Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art Monk in Super Bowl XXVI

Hambone26

I was talking to a friend at a party a few weeks ago, and Monk's overturned TD catch in Super Bowl XXVI came up. Monk had 113 yards in that game - 1 yard less than Gary Clark, but failed to convert a TD. In the first quarter, the Redskins drove 89 yards, capped by an apparent TD pass from Rypien to Art Monk. The ref. signaled a TD, but after review, the play was overturned because Monk's second foot was on the line. My friend claimed that the ref. that signaled for the TD later contended that Monk should've been awarded 6 points, except that the ref. failed to indicate that Monk was pushed out. According to the ref., had he motioned that Monk was pushed out and therefore a TD, then the play couldn't have been overturned.

I'm sure this has been discussed before (yes, I ran a search), but it's the off-season and I'm curious about a few things:

1. Do you believe that Monk was pushed out or that he simply stepped out?

2. Has anyone ever heard an interview of that ref. and does he actually think he made a bad call?

3. Had Monk been scored with a TD in a Super Bowl, do you think he'd be in the Hall of Fame given all the other arguments against him?

1. No he was not pushed out. Monk's first foot came down inbounds and then he got pushed. Rule doesn't apply.

2. I haven't heard any interview with him. I do know that he was standing on the line looking right at Monk's foot when he signalled touchdown.

3. Absolutely.

One heel, equalls a toe. It has alreadfy been concluded by the NFL that it SHOULD have been rulled a TD. His 2nd foot came down (his heel) and then his toes to follow which were out of bounds, which is why they ruled him out. But his hell should have counted as being in.

He got hosed. But being the class act, he never publicly complained.

It was a year when all plays were reviewed when a TD was scored. The ref called it a TD, it was the booth that overturned it. I believe one year earlier and it would not have been automatically reviewed. I believe replay dissapeared for a while the year after, and certainly there was no coaches challenge back then. It was the rub of the green Monk had in his career and after.

i didnt know that he had that many yards in that game. too bad he was robbed of that td catch, it would take away some steam from Peter Queen's argument.

It would take away everything from his arguement. Even without that catch he had 4 catches for 79 yards in that drive. That's 20 yards a catch. In one drive. And they weren't easy catches. On two of them he took a huge pounding from a DB and hung onto the ball. On one he juked a DB out of his pants and ran an extra 20 yards after the catch. It was an a amazing one-man drive. It set the tone for the entire offense that day and opened things up for guys like Clark (who were dropping some easy ones early on.)

Had he scored that TD it would have been that 'signature moment' that everyone says he lacks. Even so it was a hell of a performance.

Yeah he was robbed & btw it was that play that helped eliminate instant replay the following season because it showed the old system did not work. Monk & Payton two of the classiest acts to ever be in the NFL bot were unable to score in the Super Bowl. Kinda sad.

The only thing I would add is that it wouldn't make any difference for Monk being in the HOF. The morons are holding it over Monk's head as their way of punishing Monk for not granting interviews. When they think they have made their point, they will "let" Monk in.

Hail,

H

Not to hijack this thread but you can blame that last one on that ass munch Mike Ditka. To let a load of **** like Refrigerator Perry score instead of Payton was one of the wrongest things ever.

Maybe Dick-ka and his huge ego thought they'd be back the next few years...fortunately, Joe didn't allow him.

The only thing I would add is that it wouldn't make any difference for Monk being in the HOF. The morons are holding it over Monk's head as their way of punishing Monk for not granting interviews. When they think they have made their point, they will "let" Monk in.
I think that's an overly simplistic explanation of why Art isn't in the HOF. The vast majority of voters are making their own honest assessments, and the vote just hasn't gone Art's way for the past few years.

Art has run into a few receivers that have been competing for his votes over the years: Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, James Lofton, Bob Hayes (who actually wasn't inducted), and now Michael Irvin (who isn't in yet).

I think if Art had made that catch, it would have elevated him in many voters' minds, and it would have been enough to get him over the hump in 2001 or 2002 over Swann and Stallworth; or in 2005 over Irvin.

In any case, 2007 should be a really good chance, and hopefully he gets in this time.

7 catches for 113 yards is evidence that Monk was productive in a championship game for the Redskins. So much for the myth that he never produced in the postseason.

You can go back to games like the Philly road game in the first round in 1990 where he caught the winning touchdown pass in a rough and tumble contest to allow the Redskins to advance. But because the Redskins didn't win the Super Bowl that year it is lost on the media types. If the '90 Skins had won the SB that TD would be a highlight now and Monk would already be in the HOF.

The call was correct...Monk had his first foot down and didn't quite get the second one down...tough luck.

Regardless, he dominated on that drive and was literally an inch away from leading the best team to an opening drive TD against the second best team on the biggest stage. Like others have said, TD or no TD, it was a HOF game for Art.

I'm sure this has been discussed before (yes, I ran a search), but it's the off-season and I'm curious about a few things:

1. Do you believe that Monk was pushed out or that he simply stepped out?

2. Has anyone ever heard an interview of that ref. and does he actually think he made a bad call?

3. Had Monk been scored with a TD in a Super Bowl, do you think he'd be in the Hall of Fame given all the other arguments against him?

1. no push.

2. no interview

3. no. one play doesn't matter

The call was correct...Monk had his first foot down and didn't quite get the second one down...tough luck.

Regardless, he dominated on that drive and was literally an inch away from leading the best team to an opening drive TD against the second best team on the biggest stage. Like others have said, TD or no TD, it was a HOF game for Art.

The 2nd foot was called out because his heel hit in bounds and his toe came down on the line. The NFL later said that the heel SHOULD HAVE counted as if the toe was in.

The NFL admitted they botched the replay call.

One heel, equalls a toe.

I've never heard of that. really. Don't take this as an argument, but I thought it was 1 knee equals 2 feet.

If you think about it, the natural reaction of the foot is to come down heel first and then toe. It this is the case, then most players would be called in when their toes hit the line. I've never seen that.

I you find the rule, let me know. I would be interested in seeing what the actual rule is.

The 2nd foot was called out because his heel hit in bounds and his toe came down on the line. The NFL later said that the heel SHOULD HAVE counted as if the toe was in.

The NFL admitted they botched the replay call.

Do you have a link to that or any kind of source? If it was reported in a newspaper or anything, I would really like to put it on the Art Monk Hall of Fame Campaign site.
I've never heard of that. really. Don't take this as an argument, but I thought it was 1 knee equals 2 feet.

If you think about it, the natural reaction of the foot is to come down heel first and then toe. It this is the case, then most players would be called in when their toes hit the line. I've never seen that.

Actually when you're sprinting or jumping, you land on the ball of your foot first, and the toes hit at the same time. If you land on your heels, it will really hurt your knees, and you'll end up on your butt.

I'm pretty sure the replay call was right, but I would love to see a link or a source that says otherwise.

I'll look for it guys. I'll chekc the NFL rule book first. But I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that I saw on TV...it might have been the Super Bowl DVD or something where an official said they play SHOULD have stood. Please stand by...

I looked on-line for the NFL fules...I was unable to find anything specific about "feet inbounds" etc.

There must be someone else on ES that saw the same clip as I did regarding the NFL saying it was wringly overturned. Maybe less of a deal has been made out of it since the Redskins went on to win the game. But if you all remember, on the unsueing field goal attempt, Ruttledge muffed the sanp and the Bills recovered. It was a 7 points swing which COULD have cost us the game if we weren't so darn good!

I did a Googl;e search for "Art Monk" and "Super Bowl" and "instant Replay mistckes" but came up empty, except for some nice memeories.

Another thing to keep in mind...1991 was the last seaosn they had instant replay until it was re-adapted in the late 90's.

Super Bowl 26 was the last game of the 91-92 season so what better way to show it worked than by over turning the first touch down in Super Bowl history...the problem was...it was WRONGLY overturned and the NFL knew it.

I AM still a big supporter if IR...it just still needs to be tweaked a bit.

Nice pics Bleed. Since he was kind of stumbling while being tackled, his heel definitely did hit first. Do you know what web site you got them from or which video was used to do the screen capture?

So what would his stats have been if the TD counted? That looks like a TD to me, just like it did when I watched that game years ago.

8 catches, 115 yards and a TD.

Skins win 44-24.

Of course, that assumes everything else played out the same way afterwards. We have no real way of knowing that. But had the catch counted he'd have been at 5 catches for 81 yards and a TD at that point.

Archived