Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RF365 - Jansen is Redskins' Indispensable Man

JimmiJo

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/07/jon-jansen-redskins120706.html

Jansen is Redskins' Indispensable Man

By David Murray on July 12, 2006 12:21 AM

Jon Jansen is the Washington Redskins ' "Rock", a throwback to the Hogs of old and the team's most underrated, yet most indispensable player.

The 6-6, 308-pound right tackle has seen his share of ups and downs since being drafted by the Redskins in the second round out of Michigan in 1999. In his first five seasons, Jansen played under three different head coaches--Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Spurrier. Each time the Redskins began to gel and grow comfortable within a system, there would be another coaching change.

Of course, when the end of the Spurrier regime arrived, it was time for a change. During the Spurrier years, Jansen and his running mate at left tackle, Chris Samuels, came under severe fire. Redskin quarterbacks were being sacked with alarming regularity, and the gutsy Patrick Ramsey stood in the pocket play after play and absorbed a tremendous amount of punishment.

Just when it seemed that things couldn't get any worse, the unimaginable happened: The Redskins hired Joe Gibbs to rebuild the once proud franchise, and all was well in the nation's capital.

Click on link for full article...

Great post/thread! And thanks mainly because the OL needs some love,too. Yeah, I have a Jansen jersey, and actually his nick name is "Rock"...don't know how many folks know that.

They (his H.S. up in Michigan) retired his H.S. number...no I don't remember what that number was, but he did play TE. The OL is the decisive point and can pave they way for a date in Miami, FL.

This is probably one of those areas that will be of focus during training camp. That and hopefully field goals. A quarter of the games were won by field goals last year and the NFC East will be tight and the NFC as a whole. Except Dallas, yeah even with Vanderjet down there. OL needs to hit it off like a buzz saw as Coach Buges would say...and get there timing down. I mean right from the get. And be on the upside of penalties. Our offense is a timing offence if the receiver is not where he suppose to be it's an incompletion or if the ball doesn't come out when it should then its an incompletion/INT.

But interior OL play and field goals, hey, we have to make all our field goals. A healthy Hall should prove of value, I take that back, should prove of great value. And we also need to be able to kick the ball on kick offs into the endzone. Hey kickoffs and punts are like extra plays and teams starting at their on 30 and 40 yd lines is not winning the field position battle. Anything across our 35 yd line is danger especially against those kickers like what Dallas has down there. So "T"s in general will be crucial. Vandees not going to miss a whole lot from the 40 on in. I like too see Hall be consistent from the 40 (usually the hold is 7 yds from LOS and then count 10 yds for the endzone) on in. About But yeah field goals and OL play could very well end up being turning points.

The second comment after the article is from "Ray", who says he played with Jansen for three years. Probably not Ray Brown though, since he was only here two years. You'd think an impostor would at least research something like that. Though why someone would pretend to be Ray Brown is beyond me.

The second comment after the article is from "Ray", who says he played with Jansen for three years. Probably not Ray Brown though, since he was only here two years. You'd think an impostor would at least research something like that. Though why someone would pretend to be Ray Brown is beyond me.

I read this comment by Ray as well and needless to say I was definately laughing.

Jon is definately one of the most underrated players on our team, by the media and fans alike. To the average fan, there are probably only two names on our OL that they know (Samuels and Thomas). The article got it correct when they didn't forsee Jon recieving the accolades he deserves because of the small amount of exposure he recieves. I remember listening to Jon on CSN, and I he is a very bright and well articulated person. He is a great leader for this team, and makes a great captain. IMO Jon isn't worried about the Pro Bowl, he just wants to win the game before it... HTTR!!

Could be some other Ray... though I can't think of any on the Skins. Maybe college? :whoknows:

I gotta disagree that Jansen doesn't get the hype he deserves.

When Jansen first got here, he played like a vet from day one. He was very good and was getting alot of praise from commentators and press. I'm not sure were all this "under appreciated even by Skins fans" stuff comes from. He was known for being Michael Strahan's achilles heel because it seemed that Jansen was the one guy who could shut down Strahan regularly.

Despite the deserved praise, Jansen did not get voted to any pro bowls. He may have gotten screwed in 2000 or 01 be that as it may, since 2002 Jansen has not been a very good tackle.

He was mediocre in 02. Horrible (I'm talking Shar Pourdanish level) in 2003. Was hurt in 2004 and was again mediocre (but got better as the season went on) in 2005.

Jansen needs to get his game back to the level of his first 3 seasons before he can expect to be considered for a pro bowl.

I read this comment by Ray as well and needless to say I was definately laughing.

Jon is definately one of the most underrated players on our team, by the media and fans alike. To the average fan, there are probably only two names on our OL that they know (Samuels and Thomas). The article got it correct when they didn't forsee Jon recieving the accolades he deserves because of the small amount of exposure he recieves. I remember listening to Jon on CSN, and I he is a very bright and well articulated person. He is a great leader for this team, and makes a great captain. IMO Jon isn't worried about the Pro Bowl, he just wants to win the game before it... HTTR!!

71 Ethan Albright LS 12 UNC

? Jon Alston OL 0 ?

66 Derrick Dockery G 4 Texas

72 Jon Jansen OT 7 Michigan

68 Nukey Inchue G 0 North Western

64 Jim Molinaro OL 3 Notre Dame

62 Mike Pucilloe G 4 Auburn (05 was with Cleveland)

61 Casey Rabach C 5 Wisconsin

60 Cris Samuels OT 7 Alabama

67 Randy Thomas OT 7 Mississippi State

*72 Walter, Tyson OT 4 Ohio State (05 was with Seattle)

Killi Lofutu (Arizonia) 06 drft selection

Jim Jones not sure free agent acquisition

Years experience depicts up-coming year. I probably missed some one but I think this is pretty much it for the most part....no did not cross reference from roster posted on Redskins.com. But this is crucial to me so I took the time.

71 Ethan Albright LS 12 UNC

? Jon Alston OL 0 ?

66 Derrick Dockery G 4 Texas

72 Jon Jansen OT 7 Michigan

68 Nukey Inchue G 0 North Western

64 Jim Molinaro OL 3 Notre Dame

62 Mike Pucilloe G 4 Auburn (05 was with Cleveland)

61 Casey Rabach C 5 Wisconsin

60 Cris Samuels OT 7 Alabama

67 Randy Thomas OT 7 Mississippi State

*72 Walter, Tyson OT 4 Ohio State (05 was with Seattle)

Killi Lofutu (Arizonia) 06 drft selection

Jim Jones not sure free agent acquisition

Years experience depicts up-coming year. I probably missed some one but I think this is pretty much it for the most part....no did not cross reference from roster posted on Redskins.com. But this is crucial to me so I took the time.

Molinaro is #69...sorry, but I think Alston is # 78 matter of fact I'm sure.

Archived