Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Talk to me about digital cameras

Destino

I'm looking to pick up a digital camera but I've given myself a major headache researching the damn things. The smaller the better IMO because you can't take the picture if you don't have your camera and I can't see myself lugging an SLR monster around. But the "ultra compact" camera reviews all make them out to be total pieces of crap.

If they have good picture quality they have crappy battery life or break if you look at them funny. If they are small and have great screens and battery life then the picture quality sucks - and just what the hell is good picture quality anyway? The review sites don't come out and say it but I suspect their standards are higher then mine will ever be. I just want a friggin picture I don't care if it looks great when I print out a poster then size of my car.

My sister loves her little casio but the review sites say it's crap. My friends hated the sony but the sites say it's pure gold. Advil to the rescue.

Feel free to share your wisdom or ask questions if you are looking as well.

Get a cradle and rechargeable battery and I wouldn't expect battery life to be an issue.

The cost of memory cards has fallen to nothing so that's no longer an issue.

Other than size in your hand, if you're just looking for a camera to take snaps (some of which you will get prints of) two other important criteria are optical zoom and number of pixels. ABout 18 months ago we went with a Kodak 4MP camera with a little optical zoom and have been very happy. We felt 4MP is enough for us ... once you get too many pixels all you're really doing is filling up your memory card and PC hard drive faster. The camera doesn't fit in a shirt pocket ... it's about the size of two packs of playing cards, but at that size it's not too small that we would lose it. On a recent vacation my kids took more than a thousand pics. It's been dropped a few times and survived.

I sell cameras all day so I couldn't possibly type what I know.......If no one cares about this thread I'll help ya though.....

Quick tips just in case:

#1- aviod the higher end casios for now......

#2-if you go over 5 mpxl get an ULTRA or EXTREME sd card.....standard is a waste of money

#3- the canons higher than the a530 series are really good with suburb optical stablization ( I did an instore test with a woman that had parkinsons )

#4- Buy a freakin bag that doesn't crush the screen with the slightest touch......too many of those thin cameras are being returned because the screens crumble

#5- If they have a 2 or 4 year accident warrenty ask what the average wait time is IF it has to be sent out. Ask if you can buy the 2 year now and buy it again later in 2 years......

#6- if they have muliple plans ask to see all of them......

#7-Ask if there is a restocking fee for returning them if needed.....

#8- Don't shop somewhere that has commisioned salemen......you'll get what they need not what you need........

#9- Battery wise.....I perfer AA rech. b/c you can carry a bunch but the high end cameras use Lith. ion.....I prefer Duracell 2650mil'amps......make sure to grab a spare lith. ion whle you are there.....

#10-ritz cameras has good accesories but their camera's are through the roof......Best buy and Circuit City proce match local retailers but circuit city takes 10 percent of the difference,,,,,check to see if they have any coupons IN store for the purcahse.......don't even bother with comp usa IMO......only go to best buy if you want to be ignored too......one other thing circuit city will not honor internet proces like on amazon so don't ask....lol......

Here is the easy answer to your question. I researched this subject a ton just 2 months ago, we got this one at a good price, and it is fantastic. Canon Powershot SD630. It is fast, sturdy and reliable, and the giant viewscreen can't be beat. The CNET review had only one complaint - that the controls were too small. Well, the reviewer must be Paul Bunyan, because I have big hands and I have no problems with it. Look at the reviews from readers - a 9.1 average is phenomenal.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_SD630/4505-6501_7-31740584.html

Buy it online and you will save a ton - but be sure you deal with a reputable seller. Check prices at bizrate.com and then doublecheck the reviews of the particular reseller at resellerratings.com.

If you just want a point-n-shoot, I recommend Olympus because of the picture quality. We went to a digital SLR this spring but for the last couple of years were using an Olympus-Auto everything-Pictures for Dummies that took great pics. I looked at a lot of cameras and compared the pictures they took, not the specs and company selling points, etc. Had a chance to compare a major cross-section including Nikon, Pentax, Canon, etc., at the same place under the same conditions, and the Olympus was head and shoulders above the rest.

Shop for price online with a reputable outfit, you will beat any store price.

#10-ritz cameras has good accesories but their camera's are through the roof......Best buy and Circuit City proce match local retailers but circuit city takes 10 percent of the difference,,,,,check to see if they have any coupons IN store for the purcahse.......don't even bother with comp usa IMO......only go to best buy if you want to be ignored too......one other thing circuit city will not honor internet proces like on amazon so don't ask....lol......

Ritz prices arent out of the roof .... They're competitive with all other vendors ... and you actually get a better deal when you purchase a camera with Ritz. You get all kinds of free things - It's called the "Summer Digital Advantage."

And if you find a lower price, all you have to do is tell the store manager and they'll match the price - but you won't get the Summer Digital Advantage goodies. Ritz matches Apples for Apples.

Destino - I'm currently using the Casio EX-Z850. Its a 8.1 MP digital camera with 3x optical zoom (which isn't superb, but it works for me). The LCD screen on the back is a 2.5" super bright screen. The camera also has an anti-shake function. The camera comes with the docking cradle.

I'm very happy with this camera. I had a 4MP Casio before the Z850. I like the Casio cameras because they're easy to use and they're relatively compact. I can put my Z850 in the back pocket of my jeans and it's all good. I love the Casio cameras.

About a year ago I purchased the Canon Rebel XT. It is a superb camera. Picture quality is excellent. As you have said though it is a bit to lug around all the time.

About a month ago I purchased the Canon SD700IS. This camera is an ultra compact pocket camera. I keep it with me most places I go. The pictures are very good. The biggest area of difference between the 2 cameras is how well they handle low light situations. Indoors or at night the XT is way ahead of the 700IS which should be expected. To go small you do have to trade off something.

Archived