cowboys three times in a 'skins jersey, and these are his numbers in those games: 57-97, 779 yards, 8 TD's, 1 INT

Few people question Brunell's ability to get the job done when he's healthy. What most of us so called "bashers" don't trust is, in fact, Brunell's ability to remain healthy for the course of an entire season. The last three seasons in a row he has been unable to do so. Those aren't good odds.

If Mark can stay healthy, he is The Man. At this point in his career, though, the question is when, not if, the injury will occur, and how severe will it be.

Spectacular post. I find myself defending Mark Brunell almost everyday. There seems to be no gratitude or respect for what MB did for the Redskins last year. Joe Gibbs hand picked him and that is good enough for me.
Joe Gibbs knows what he is doing starting the old vet, he won three Super Bowls that way. I don't know why anybody would expect him to win his fourth any other way. Gibbs demands smart veteran play from his QBs, and that is just what Brunell will give him.

56539225PG.jpg

Joe Gibbs knows what he is doing starting the old vet, he won three Super Bowls that way. I don't know why anybody would expect him to win his fourth any other way. Gibbs demands smart veteran play from his QBs, and that is just what Brunell will give him.

Wasn't the signing of Mark Brunell the very FIRST thing that Gibbs did when he came back? That should be the end of discussion.

If Brunell can accomplish a couple more solid seasons he will have historically good stats. Without at least one championship he will be short of the HoF though. Like Vinny or Bledsoe who have nice overall numbers, Brunell, with lesser numbers, needs defining moments at the end to have any chance.

If Brunell can accomplish a couple more solid seasons he will have historically good stats. Without at least one championship he will be short of the HoF though. Like Vinny or Bledsoe who have nice overall numbers, Brunell, with lesser numbers, needs defining moments at the end to have any chance.

Agreed. He needs at least one SB trophy to be considered. Even then, comparable QBs like Phil Simms and Joe Theismann get very little HOF consideration, so even with a SB trophy, it's not very likely for Brunell.

Great post. Very good points and as I've said multiple times he is not our weakest link. But as my dad told me tonight, "you're only as strong as your weakest link", so if Brunell is in fact the weakest link, I'd say we're in great shape. Let's pray that God keeps him healthy, b/c he deserves a ring or two. Hail Mark B.

HTTR!

Also holding allegiance to the Jaguars (secondary allegiance, don't worry) I've been a big Mark Brunell fan for a while. However, unless he does pull an Elway-type finish, and exactly that, the HoF is a little too far off for him. He'd run into the same kind of resistance that Art Monk feels; he's too quiet, and he's not a flashy guy who's thrown a bunch of 4k yard/35TD and big sexy stats, even in a pass-happy NFL. In fact, the only year he threw for over four-thousand yards he also had more picks than TDs (20/19 respectively, but remember he was still a very young QB at that point). His career high in TDs is 23, and he's only posted a +90 rating once. "8-yard hook" is probably another kind of phrase they would use against him, except that he was throwing them. Also, you'll see the classic, "never a top 5 QB when he was playing" argument. He's been to, I think, three Pro-Bowls.

He's a heady, steady player who puts the ball on the money and doesn't give it to the guys in the other jerseys. He's consistent and smart, and he used to be a great show with both his legs and arm. His early success was great, the game vs. the Broncos was about as memorable as it gets. But, the cap killed that team, as well as Brunell's shot at a championship during what could have been his prime. What Mark needs is a championship, maybe two. Even so, the HoF guys like hares, so sadly there isn't enough room for tortises like Monk and Mark.

I don't think he's a HOF-er. He'd be more like a "Hall of Very Good" type.
I understand what you are saying, and actually I would agree with you if Brunell were to retire today. However, if you look at his potential production, Hall of Fame consideration does not seem so unreasonable.

He is already in the 30,000 yard club, a three time Pro-Bowler, and rated as one of the top ten passers all-time. He guided an expansion team to division titles and conference championship games. He resurrected his career under Joe Gibbs, guiding a team back to the playoffs after a six year absence. He is currently 23rd all-time with 2,576 completions, 27th all-time with 30,037 yards, and barely in the top 50 with 174 TDs. He has more yards than Cunningham and Theismann, more TDs than Namath or Aikman, and more completions than Jurgensen. This is all very good, as you say, but not quite HOF worthy. And you are right.

But remember Brunell has a few years left on his contract, is playing for a coach that likes him, and is playing behind a quality offensive line. You have to admit he has the potential to produce quite a bit more before retiring. Imagine Brunell wins a Super Bowl (or two) in the next two years, starting for a resurgent Redskins led by Joe Gibbs (not that improbable). Imagine he has two more years like last year (it could happen). In other words, assume Brunell can keep it up for a bit longer. Assume he can add another 500 Completions and 48 TDs to his totals, which would only take two more years like last year. He would certainly be worthy on consideration then, wouldn't he? I'm not saying he should go in on the first ballot, but he could easily retire in the top ten in completions, yards, and passer rating. Couple that with a ring, and I would advocate his induction. I know these are a lot of ifs, but they are not impossible ifs, not with Gibbs in charge.

Also, remember, either he or Jimmy Smith should be the first Jaguar to get in the HOF. They don't have anybody yet. :silly:

Brunell is rated as one of the NFL's top 10 passers all time. This is a truely remarkable accomplishment. Brunell has also accumulated 30,000 passing yards over the course of his career, which puts him in the company of folks like Sonny Jurgenson, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, and Jim Kelly. If he could squeeze two more seasons like last year out of the old legs, he would be ranked in the top ten in nearly every statistical category. He has been to two AFC Championships (with an expansion team) and three Pro-Bowl's. Truthfully, he deserved to go to a fourth Pro-Bowl after last season's brilliant 23 TD/10 INT performance.

There is no doubt about it, Mark Brunell has had an outstanding football career. This fact is often overlooked because he hasn't won a Super Bowl. In his college days, Brunell won a National Championship. He has yet to win the big one in the NFL though, and at 36, his time may be running out. Coming off a season in which he threw the most TD's ever in his career, he is ready to try.

Brunell has a golden opportunity to win a Championship this season. Much like the legendary John Elway, Brunell has a chance to play on a very talented team in the twilight of his career. If Brunell's story ends the same way as Elway's, perhaps Canton will call. I wouldn't be so bold as to predict such a finale, but given his history, such a scenario wouldn't surprise me either. I will say this though, if Mark Brunell is indeed our weakest link, we are in pretty good shape.

meh, i liked this post better the first time around. ;)

I believe in Mark Brunell

Can I get an AMEN! While I believe Jason Campbell will be stellar when he comes to take the helm from Brunell, I also think Brunell gives us our best shot at winning the big game this year. You can't compensate for smart, gutsy play.

:2cents:

Great post. I stated this in a different thread, but I'm going to reiterate here because I truly believe it: Mark Brunell will not struggle in this offense. The Redskins offense is now modernized and has too many weapons. The only thing that can stop Brunell is injuries. Period.

Seemingly every analyst has told us that Mark Brunell is the weakest link, the biggest question mark, the achilles heel of an otherwise championship caliber team. The torrent of criticism has been so relentless that even the Redskins faithful openly defame Mark Brunell as though his inferiority were a matter of fact. Amidst this atmosphere of disbelief, dare I say that Brunell will lead the Washington Redskins to a Super Bowl Championship? Dare I suggest he may even retire a Hall of Fame candidate?

Is it so hard to believe? Looking at Mark Brunell's career in retrospect may surprise many people, especially given the criticism he has received from analysts and fans alike this offseason. If you don't know the history of the Redskins starting signal caller, you need to know. His career numbers are outstanding, some might even say Hall of Fame worthy (if he only had a Super Bowl ring or two to accompany them).

brunnelwin.jpg

I got laughed at for suggesting this at work, thanks for the sharing of opinion

Brunell = Joe Theisman

just outside the door,

But, if he can pull an Elway and win back to back SB's to close out his career, he may squeak in

Bubba, you know I'm a big Theismann fan. But, in fairness to Brunell, I must say that Mark already has 500 more completions than Joey T, 5000 more yards, 14 more TDs, and 36 fewer INTs. Joey T did win a league MVP and a Super Bowl, but Brunell has definately been the more productive QB statistically. Like you say, Brunell will need to win a Championship to get the notereity, but I don't think he is as much of a fringe guy as Theismann.

Bubba, you know I'm a big Theismann fan. But, in fairness to Brunell, I must say that Mark already has 500 more completions than Joey T, 5000 more yards, 14 more TDs, and 36 fewer INTs. Joey T did win a league MVP and a Super Bowl, but Brunell has definately been the more productive QB statistically. Like you say, Brunell will need to win a Championship to get the notereity, but I don't think he is as much of a fringe guy as Theismann.

HOF isn't just about stats

The mere fact that Joey T. has a Ring, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and a MVP award... more than compensate for any stat totals Brunell has built up over him.

Plus Theisman never had a year like 2004 that Brunell had, and has pretty much altered most peoples perception of Brunell as a QB, and only a couple of Super Bowl wins will erase that out of voter's mind. and lets be frank... the current Hall voter's aren't exactly keen on voting for any former Redskin as it is.

Archived