Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football players gang-raped girl, 11, police say

Blondie

This is disgusting. These guys should be locked up.....or shot. Which ever is easier.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/10/girl.raped.ap/index.html

Football players gang-raped girl, 11, police say

Victim was a runaway from a group home

FRESNO, California (AP) -- The rape of an 11-year-old girl may have involved as many as 10 men, most of whom are football players at local community colleges, police said.

Police arrested two men in connection with the rape Saturday night, and officials said they identified eight others as persons of interest in the case. Most or all are students at either Fresno City College or Reedley College, police said.

The victim, a runaway from a group home, went to a Fresno apartment complex Saturday night to visit an acquaintance, said police spokesman Jeff Cardinale.

While she was inside one of the units, she allegedly was sexually assaulted multiple times by several men, he said. (Watch a neighbor describe the suspects -- 1:41)

The girl then fled the apartment and sought help from a couple on the street who called police, Cardinale said.

The victim was taken to University Medical Center for an examination.

Mackey Davis, 20, and Eddie Scott, 19, were arrested on one count each of child molestation with a victim under 14 and oral copulation with a victim under 18. Both were being held Sunday at Fresno County Jail on $100,000 bail.

The rape allegedly took place in housing arranged by the Fresno City College football team. Davis and Scott were students at Reedley and may have been in the process of transferring to Fresno City, Cardinale said.

Calls and e-mails to the Fresno City athletic department were not immediately returned. Calls to Reedley went unanswered.

Blondie

This sh** makes me sick. This is why its so hard to watch the news at night. Just glad I live where I do.

Umm, they never have horrible crimes in Cincinnatti?

This happened in Fresno, not in an LA ghetto.

It certainly is horrible. :mad:

There should have been greater outrage when our soldiers raped and killed the Iraqi girl and her family, but I doubt that was the case

That's because some of the other 'atrocity' cases have been cooked up and there's growing doubt about them. It probably had a wearying effect on the public's perception of these stories. I know it did on mine until I heard more details about how the charges were developed and brought.

Oh, and in war zones, some very ugly aspects of human nature come out, especially if you're encountering people you are associating with the 'enemy.' Football players can not in any way claim such psychological or moral stresses on their decision-making.

But that case with the girl seems more solid and I am absolutely disgusted. If torture before death was an option, all those who participated in it would receive that penalty.

At least you know they can receive the death penalty in that case (and should, if guilty.)

That's because some of the other 'atrocity' cases have been cooked up and there's growing doubt about them. It probably had a wearying effect on the public's perception of these stories. I know it did on mine until I heard more details about how the charges were developed and brought.

Oh, and in war zones, some very ugly aspects of human nature come out, especially if you're encountering people you are associating with the 'enemy.' Football players can not in any way claim such psychological or moral stresses on their decision-making.

But that case with the girl seems more solid and I am absolutely disgusted. If torture before death was an option, all those who participated in it would receive that penalty.

At least you know they can receive the death penalty in that case (and should, if guilty.)

wartime stress is an incredible thing, and may make a man do crazy things, but it's no excuse for raping and murdering a girl and her family

wartime stress is no excuse for raping and murdering a girl and her family

Uh, Mick, who said it was an excuse?

I'm saying that if you don't think combat brings out uglier sides of some human beings than what would have been demonstrated 'back in the world' then you really haven't followed human history.

And that there is no 'triggering' effect or reason for these guys in this case.

I'm not calling it worse, a rape and mass murder is worse always. I'm just saying the perceptions will be different with a crime in peacetime involving a child and a group of human beings with no external stressors acting upon them than they would be for even a horrible war crime.

It seems to also validate the "mob" mentality. Together men do more evil.....as they feed off of each other. And when I say "men", I mean human kind, not the gender.

One has to wonder if any one of them alone would have participated in this disgusting act.

Blondie

This thread goes like this:

-insert stereotypical comment of horror and then go back to life not giving a damn about the atrocity-

This news story is going to affect any of your lives how? None? What are you going to do now that you've read it? Nothing? Then what good does it do you to post about how awful you think it is? As if people need to read your shock and empathy to realize you have some level of human decency.:cheers:

It seems to also validate the "mob" mentality. Together men do more evil.....as they feed off of each other. And when I say "men", I mean human kind, not the gender.

One has to wonder if any one of them alone would have participated in this disgusting act.

Blondie

I agree with you, though I don't think it's unfair to say that men (as in males) are more prone to commit barbarous acts when in a group.

And hopefully Steve, once we get past the typical comment, we can get to some intelligent discussions (like the Georgetown murder.)

Please, let's not argue about which act was more disgusting, this vile business in Fresno or the rape and murder in Mahmudiyah. Both incidents are disgusting and unconscionable, and neither should be defended in any way. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior, no justification for treating another person (let alone a young woman) this way. I am glad to live in a society with the means to bring some justice to those who commit such acts, and I hope I live in a society that will follow through. Say a prayer for the victims, and keep them in your memory and thoughts, lest their suffering be forgotten.

Please, let's not argue about which act was more disgusting, this vile business in Fresno or the rape and murder in Mahmudiyah. Both incidents are disgusting and unconscionable, and neither should be defended in any way.

Trust me, chap, no one is arguing about which is more disgusting. A rape and murder of an entire family is irrevocable and barbaric, it ranks higher. Mick chose to read a meaning into my post about reaction to the crime as some kind of excuse.

I've never truly understood mob mentality. To me, if I see thousands of people in the middle of the street, rioting and destroying stuff, my first thought would be "Exit, stage Left". Also, rape has to be one of the worst crimes EVER. Seeing a woman, much less a little child screaming and crying as....Well, you know what I'm getting at, I'm not going to get into anymore detail. Mob mentality or not, you are one F'd up person if you could take part.

Archived