Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Terrorists read Tom Clancy?

cadets08

I was reading Tom Clancy's Mirror Image from the Op-Center series the other night, and I couldn't help but notice one thing in the book. Basically in a nut shell, Soviet "patriots" detonate a car bomb in a tunnel under the East River causing the city to flood. Interestingly enough this is very very similar to the plot that was recently foiled in NYC. Coincidence? Probably, but I just found it rather interesting.:2cents:

Tom Clancy just know exactly what he's talking about. his books are like a look into the future.

oh, and if i'm not mistaken, Op-Center isn't actually written by Tom Clancy himself. the stories are actually written by someone else. he just creates the system. none of the serieses are actually written by him. he has the Jack Ryan books (with no specific series name,) some other books spereated from Jack such as Red Storm Rising (an excellent read) and some non-fiction books he works on with retired military officers.

He should be sent to Gitmo. He obviously knows too much about terrorist tactics.

which is why he gives demonstrations and stuff at the pentagon. he knows not just about terrorist tactics, he knows about EVERY military tactic of EVERY army in the world. its a good thing he's on our side! :cool:

I always used to wonder that, and I remember when he was called in front of a senate subcommittee after Hunt for Red October and Red Strom Rising to testify as to some of his "sources." he showed they were available to the skilled civilian researcher. Like others, I was particularly struck about the airliner usage foreshadowing events. With cyber-wars becoming more active, maybe more will be revealed first in a Clancy book.

I have read a fair number of Tom Clancy's books. I haven't gotten into the Op Center series, but I have read all but the most recent of the "Jack Ryan" books. Clancy does a HUGE amount of research through legally available declassified sources and through governmental/military contacts that he's built over the years. His books have a lot more reality to them than a lot of the other espionage/military fiction out there these days. That's part of the reason they're so enjoyable, in my mind.

I believe that in "Red Storm Rising" they discuss Russian agents driving over the Sikorsky Bridge in CT to count the number of helicopters outside Sikorsky's Stratford #1 plant, which can be clearly seen from the bridge. I went over that bridge quite often as a child, and can remember always looking to see how many helicopters were out there, just because of my interest in military science. My mother and I laughed about it when we read the book. At least until the Hartford Courant had a story that REAL Soviet spies actually used that technique in their intelligence gathering efforts. In fact that's apparantly part of how the Soviets knew about our attempt to rescue the hostages in Iran before the mission ever occured.

I always used to wonder that, and I remember when he was called in front of a senate subcommittee after Hunt for Red October and Red Strom Rising to testify as to some of his "sources." he showed they were available to the skilled civilian researcher. Like others, I was particularly struck about the airliner usage foreshadowing events. With cyber-wars becoming more active, maybe more will be revealed first in a Clancy book.

try reading the Net Force series.

I remember reading the Clancy book about the conflict with Japan where, at the end, a guy flies a 747 into the Captitol Building. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

That would be Debt of Honor. The next book dealt with Islamic fundamentalists releasing ebola at crowded trade shows, so if that comes to pass, someone is going to have to ask Mr. Clancy to put the ****ing pen down, or else. :laugh:

...Soviet "patriots" detonate a car bomb in a tunnel under the East River causing the city to flood. Interestingly enough this is very very similar to the plot that was recently foiled in NYC. Coincidence? Probably, but I just found it rather interesting.:2cents:

Didn't they say it wouldn't work, because NYC was too far above sea level?

One little touch I liked about the film of "Red October", is that every major character in the movie, both the Russian and the American ones, had a current copy of Janes on the desk. (I suppose if the story had been about an airplane, they'd all have had Aviation Week.)

And as to the airliner-as-a-weapon idea, my question is "How come Homeland Security doesn't read Clancey?"

:)

I know some guys from the base in southern MD down near my college got in trouble over what they said in the local bars about the soviet subs before the hunt for Red October. According to one of my friends, Clancy became one of those guys they were not supposed to talk to for a while. Ahhh beer...wait wrong thread.

September 11 was not a surprise if you were following Islamic terror throughout the 1990s.

Ramzi Yusef had a plan to take over and crash 11 jets over the Pacific. He had the plans on his computer which was discovered in his rented room in Manila after the building caught on fire in 1993..

Clancy does a HUGE amount of research through legally available declassified sources and through governmental/military contacts that he's built over the years.

He's very friendly with a lot of Flag Officers too in all the services. He has them over to his house, gets them drunk and gets them talking. A friend of mine's dad, a retired 3 star admiral, claims that there is a quote from him, almost verbatim, in one of the Jack Ryan books.

Speaking of Clancy, they keep pushing back release date for his next book. And no details are available yet.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i'm still back on The Cardinal Of The Kremlin, so i can wait forever. so far, the only books of his (not including the non-fiction) that i don't have in hardback are The Hunt For Red October, Red Storm Rising, and SSN.

Archived