Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Rousey vs. Carmouche picks:

Coming off the Overeem train wreck, I was thinking 'bout an upset tomorrow night. Carmouche is a pretty well rounded fighter, she hurts chicks and finishes them from time to time. Rousey is in and out of the cage so fast, that there's still a lot of questions about her all around game. She's a machine at judo and a wizard at the arm bar. I think that combo is still too high level for any chick (maybe even Cyborg). Rousey via armbar early rd 1.

Henderson vs. Machida is classic my friends. Soak this one in. Hendo is still a ****ing tank. He's all power and it's only a 3 rounder. So if he gasses it won't be as beneficial for Machida for as long. Then again, Machida might not need that time. You just never know, Hendo has been known to get dropped a lot, and everyone is human. I think one of the best attributes about Hendo is his survivability. The guy is great at defending himself when he's hurt. He might get subbed, but he still intelligently defends himself from strikes when you know he's seeing triple. I think he gets dropped early in this fight, but claws back and knocks Machida out in the middle of the second round.

Koscheck vs. Lawler? I think Koscheck rides this one out in honor of Jon Fitch.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Rousey vs. Carmouche picks:

Coming off the Overeem train wreck, I was thinking 'bout an upset tomorrow night. Carmouche is a pretty well rounded fighter, she hurts chicks and finishes them from time to time. Rousey is in and out of the cage so fast, that there's still a lot of questions about her all around game. She's a machine at judo and a wizard at the arm bar. I think that combo is still too high level for any chick (maybe even Cyborg). Rousey via armbar early rd 1.

Cover my ass, cover my ass, cover my ass, pick the obvious. :peaceout: :)

Cover my ass, cover my ass, cover my ass, pick the obvious. :peaceout: :)

In this sport it's always smart to play devils advocate in your thought process. If Liz were to win I'm not going to say "told you so" after picking Ronda early in round 1. Just fun to imagine huge upsets.

Besides, the last half of the paragraph was my reasoning on why Ronda should win, it's not like I changed the tone in the last sentence. I just have to ask myself, what if the throw and armbar doesn't play out right away?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Liz has no victories over any fighter with a winning record. She was chosen for a reason.

Machida over Hendo: Hendo gasses late in the fight, Machida scores one his patented trip takedowns, and gets the late submission.

Faber over Menjivar: No title on the line, so Faber shines.

Edited by StillUnknown

Carmouche is a good matchup for Rousey. A wrestler who is likely going to take the fight to the ground herself, even if she stops Ronda from taking it to the ground on her own terms. Until Ronda runs into someone who can defender her takedowns, and keep it on the feet, but also has the striking to keep her out of range for the clinch, she is going to be able to keep the train rolling on the tracks.

Something that never sat well with my about Cyborg, is how many fights she won merely because it seemed like she was so much stronger than her opponents. It wasn't that she was displaying this marvelous technique in every fight (even though she is sold as having great skills) Hell, Gina Carano of all people had Cyborg mounted pretty early in their fight and simply gave up the position for no reason at all like she had no idea what to do with such a good position. She basically bull rushes her opponents and overwhelms them. Then I started examining her record, especially over the last few years when she was likely doped up, and it is amazing the amount of women she fought that were really 135 lb weight division fighters, simply moving up because it was the biggest money fight for them to take. I know there is talks of a Marlos Coenen vs. Cyborg fight and that would be another case of a smaller fighter putting on weight to take on someone they probably shouldn't be fighting. Coenen has displayed more technical skill then I have ever seen out of Cyborg ever, but would likely lose just due to being overpowered.

Hendo vs. Machida: It's the big right hand vs. Anything could hit me or kick me at anytime. While I think Hendo is still viable against the right opponents, Machida is not a very good opponent to go against when you are pretty much living and dying on "one big punch" I feel this is Machida's fight to lose and as long as he doesn't get pulled into a brawl and sticks with his game plan he should win the fight. It might be less exciting than people are expecting due to Machida wanting to stay out of Hendo's range for the right hand, and he could simply look to spend 3 rounds sticking and moving.

Faber is my hometown boy. Seen him fight live in person a few times now and I've gotta say, something changed in him after the Aldo fight. I am not sure if that fight took place late enough in his career that a butt-kicking like that was too mentally hard to get over or what, but ever since that fight he seems very "gun-shy" inside the cage. He has lost almost all of his aggressiveness and often seems to just circle around waiting for the fight to come to him and not really ever doing anything to press the fight. It sucks because he is also at the same time still good enough that he himself never really looks in trouble in any of his fights either. Even against a young hungry lion in Barao he never seemed hurt or in danger, but he just looked sluggish and cathartic, almost like he was just going through the motions. The fight against Cruz really set this into motion. Cruz is crafty no doubt, but anytime Faber landed gloves on Cruz, he went down, but Faber never was aggressive enough to try and follow those strikes up with anything, he would just back off and let Cruz get back up. That isn't the Faber of 5+ years ago.

Edited by NoCalMike

In this sport it's always smart to play devils advocate in your thought process. If Liz were to win I'm not going to say "told you so" after picking Ronda early in round 1. Just fun to imagine huge upsets.

Besides, the last half of the paragraph was my reasoning on why Ronda should win, it's not like I changed the tone in the last sentence. I just have to ask myself, what if the throw and armbar doesn't play out right away?

Just bustin' balls, Strokes! I totally do the same thing and always realize after posting that I was subconsciously only trying to set myself up for a post-fight, convenient "I told you so." :)

Koscheck over Lawler UD Round 3

Neer over McGee TKO Round 2

Faber over Menjivar UD Round 3

Machida over Henderson UD Round 3

Rousey over Carmouche SUB Round 1

I really want to see Lawler knock out Koscheck but I know it's wishful thinking since Koscheck will likely wrestle his way to a decision.

Koscheck via UD

Neer via TKO round 3

Faber via UD

Machida via TKO round 2

Rousey via flying heel hook (if not then armbar) at the end of round 1

KOTN Machida

SOTN Kenny Robertson with that ridiculous tapout in the FB prelims

FOTN Rousey/Carmouche or Machida/Hendo

Edited by styx491

The more I think about it the more awesome the Hendo/Machida matchup becomes. Machida's stance and technique is so badass, and Hendo is just badass in general. I watched the Fedor and Shogun fights today again and Dan Henderson is definitely one of the most entertaining fighters of all time. I think Machida can do better against Jon Jones than Hendo can though, especially Machida's second time at JJ.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

Holy **** Bermudez/Grice, incredible fight.

Damn everyone picking Machida! Let's go Hendo!!!

Agreed. I hope he brings his attitude tonight. Lyoto's just so elusive.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:08 PM ----------

Brendan Schaub is an absolute chump. He can't stand and bang with anyone with talent because he has no chin whatsoever and he pulls this crap. Schaub is garbage and needs to be cut.

I swore he was going to gas and blow it.

Was it fluke? Did Lawler defend any takedowns? I like Lawler but i thought Kos was going to blanket him.

Kos opened the round by blanketing him. Lawler slowly earned his way back to his feet, got good position with him standing and Kos in sprawl near the cage. Bang bam boom. Ruthless.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

Wow, Josh Neer is coming back from the dead.