Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Feminization of America?

Destino

I had a discussion the other day with a friend of mine that was interesting. He's convinced that men are being taught to be weaker and less masculine. I could post his arguments but I don't want this discussion to center around whe he's right or wrong but instead what you folks think on the subject.

So what do you people think?

Agree 100 percent

It starts at an early age, and as you get older you are taught that your sexual masculine side is considered "bad" through media and feminine influences

This is what has proliferated the "nice guy" guys who feel they just have to please everyone and can't make selfish decisions for themselves that may not be liked by everyone

That's an interesting question, but to discuss intelligently, I am going to need an example or something to direct things. As a general rule (being VERY general), I would say I think it's not so much feminization, as equalization. We are being taught there is no difference between men and women, or little difference at any rate.

Hopefully that made sense, as it did so in my head...

I would say I think it's not so much feminization, as equalization. We are being taught there is no difference between men and women, or little difference at any rate.

Hopefully that made sense, as it did so in my head...

I agree 100%.

Why should men be better than women? Or viceversa?

I agree 100%.

Why should men be better than women? Or viceversa?

I don't think saying that men and women are different means that one is superior to the other. Teaching little boys and little girls to act the same way however would mean that you picked one set of behavior over anohter.

I agree fully and wholehearedly. It seems that "equality" has turned into "being a man is bad". I'm all about letting women getting equal pay, equal opportunities, etc. But, as I have said before, males are being taught that it is NOT OK to be a man anymore.

It is very sad to see. I believe I am proof enough that it is still ok to be a man and still be a "nice guy", b/c it is how I was raised. I intend to raise my son the same way. He can be respectful to women, but still know what is right, and that it is ok to watch football, drink beer, burp, fart, and to stand up for himself and his family, if need be.

Yes its happening. Look at school boards trying to limit or get rid of recess, and look at all the schools outlawing dodgeball.

I don't see this at all. In fact at my son's middle school the only organized after-school team game they played this year was dodgeball.

At it's not so much schools trying to take masculinity away. It's usually the parents. At recess young boys like to play games that end up pretty rough and injuries will occur. Schools face hostile parent complaints when anything happens to their kid.

As I've mentioned before in another thread, I coach a number of youth sports as a volunteer and way too much of our income is spent on liability insurance so that if a kid gets hurt, we are protected from a parent lawsuit. I kid you not, this year we had a problem with a kid falling over (without any contact from another runner) while running track and suffering a few scratches to her face. We faced both her angry parents who seemed to think someone had to be to blame if their child got hurt. :doh:

As I've mentioned before in another thread, I coach a number of youth sports as a volunteer and way too much of our income is spent on liability insurance so that if a kid gets hurt, we are protected from a parent lawsuit. I kid you not, this year we had a problem with a kid falling over (without any contact from anotehr runner) while running track and suffering a few scratches to her face. We faced both her angry parents who seemed to think someone had to be to blame if their child got hurt.

Did you tell them to STFU? I think these types of things would be less likely to happen if the idiots are put in their place from the start. The parents do sign something from the start letting their kids participate anyway, right?

Adding to my thought, I don't want to say its "feminization" of America, but it certainly is the de-masculation of America

I hate to point to Europe, but when you go over there, you see men act like men. Go up to women, be loud and boisterious, play sports, drink beer, and play the role of man and protector

That is happening less and less in America and I have really noticed it the past 3 years with some of the people I have met while working in construction, and seeing how unable some men are to make a decision

Its not about being a grunt that clubs women over the head, but its about being able to state your intentions, express yourself so that you do put your needs out there and are not trying to make everyone around you happy all the time.

100% --just look at all your sucessful sitcoms, in the 60's we had Ward, a real mans man, smoking jacket and all and "Father knows Best" . 60's gave us Andy Griffith and his infinite wisdom, the 70's we had Archie Bunker the begining of the assualt on the father in the home, still repected but all his weaknesses exposed, then there was the 80's Family Ties ex-hippie less masculine dad ,Whos the Boss? Tony or Angela?, Al Bundy the useless dad that is more your friend, then Roseanne, its all about what mom wants, the Simpsons....Dad is an idiot lets head to the 90s... In the 90's the sitcoms removed the family concept all together and moved on to just having "friends" Sienfeld,90210,..the real family based structure of sitcoms had all but left then we entered the 2000's with Will and Grace, Frasier, Ellen,Desprate housewives,.......the idea of Masculinity has not changed the acceptance of masculinity has.......its the new homosexuality of the 50's,......

As I've mentioned before in another thread, I coach a number of youth sports as a volunteer and way too much of our income is spent on liability insurance so that if a kid gets hurt, we are protected from a parent lawsuit. I kid you not, this year we had a problem with a kid falling over (without any contact from another runner) while running track and suffering a few scratches to her face. We faced both her angry parents who seemed to think someone had to be to blame if their child got hurt. :doh:

Wow, that's just depressing.

You should post his arguments.

and yes, there is no doubt that American society has become radically feminized.

I think when putting underwear on a terrorists head is now classified as "torture"- while our enemy literally saws off the heads of Americans-

we are losing our masculine fighting prowess. American men in the 1940's survived the Great Depression, Nazi Waffen SS troopers and Japanese Kamikaze pilots and banzai charges.

today, we have coaches and athletes cry in press conferences because they lost a game.

Adding to my thought, I don't want to say its "feminization" of America, but it certainly is the de-masculation of America

I hate to point to Europe, but when you go over there, you see men act like men. Go up to women, be loud and boisterious, play sports, drink beer, and play the role of man and protector

That is happening less and less in America and I have really noticed it the past 3 years with some of the people I have met while working in construction, and seeing how unable some men are to make a decision

Its not about being a grunt that clubs women over the head, but its about being able to state your intentions, express yourself so that you do put your needs out there and are not trying to make everyone around you happy all the time.

Go to Austrialia and you'll really be shocked.

Did you tell them to STFU? I think these types of things would be less likely to happen if the idiots are put in their place from the start. The parents do sign something from the start letting their kids participate anyway, right?

Yes they sign a waiver, and no they won't be participating in an activity I'm involved with ever again.

But what is shocking is the attitude. The first question out of their mouths is an aggressive "how did this happen", (because of course they have just dropped off their kid at practice and not seen what occured) not "thanks for making sure she is OK".

A big problem with kids activities is the intrusion of ignorant parents. Another funny example ... my twelve-year old son plays tackle football. Last season they scrimmaged against a team from another league and the opposing parents complained at one point because his team was hitting too hard. :doh: :laugh: :laugh: Now this was not a big kid beating up a little kid (at that age the larger kids are not as much of a physical threat cause they typically lack the physical skills to make a big hit), but the fast 85 lb linebackers who really like to tackle.

Seriously ... the other league had felt it necessary to introduce a "no really hard hitting" rule because of parent complaints. Some of the parents we're so embarrassed when they told us about it. :laugh: :laugh:

and yes, there is no doubt that American society has become radically feminized.

I think when putting underwear on a terrorists head is now classified as "torture"- while our enemy literally saws off the heads of Americans-

we are losing our masculine fighting prowess. American men in the 1940's survived the Great Depression, Nazi Waffen SS troopers and Japanese Kamikaze pilots and banzai charges.

today, we have coaches and athletes cry in press conferences because they lost a game.

And Marine Gen. Peter Pace, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, cries in Senate hearings about immigration reform. What is your point?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/10/immigration.military.ap/index.html

i recommend you observe some of our warriors fighting prowess before you declare they have lost their masculine fighting prowess.

Archived