Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sonny Jurgenson's Commentating

EnFoRcEr_uPu

Now, before I go into anything, please do not take what I am saying in the wrong way. I have every bit of respect for him as a player and as a person that the rest of you do. The thing is, I think it's time for him to step back from commentating any of the Redskins games. A lot of times I find myself getting tired of listening to him almost as much as I can't stand listening to Madden in his video games. Am I the only person that feels this way? :(

He may not be quite as good as he was ten years ago, but he's still one of the best and you can feel his heart bleed for the team. Besides, the last thing you want in a radio commentator is someone who will shut up. Long gaps of silence make for very bad radio.

I think it's time for him to step back from commentating any of the Redskins games. A lot of times I find myself getting tired of listening to him almost as much as I can't stand listening to Madden in his video games. Am I the only person that feels this way? :(

As far as I know. I started listening to him with the T.V. sound down before you were born because I wanted to hear a homer. No doubt, he is the homer of homers. Back then, Sam and Sonny would get funnier as the game wore on, thanks to Sam's first wife, Mary's, homemade tomato soup. The accepted rumor was that there was something special in that soup.

Now that I go to the games, I still listen to the game on the radio, soley for Sonny's input. If Sonny wasn't commentating, I wouldn't be listening. Do you like knowing the play being called before the snap because Sonny tells you? I do. He attends practices regularly, so he knows all the formations. He has had, at least at one point, close ties to Dan Snyder and is probably the most knowledgable person about the Redskins outside the organization. Add to that his experience of onfield success and I have to wonder why you would want anyone else commentating during Redskins games.

Also, you don't give any specific reasons why you find yourself tired of listening to him.

One thing that I dislike about Directv is that I can't listen to Sonny on the radio.

There is like a 5 second delay on the video and I hear the result of the play on radio before the ball is even snapped on tv.

I miss listening to the radio and watching the game. :(

I think what I always find funniest about the Redskins Radio broadcast is that during the first few game broadcasts, Sonny and Sam haven't learned all the new players and often resort to calling players by their numbers.

I'm still recovering from Frank getting booted off.

That's blasphemy - Sonny knows more about the Skins than anyone outside that organization. Not to mention, he calls them like he sees them. While he is Burgundy and Gold through and through, if they are blowing goats on the field, he is going to say they are blowing goats. Especially if the play-calling sucks.

I think some people are missing the point that this is an opinion. I'm not saying that Sonny doesn't know a lot about what is going on both in and out of the game...I'm just saying that his style doesn't really suit me.

I respect your opinion and it's hard to disagree with you when not knowing exactly what style your looking for.

I think it's great to have somebody who knows this organization and the game, commentating. As much as a homer that he is, he'll tell it to you straight. He doesn't sugar coat anything.

So, what style are you looking for? Can you explain?

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

As far as I know. I started listening to him with the T.V. sound down before you were born because I wanted to hear a homer. No doubt, he is the homer of homers. Back then, Sam and Sonny would get funnier as the game wore on, thanks to Sam's first wife, Mary's, homemade tomato soup. The accepted rumor was that there was something special in that soup.

Now that I go to the games, I still listen to the game on the radio, soley for Sonny's input. If Sonny wasn't commentating, I wouldn't be listening. Do you like knowing the play being called before the snap because Sonny tells you? I do. He attends practices regularly, so he knows all the formations. He has had, at least at one point, close ties to Dan Snyder and is probably the most knowledgable person about the Redskins outside the organization. Add to that his experience of onfield success and I have to wonder why you would want anyone else commentating during Redskins games.

Also, you don't give any specific reasons why you find yourself tired of listening to him.

:applause:

I love Sonny and Sam but I think we are getting close to the end with them. My parents (both recently deceased) are about the same age, in fact my Mom went to Duke with Sonny, and as they aged their attention spans seemed to suffer. Pat Summerall went through the same thing near the end of his broadcasting career. I hear it more from Sam than Sonny at this point.

As for their styles I love the fact that they are homers. If I wanted a neutral party I would listen to the TV broadcast. That doesn't mean that they won't criticize the team when they are doing poorly though which is fine with me.

I think some people are missing the point that this is an opinion. I'm not saying that Sonny doesn't know a lot about what is going on both in and out of the game...I'm just saying that his style doesn't really suit me.

OK, then, I agree with you 100%. His style doesn't suit you. ;)

Personally, I really like Sonny. Without Sonny, I'd rather have silence.

I think it's the homer style(as dumb as that sounds). I'm as hardcore a Redskins fan as the next guy, I guess I just prefer a more objective point-of-view while watching football games. It's always nice to hear someone on the skins' side, just not so much I guess. Keeps games a little more interesting for me.

Now, before I go into anything, please do not take what I am saying in the wrong way. I have every bit of respect for him as a player and as a person that the rest of you do. The thing is, I think it's time for him to step back from commentating any of the Redskins games. A lot of times I find myself getting tired of listening to him almost as much as I can't stand listening to Madden in his video games. Am I the only person that feels this way? :(

You might not be, but I certainly disagree with you. Even if he says something stupid or obvious, I still want to hear his input. It's probably because I know it's coming from a real Redskins fan. He brings a lot to the broadcast IMO.

I love him on Redskins report, because he almost always picks the skins to win.

Archived