Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 Zidane or not 2 Zidane, zat iz ze queztion

Om

What isn't funny is that FIFA has opened a probe...................

ZURICH, Switzerland(AP) FIFA said Thursday it opened disciplinary proceedings against Marco Materazzi for his conduct in Italy's victory in the World Cup final.

World soccer's governing body said it opened the investigation because of statements by France's Zinedine Zidane, who was sent off Sunday for head-butting Materazzi in the chest.

Zidane claimed he was provoked by insults from Materazzi, an Italian defender.

FIFA said it also summoned both players to attend a hearing of its disciplinary committee July 20. A decision is expected later that day.

FIFA declined to comment on possible punishments.

Zidane said in an interview with TF1 television Wednesday that his actions were in response to repeated harsh insults from Materazzi about his mother and sister, but did not go into specifics.

"The proceedings were initiated in the light of initial statements from French player Zinedine Zidane who ... has since indicated in an interview that his actions came in response to repeated provocation," FIFA said in a release.

Zidane has the right to make a written statement, which must be submitted by Tuesday. Materazzi then will be given a copy of the statement so he can respond.

Can't link the rest of the story due to my IP. It's an AP story.

Zidane got sucked in. Materazzi knew he had a temper which is well documented throughout his career. He pushed the right button, and Zidane lost what little cool he has. If FIFA thinks this is an isolated incident (smack talking) they need to put some mikes on the field.

I had a guy who did a ton of smack talking in a game back in highschool. I didn't lose my cool, but instead caught him after the game with one of the best looking drop kicks you ever did see :laugh: Zidane should have done the same if he was so insulted. Take it up after the game, not on the field.

Zidane got sucked in. Materazzi knew he had a temper which is well documented throughout his career. He pushed the right button, and Zidane lost what little cool he has. If FIFA thinks this is an isolated incident (smack talking) they need to put some mikes on the field.

I had a guy who did a ton of smack talking in a game back in highschool. I didn't lose my cool, but instead caught him after the game with one of the best looking drop kicks you ever did see :laugh: Zidane should have done the same if he was so insulted. Take it up after the game, not on the field.

I agree to an extent....but Materazzi is as dirty as they come. I've seen him on his club team and on Italy and he gets called for blatant fouls quite often. Zidane should have waited after the game, I agree..but in the heat of the moment when someone says something that wishes harm upon your family there's no telling how one may react

Archived