Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East Training Camp Preview-SI

SkinsNoles21

Don Banks wrote this article from SI and he is definitely showing us a lot of love in this article.

I think the part about possible problems in the Giants locker room is a real issue and may be overlooked by many. However, in a tough division like the NFC East they're going to be some ups and downs, will the GMEN be able to handle the adversity?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-nfceasttraining&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Team on the rise

WASHINGTON

We know all eyes seem to be on Texas, with the Cowboys signing you-know-who and finally landing a kicker, Mike Vanderjagt, who can decide a few close games all by himself. But let's not forget it was the Redskins that nobody wanted to play in the season's final month after they won their last five regular-season games and a wild-card game at Tampa Bay. Washington's defense was making plays all over the field down the stretch and we think it's going to be even better without the LaVar Arrington situation to worry about this year. New offensive coordinator Al Saunders knows how to best use his weapons, and his play-calling touch could do for the offense what coordinator Gregg Williams has done for the defense. The Redskins won't sneak up on anyone this time around, but another 10-win season should be their rock-bottom minimum.

Impact player in the making

ANDRE CARTER, WASHINGTON

I know we haven't heard much from Carter since his breakthrough, 12.5-sack season of 2002 in San Francisco, but he's a great athlete who should be able to create havoc coming off the edge in Williams' defense. Carter can play the 4-3 end position and handle a 3-4 outside linebacker slot when Williams decides to change up the Redskins' look. If Carter plays like we think he will, the Redskins faithful will forget about Arrington by mid-October.

Potential land mine

The Giants locker room. New York running back Tiki Barber is the consummate professional and way too sharp to repeat his blunt assessment of Tom Coughlin's coaching job after New York's 23-0 playoff loss at home to Carolina. But Coughlin-style discipline tends to best be accepted when it is accompanied by winning. The Giants have more than their share of opinionated veterans -- like Plaxico Burress, Jeremy Shockey and Michael Strahan -- who have chafed a bit in the brief Coughlin era. Let's see what happens to team harmony if New York struggles early, a not unlikely scenario given the Giants' tough September schedule (vs. Colts, at Philadelphia, at Seattle).

Wow. Color me shocked. :( What I can't seem to understand is why in the world so many people contend that T.O. is the second coming in Dallas. I am glad to see that this dude is the only person at SI that understands football and the importance of team chemistry.

Washington's defense was making plays all over the field down the stretch and we think it's going to be even better without the LaVar Arrington situation to worry about this year.

I had flashbacks to the movie Men In Black where the alien crash landed and abducted the farmer's body. Peter King will want heads to roll for this one.

Obviously Dan Snyder has removed the real Don Banks and had him replaced with a double

:laugh:

I was thinking something along the same lines. Seriously.

Unreal.

I think he realizes that all the goons picking Dallas, don't mention their OL, and Bledsoe's 50/50 lifetime style.

Banks is hedging his bets, so he can look right in 8 months.

Meeh - predictions now are about as accurate as weathermen in January. Injuries are totally unpredictable and totally inevitable.

I like the analysis, but I am not going to start j-ing off over Donnie Banks and his wish-wash commentary.

I never looked at the Giants locker room like that, but he forgot to mention that you are throwing a vocal LA into the mix now to. Suppose he has a few bad games and they use him more sparingly. That situation could turn out to be very deadly. Also, with Eli coming into this season with a little higher expectation, you can be sure there will be tension if he isn't successful..

Too little too late from Mr. Banks. He can drop dead for all I care. Lest we forget, he insinuated that he and other sportswriters would be factor in their negative feelings for Dan Snyder when casting their votes (or not) for Art Monk for the HOF. Ever since I saw that, I stopped reading SI and I stopped loggin on to their site. Between him, King, and Zzzzzz - that's the triple threat of bias hatred that I will not soon forget.

It's pretty interesting how lately, more and more analysts are starting to get over the hype of TO in Dallas, along with the typical "Snyder and the Skins overspent as usual" comments, and actually doing some real research. Then they are realizing that the Skins are a playoff team that has improved virtually every weakness and is stacked at almost every position.....without the TO, Deion, etc. type glamour players that Dan used to go after.

Basically, Gibbs is the man and they know it. He knows how to put a winning team together, regardless of the era....or the sport for that matter. :D

An SI columnist crediting us? The apocalypse may be upon us:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/07/10/tc.preview.nfc.east/index.html

We know all eyes seem to be on Texas, with the Cowboys signing you-know-who and finally landing a kicker, Mike Vanderjagt, who can decide a few close games all by himself. But let's not forget it was the Redskins that nobody wanted to play in last season's final month after they won their last five regular-season games and a wild-card game at Tampa Bay. Washington's defense was making plays all over the field down the stretch, and we think it's going to be even better without the LaVar Arrington situation to worry about. New offensive coordinator Al Saunders knows how to best use his weapons, and his play-calling touch could do for the offense what coordinator Gregg Williams has done for the defense. The Redskins won't sneak up on anyone this time around, but another 10-win season should be their rock-bottom minimum.

Impact player in the making

ANDRE CARTER, WASHINGTON

We haven't heard much from Carter since his breakthrough 12.5-sack season of 2002 in San Francisco, but he's a great athlete who should create havoc coming off the edge in Williams' defense. Carter can play the 4-3 end position and handle a 3-4 outside linebacker slot when Williams decides to change up the Redskins' look. If Carter plays like we think he will, the Redskins faithful will forget about Arrington by mid-October.

I still can't understand how the acquisition of Owens in some minds makes Dallas better than the Redskins. Their other moves seem to be more than offset by the ones made by Washington while Gibbs has added Saunders and Parcells has lost coaches.

Archived