Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Gus laid out and followed a great gameplan, really impressed with his takedown defense. He made certain to avoid any clinch situations at all costs. The one time Jones was able to really close the distance was the 4th in which he had Gus badly hurt.

Both guys showed really good chins, Jones eating a bunch of hard straight rights and a couple of uppercuts in brief moments in the clinch. Gus ate a few headkicks clean, even when he was tired which pretty much proves that Bones doesn't have one-shot power. If he did, it probably wouldn't be fair.

It will be very interesting to see how each fighter alters their gameplan when they fight again.

That said, I'm not sure how many other fighters are capable of following Gus' blueprint. Gus' footwork and fluidity in his boxing were just as important as his length.

Edited by StillUnknown

Wow, great fight, rematch for sure, sorry glover, go do some cardio, fake an injury to avoid fighting another top 10 & see you in the summer, a technical LHW with good cardio could beat Glover if they play smart defense & are patient.

Nice to see that reach is A HUGE part of Bones success. He keeps smaller guys outside their range, picks them apart slowly then attack when they get tired, but he couldn't do that to gus. Fought a guy his own size & looked average.

4 rounds Bones? No freakin way. I had it 3-2 for Gus, which means I would listen to an argument for 4-1 gus or 3-2 jones, but 4-1 jones is almost as bad as the Mayweather judge who called the fight a draw.

Has to go rematch, I like the superbowl weekend fight, initially thought they would do GSP that weekend, but if Jones is healthy- looked like crap limping out of cage- the ranch makes sense that weekend.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

There's absolutely no way fight metric got this right...I've been watching MMA for years and I know who won the damn fight, it was plain as day. Jones got absolutely picked apart and I refuse to believe anything that says he landed more significant strikes. Jones lost and if they're going to start predetermining outcomes if they go to the cards then I'm done. The judges are getting ridiculous and I'm not going to waste my time watching one of my favorite sports get ruined for money.

There's absolutely no way fight metric got this right...I've been watching MMA for years and I know who won the damn fight, it was plain as day. Jones got absolutely picked apart and I refuse to believe anything that says he landed more significant strikes. Jones lost and if they're going to start predetermining outcomes if they go to the cards then I'm done. The judges are getting ridiculous and I'm not going to waste my time watching one of my favorite sports get ruined for money.

Its perfectly acceptable to think that Gus won that fight, but its very hard to argue that there was "no way" Bones won that fight. Other people who have also been watching MMA for years scored the fight for Jones. It was an extremely close fight, I can't argue that Gus got "robbed" or that something shady happened.

Most people seem to concede that Bones won the 4th & 5th rounds. Round 2 seems to be the toss-up round in the equation. The majority of people who scored it for Bones, gave him rounds 2, 4, & 5.

• Like 1

See I don't feel Bones won round 4, unless you think the elbow he hit with :45 left in the round, erases everything else in that round?  This isn't boxing where a knockdown automatically deducts a point from the opponent.  Leading up to that vicious elbow, Gus was winning that round comfortably.  The elbow did lead to Gus almost being done, but he survived and because of that I can't give the round to Bones. 

I don't like when it seems that the judges are influenced by one big flurry at the end of the round similar to the "that takedown might have stolen the round" when the rest of the round tells a different story.  That elbow certainly did change the tone of the fight though as it probably was the biggest strike landed in the fight by either fighter and it kept Gus at bay for the 5th round as well.

Interesting: See image below1239854_203909456449362_2056103630_n.jpg

Also, in the first couple of rounds how much did Jones's kick to Gus's knees account for his strikes landed? Because it seemed early on he was pretty content just to do that, hoping it would eliminate Gus's ability to strike later.

Edited by NoCalMike

I don't think you're wrong Mike, and I usually follow your philosophy in respect to end of the round flurries. That said, I think that flurry in the 4th won the round for Bones because Gus was essentially saved by the bell. If Gus wasn't hurt as bad as he was, it would have been easier to give the round to Gus, but he was on roller skates. As much as we may hate it, judges are human too, when they see somebody doing major damage the last 1+ of action, it stands out.

i2tHXLNfcoUAY.jpg

Brutal fight for both guys.

That photo goes to show how bad MMA judging is. Both fighters went to the hospital, one is standing with a piece of gauze on his head, the other is in a hospital bed & being monitored but the judges say the prone sowllen guy won.  It is pretty obvious to anyone, not just MMA fans, who took more damage in that fight.  Heck, Gus walked out of the cage, Jones needed help, apparently an ambulance met him in the tunnel back to the dressing room.

Go ahead, and debate who won what round by how many strikes they landed-or didn't- & multiply that by the number of takedowns-since takedowns are worth like 500x twenty good strikes, but in the end, this proves MMA judging as we currently know it has no clue how to tell who took more damage in the fight, and when you think about it, that really should be a major, if not the only factor in deciding a winner when a fight goes to decision. 

What does it matter how many "significant" strikes Jones had if those strikes only bruised, or just grazed Gus? Yes Gus had less significant strikes, but the ones he landed did more damage than all of Jones strikes combined.  Jones had like 2 really big strikes that Hurt Gus from what I saw, the elbow that opened the cut and I think it was a kick or a pinning kick late in the fight that knocked the wind out of Gus.  Kind of reminds me of Snachez Kampmann, where the technical fighter who did more damage lost, but the guy who threw the exciting looking strikes gets the victory.  

That photo goes to show how bad MMA judging is. Both fighters went to the hospital, one is standing with a piece of gauze on his head, the other is in a hospital bed & being monitored but the judges say the prone sowllen guy won.  It is pretty obvious to anyone, not just MMA fans, who took more damage in that fight.  Heck, Gus walked out of the cage, Jones needed help, apparently an ambulance met him in the tunnel back to the dressing room.

A post fight photo of damage isn't a guarantee to determine who won the fight. Not saying its what happened Saturday night, but its entirely possible for a fighter to get beat down and suffer bad damage in one round, win the other 4 and look worse than his opponent after the fight.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I missed the main card last night and still haven't seen the fight. Gonna make popcorn and open a cold one right before I watch. ****ing Redskins, least I have the UFC.

I haven't seen it either, was traveling this weekend. Going to watch it tonight, sounds like the Jones/Gust fight was epic. And I agree, at least we have MMA. The Redskins have looked so ****ty that I'm looking forward to UFC cards more than Sundays during football season...sigh. 

A post fight photo of damage isn't a guarantee to determine who won the fight. Not saying its what happened Saturday night, but its entirely possible for a fighter to get beat down and suffer bad damage in one round, win the other 4 and look worse than his opponent after the fight.

true, it is not a guarentee to determine who won, but we all saw the fight, Gus didn't do all that damage in 1 minute of 1 round only to have Jones blow him up for the other 24 minutes.  Gus's strikes did more damage, Jones' strikes made the judges & crowd say "ooh & ahh", and apparently-along with 1 takedown per round-is all you need to win on a judge's scorecard.

I have a hard time giving a round to Jones where Gus landed just a few shots that obviously hurt the champ, compared to the high volume, low success rate of significant strikes Jones threw.  It was almost like as soon as Jones threw a spinning elbow-even if it didn't land- the judges decided he has done enough to win the round, and it's like Jones knew it too, anytime he thought he was down on the scorecard-out comes the spinning elbow to erase any lead Gus might of had. 

Gus needs to practice something exciting for the rematch, something to get the crowd to go nuts, like a 6'5" blonde Swedish kartwheel kick of death ( I would love to hear Joe Rogan's reaction to A) Gus attemping one & B) getting a KO with one).  If he pulls of one of those per round, he should win, or he can just finish Jones, which didn't look possible before this fight. 

It was a good fight.  I'm a Jones fan, and honestly was feeling that Jones needed to knock Gus out to win.

Heard the card totals and all I could do was shake my head.  They watched a different fight than I did sitting at home. It's sad.

I was very impressed with Gus' ability to own the octagon.  His fighting style was wreaking havoc onJones.

Sorry to say this, but the champ won because he was the champ and is flashy - not because he won.

Can't wait for the rematch!

I like Mr. Wonderful, wouldnt mind him fighting Texeria while jones and Gus have a rematch. Also, lost in the main event, Renan would beat Cruz

I think a healthy Cruz would beat him, but I'm not sure that version exists anymore.

Cruz's movement was such an important part of his game, its hard to believe he comes back the same after 2 acl surgeries.

Cruz is about as boring as it gets. He is zero threat to finish any elite fighters, and whenever he gets hit he seems to get dropped and has to scramble to recover. He is the latest in the mindset of "patty-cake volume wins, everytime"

As far as Compubox stats in the Main Event, that is exactly why you can't go by statistics because they don't tell the story of the fight. Those numbers judge all strikes the same, whether it is a light kick to the knee, or a strike that half lands on a shoulder or arm before barely grazing the intended target.

Jones vs. Glover in Feb...I was thinking immediate rematch, but okay. Jones said, "screw dat reach." :ols: So who does Gus fight next? Winner of Evans/Sonnen? I got Gus against either of 'em. I watched Gus' fight against Te Huna yesterday, and he was getting handled until the RNC. Dude has made crazy strides.

Dudes, UFC 167 and 168, ho-lee-shish-kabob.

Yeah, taking Glvoer fight makes Jones look weak, especially when you consider what he said before & after the fight.

Just before the Gus fight, Jones was asked about Glover & said he didn't think much of him, I think he called him a lot like Rampage, but with better grappling.  Then after the fight, Jones said he watched the replay at least 10 times, and said he thinks he won the fight handily, so there is no need for a rematch.

What a load of crap.  The first real fight this guy has gotten into because he finally fought someone his own size and now he wants nothing to do with it.  From this, I can gather that Jones really doesn't like to fight, he likes to use his reach to hurt people and protect himself at the same time. That's not a figher, that's a sadist. 

And yeah doubles, 167 & 168 are looking pretty sick.  167 I think they are going to have a hard time picking which fights make the main event & which are prelims-if it holds up, that will be the best UFC PPV card ever, far better than 100 IMO.  168 is looking good as well, but I don't think the prelims will be able to compare to 167. 

I am really disapointed to see Chris Leben scheduled to fight at 168.  I saw his last fight at 162 live and it was a sad and horrible thing to watch in the 3rd round, like watching a man dying before your eyes, I even think his opponent Andrew Craig pittied him and didn't go for the finish he looked so bad.  By the 1 minute mark of round 3, most people in the stands stopped watching, checked their phones, went for food or to the washroom, it was just uncomfortable on so many levels, I am really surprised Dana booked him for another fight after the last one. Dana even said he was going to have the Liddell talk with Leben at the 162 post fight presser, but he's still fighting.  The only 2 people I saw who where still watching the fight (but didnt really want to given Leben's state) where a couple from Texas sitting next to me who trained BJJ with the guy Leben was fighting.

Leben recently put on an assload of muscle and is hulked out beyond belief. His cardio took a mighty hit and he's lost speed. Kinda reminds me of how Tito's looked the past few years. These guys need to get outta the weight room. Leben has become a good guy in the sport though, I'll be rooting for him, but at this point I feel like most guys will be at an overall athletic advantage over him.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 weeks later...