Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! sports: Betts gets some love

ArmchairRedskin

The Fun-house

By Brandon Funston

July 12, 2006

Here are six backup running backs falling outside the "starters" rounds of fantasy drafts that have high-impact potential.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=bf-funhouse_071206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/nfl

2. Ladell Betts, Was: Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders – you know, the guy who has been the mastermind of the Kansas City rushing attack the past few years – loves what he's already seen in Betts and is looking at ways to get Betts on the field together with Clinton Portis. Saunders has better offensive weapons to work with in Washington than he did in Kansas City, and the offensive lines are comparably elite. If Betts landed in a starting role, he has the all-around, above-average skill package to stay on the field as an every-down back. Washington was fourth in rushing attempts in '05, and Saunders won't veer from the run-heavy philosophy – his Chiefs offense had just five fewer rushing attempts than the Redskins last season. In a starting role, Betts wouldn't have quite the big-play upside of Perry, but he would be a very steady production churner.

I have a feeling we are going to lose betts next year

Yes we will. He should have a decent year season with Saunders aboard. We will be ahead early in games. This will allow CP to rest and Betts to get playing time along with lining up with CP on plays.

i also have a feeling we will see a LOT of ladell betts on the field this year, and not because CP will be hurt, but because we will be ahead by a lot in games and because al saunders seems to love the guy. with saunders being the guru that he is, i could see a lot of sets that include CP and Ladell

I don't see Betts having KC-backup stats. He's a great back for this team, but I hope people don't expect him to Larry Johnson it up.

I could see Betts having Johnson stats from 2004. 581 rushing yards and 278 receiving. I think its more likely that Portis has 1400 and Betts 600.

The Fun-house

By Brandon Funston

July 12, 2006

Here are six backup running backs falling outside the "starters" rounds of fantasy drafts that have high-impact potential.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=bf-funhouse_071206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/nfl

2. Ladell Betts, Was: Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders – you know, the guy who has been the mastermind of the Kansas City rushing attack the past few years – loves what he's already seen in Betts and is looking at ways to get Betts on the field together with Clinton Portis. Saunders has better offensive weapons to work with in Washington than he did in Kansas City, and the offensive lines are comparably elite. If Betts landed in a starting role, he has the all-around, above-average skill package to stay on the field as an every-down back. Washington was fourth in rushing attempts in '05, and Saunders won't veer from the run-heavy philosophy – his Chiefs offense had just five fewer rushing attempts than the Redskins last season. In a starting role, Betts wouldn't have quite the big-play upside of Perry, but he would be a very steady production churner.

Portis has already stated that he is not in pursuit of "individual records" and that his motivation comes from a "team concept". I think that a 1 (0ne) 2 (two) punch of Portis and Betts alternating quarters of play would be very effective for the offensive "rushing" scheme, I firmly believe that there is not a "clear" separation between the two RB's. !!! :)

If god forbid clinton runs into any injuries, betts will do fine. Our O line is very good and there will be only moderate drop off compared to portis. The defenses wouldn't stack the line so he would see some favorable defensive match ups.

i also have a feeling we will see a LOT of ladell betts on the field this year, and not because CP will be hurt, but because we will be ahead by a lot in games and because al saunders seems to love the guy. with saunders being the guru that he is, i could see a lot of sets that include CP and Ladell
Um, unless you're playing in a 20 team league with a 30 man roster, I can't imagine Betts is worth having on any fantasy team.

Hell, I'd rather have Sellers than Betts...

I like having "both" of them !!:)

Betts and Portis as rushing threats are bad enough for opposing defenses, but their pass-catching ability (and the threat of one or both coming out of the backfield on any given play when they're in there together) will drive defensive coordinators NUTS.

i too find the comparison between our and KC's O-line the most satisfying thing in that article. i think KC has the best O-line in the league.

Agreed, the productive KC offense is a result of their Olines work in the trenches! Quite a compliment comparing the two. I say if our starting 5 stay healthy, they are better than last years KC OL.

I know Betts can step up and play big when needed.

I'll be honest and admit though that I couldn't help but wonder if the coaching staff is

trumping Betts a little to garner some interest.

There are still a few teams out with some question marks in their backfield.

As training camps start, more openings are sure to become available.

It's always better to deal when you have something in high demand.

Archived