Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Well Pettis was supposed to fight Aldo, until TJ Grant got injured and they asked Pettis to fill in for the title fight.

I believe this would be first current champ v. current champ since Penn/GSP 2, right?

I believe you're right. Still not buying TJ Grant's "injury". They needed Pettis to headline to sell tickets in Milwaukee.

Benson had the right strategy initially, keeping Pettis attached to the cage and landing strikes in the clinch. The moment Pettis got some space to work, he landed those vicious kicks to the body which ****ed up Benson's night entirely. That's the beauty of Pettis, he doesn't need many strikes to make an impact. He's clearly thinking about every shot before he throws it. I love seeing fighters, especially young fighters, using strategy based on what they're seeing.

UFC has to be happy with Pettis as champ. Benson is a great fighter, but his grinding style isn't for everybody. Pettis should be a lot easier to market, you can always bank on him to give you something spectacular.

Edited by StillUnknown

Yeah, Pettis is to highlight reels as Joe Lauzon is to fight bonuses. I watched Pettis/Lauzon the other day, boy was Lauzon numbed up with a kick that almost looked effortless. It's like Ken Griffey Jr.s homerun swing. Perfect aim, flawless technique.

Pettis goes to 145 and takes Aldo's belt, we have a superstar for the sport. This kid has swagger, he'd be doing interviews with two belts on his shoulders. He fights with tremendous style. Fringe fans will buy in to that. I hope he goes after Aldo at 145, instead of Aldo going up Lightweight.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I'm not a fan of guys moving to another weight class and instantly getting a title shot. What you do at 145 doesn't mean anything at 155 and vice versa. We've all seen guys that move up or down and struggle. I think fighters should earn their title shots at each level. If Pettis and Aldo fight I'd be happy with a catch weight. I also wouldn't want a fighter with two belts causing a jam at both weights because they can't defend each 2-3 times a year.

Pettis needs to go to 145, he called Aldo out. You call them out you go to their division. Some nice fights tonight. Mendes is a bad man, and I wouldn't mind Aldo vs Mendes 2 or Aldo vs Pettis @ 145. 

I'd rather see Aldo at 145 at this point. There's nothing left for him to accomplish at 145. I'm not really a fan of somebody who just wins a title moving a division before defending it.

Aldo's cleaned out 145 top to bottom, and not cutting will probably clean up his conditioning.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm not a fan of guys moving to another weight class and instantly getting a title shot. What you do at 145 doesn't mean anything at 155 and vice versa. We've all seen guys that move up or down and struggle. I think fighters should earn their title shots at each level. If Pettis and Aldo fight I'd be happy with a catch weight. I also wouldn't want a fighter with two belts causing a jam at both weights because they can't defend each 2-3 times a year.

Lots of dynamics here. Aldo vs. Pettis is a stylistic dream fight, and someone going for two belts is an enormous draw in itself. Pettis was scheduled to fight Jose already, the buzz that created was huge even before Pettis had a belt. Unfinished business. Pettis just smashed a guy that was whipping everyone at Lightweight, and nobody has been knocking at the door at LW for an extended period besides Pettis. TJ Grant can use another fight. Besides beating up Maynard, he hasn't been facing top competition. Both of those divisions are cluster****s now, we can take time for serious contenders to emerge.

As for catchweight, i think the bottom line, right now, is that the UFC doesn't want a champion losing and still being champion. If Aldo beats Pettis at a catchweight, the LW champ will have just lost to the FW champ. I think this fight will happen at 155, or it won't happen at all. Judging by how they approached GSP vs Anderson vs Jones matchups...I think we'll see Pettis vs Grant and Aldo vs. whoever is #1 contender at FW.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll