Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Feminization of America?

Destino

This thread hurts my feelings. :cry: Stop it! :adoration:

In some respects, I think what is termed "feminization" has more to do with the computerization of the nation. Tasks are less physical, the outlets we allow ourselves are often less physical. Women take part in "male" activities which further blur (much to the good) traditional gender lines. If you want to really get into a period of Feminization though, look at the Victorian period, especially through their literature. We're very macho compared to how life was depicted back then.

Jumbo I think what you are seeing is the culmation of this so-called feminization, and your term of "growth spurt" is on the money. Ideals and attidudes like these are cyclical, one generation spawning the attitudeds of the next. Eventually it will come full circle and begin again.

From the mouth of our enemy Abu Bakr al Libbi. (see thread above on Al Qaida handbook):

"If the number of Americans killed is one tenth of the number of Russians killed in Afghanistan and Chechnya, they will flee, heedless of all else.

That is because the current structure of the American and Western military is not the same as the structure of their military in the era of colonialism.

They reached a stage of effeminacy which made them unable to sustain battles for a long period of time and they compensate for this with a deceptive media halo."

Diehard- you really need to read more carefully.

the thread title is "the Feminization of AMERICA"- not the military.

I am pointing out exactly what our enemies say, that AMERICA has become more feminized. For g-d sakes, Al Qaida even uses those exact words.

the point is that a SOCIETY that had no problems dropping nuclear bombs on Japanese cities filled with civilians, or fire bombing Dresden- now has problems with keeping terrorists in air conditioned rooms.

seems to me that is a pretty good example of "how America has become feminized"...

So, basically, you agree with Al Qaeda?

Terrorist.

Depending on how much money you make or your status/ fame level this de-masculization crap goes out the window. Many well-to-do Bachelors (and married men for that matter) certainly don't have any problems getting their share of women by being accused of acting "too masculine".

I just think it's deeper then a Feminine vs. Masculine issue. Two words are doing more to change society as we know it then any single bill, law, or movement.

It's called being "Politically Correct".

These two words are changing the landscape and face of America. Now, whenever someone does anything wrong or says anything "Politically Incorrect" these two words are thrown at at you like a cop with a badge. When someone says you aren't being PC it's almost like someone accusing you of being a pedaphile.

Every racial slur and hate word is being brushed under the rug (and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO). But what is happening is a sort of diluting of people's opinions. You even hear it in press conferences for sports where players and media members alike have to choose their words carefully or risk being called a racist, bigot, fascist etc. and sent to PC hell!

GC

I have a feeling I have asked this of you before, but, so, generalize much?

If you couldn't see the dripping sarcasm in that post, I don't know what else to tell you. . . But I can see why you missed it, especially since there have been (as ShF put it) 3 posters in this thread who professed that viewpoint, you being one of them.

I will refer back to my originial post in this thread where I pointed out the the difference between men and women is becoming less pronounced. Less emphasized. Which is silly. Men and Women are different from each other. There are obvious physical differences, along with emotive, intellectual and other differences as well.

There are some things as a man that I am better suited to do than my wife. And there are certainly some things as a woman that she is better suited for than I. That's the way things go. She doesn't try to prove her equality to me by lifting heavy boxes or mowing the lawn or whatever. And I don't try to prove my equality to her by spending my entire day with the kids every single day. I know she is gifted in some areas that I am not. So she does those things. I do some things that she isn't as good at doing. What's the bad in that?

Instead though, it seems as though society wants both sexes to be positively inter-changeable. I believe there are simply some jobs best suited for men and vice-versa, generally (there are always exceptions). And frankly, I don't see how that's such a bad thing.

BTW, Chom, that doesn't mean I want to beat my wife, call people n*****s, or the other wonderful things you lumped on me.

I guess I just disagree with the masculinity viewpoint of the world. The knuckle dragging skull drugery really accomplishes nothing, look at the Israle Palestrine conflict for example. The tit for tat, code of Hammaurabi BS accomplishes nothing but heartache, and we have eons of history which prove me correct. The feminine viewpoint, the one which was professed by Jesus, should start to take over sooner or later, at least I HOPE society will finally come to grips with their failures. . .

It is one of the two contrasts that have fought civilizations throughout the ages, and the male/female conflict has been going on since before Christ was born. You have two sides, one being the male, Mars, the side for war, might makes right and power rules all. . . and the other side, Venus, the side for love, peace and harmony. Difference and tolerance are norms and people are accepted for who they are. It is a microcosim of the political landscape as well, with the democrats representing the feminine viewpoint and the republicans representing the masculane.

Yes, it is complete jingostic stereotryping, and no, I do not believe it, but it appears as if everyone in this thread does, so why not play along ;) Just because I don't necessarily agree with a POV does not mean I can't come up with a good argument for it, or at least incorporate some good adolosent humor in all of it. :)

Ish, do you REALLY believe the "feminization" of America is a problem?

I don't want to use the term "feminzation"

I however do think men these days are quite frankly afraid to be men

Which is why you see so many "nice guys" out there, who are out only to please others, refuse to make decisions that may ruffle a few feathers, and can't stand up for themselves

I also think you see the opposite end of the spectrum proliferating in that you have lots of men who go to the complete opposite extreme and have no respect for women and a totally off moral compass

My point being, there is a problem, maybe calling it feminaztion is wrong, but having seen the way "men" act overseas, it should make us look at our own men in America and figure out why there seem to be so many on the extremes, either the wussy "nice guy" or the aggressive jerk, rather then assertive confident men who have respect for themselves, for others, are not afraid to stick up for themselves and their loved ones and can act in a confident respectable manner

I love how righties think men should be so stereotypically manly - then get SOOOO pissed when a democratic President gets a BJ on the side. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:applause: Nice one. Personally, I think it's not so much feminization as more young men are growing up (or not growing up) insecure, emotional underdeveloped and lacking in personal responsibility.

everything Chom said in his "response" to me

Chom, you didn't address much of anything I said. And if you can't detect sarcasm in my original post, well, I don't know what to say...

Are you telling me you believe that men and women are completely inter-changeable? That there is no difference between them? If so, I say poppy****. That's right, poppy****. Don't know what it means, and I'm not sure it will get by the censors, but it's fun to say.

I would argue men and women play incredibly important, separate roles in society and in family. For years the roles that women play(ed) were denigrated, to the detriment of society. That's unfortunate and wrong. The role my wife plays in my family is nurturer and care-giver, a role I don't want, b/c I KNOW I wouldn't be any good at it. She is. Therefore it's her role. I don't see the problem here.

Chom, you didn't address much of anything I said. And if you can't detect sarcasm in my original post, well, I don't know what to say...

Are you telling me you believe that men and women are completely inter-changeable? That there is no difference between them? If so, I say poppy****. That's right, poppy****. Don't know what it means, and I'm not sure it will get by the censors, but it's fun to say.

I would argue men and women play incredibly important, separate roles in society and in family. For years the roles that women play(ed) were denigrated, to the detriment of society. That's unfortunate and wrong. The role my wife plays in my family is nurturer and care-giver, a role I don't want, b/c I KNOW I wouldn't be any good at it. She is. Therefore it's her role. I don't see the problem here.

Fine, but why do you think men and women can't cut grass equally well? Afterall, all you're doing is pushing a stroller with blades.

.... do you REALLY believe the "feminization" of America is a problem?

Yes, I see what we're talking about as a SERIOUS issue. Again, I wouldn't call it feminization, since the role of women is changing as much (if not more) than the role of Men. It's this total collectivism issue that is a problem. This whole idea that everyone is the same. Nobody is any better or worse than anyone else. Nobody is any different than everyone else.

For a scale of reference, I see this like the lambs and lions laying down with each other as discussed in the final chapter of the Bible... a sign of the end of our society, or at least any sense of respecibility and decency in that society.

Yes, I see what we're talking about as a SERIOUS issue. Again, I wouldn't call it feminization, since the role of women is changing as much (if not more) than the role of Men. It's this total collectivism issue that is a problem. This whole idea that everyone is the same. Nobody is any better or worse than anyone else. Nobody is any different than everyone else.

For a scale of reference, I see this like the lambs and lions laying down with each other as discussed in the final chapter of the Bible... a sign of the end of our society, or at least any sense of respecibility and decency in that society.

Yeah but you see everything that doesn't fit EXACTLY into your neat, prepared, OCD view of how the world should be as a serious issue. Newsflash, not everyone thinks exactly like you or wants to live in your world AND THAT'S OK. Honestly, it doesn't mean end times.

Fine, but why do you think men and women can't cut grass equally well? Afterall, all you're doing is pushing a stroller with blades.

:laugh: :laugh:

Someone use that point next time your wife tells you the grass is getting too long. Let me know what hospital room you end up in.

Of course they CAN. However, it's more of a manual labor role that has been reserved for men. A woman is more than welcome and more than capable of cutting the grass and doing yardwork.

Although, I don't believe there is anything wrong with divying up the work in more traditional ways: I'll cut the grass and do the heavy lifting and my wife can decorate the house and things like that. It's essentially things that interest women aren't the same things that interest men. Some guys might want to decorate, and that's fine. Some girls might want to fertilize the grass and that's fine too. However, the vast majority stick to the gender roles that are more traditional and I don't find that sexist at all.

My thoughts. A lot of guys my age don't know how to do stereotypical guy things such as basic car mechanic work or simple carpentry skills. I always thought something wasn't quite right about this. I know I'm bias because in my family my father fixes our cars, does all the heating, electric, and air, put a new roof on the house, and has even added an addition to the house...but I think most men in their 30-40s know how to do some if not all of this (?) while a lot of guys my age have no clue. Does this make them less 'manly?' I suppose that's left for each person to decide.

Some gender roles will naturally phase out. I live with three guys and I have cut the grass and taken the trash out a many more times than they have. I don't think this makes them less manly, it just shows how lazy they are. :laugh:

Yeah but you see everything that doesn't fit EXACTLY into your neat, prepared, OCD view of how the world should be as a serious issue. Newsflash, not everyone thinks exactly like you or wants to live in your world AND THAT'S OK. Honestly, it doesn't mean end times.

I think Mass just needs a hug. :grouphug:

Of course... he can't see this. :cool:

This is one of the most important myths propping up the conservative movement in this country, the one underlying the Promise Keepers.

Quick - which side are you on - you have to choose now: John Wayne or Marcel Marceau. :laugh:

Archived