Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Jeff Monson: I'm fighting M-1's Fedor Emelianenko on Nov. 12 in Russia

Fedor Emelianenko (31-4) will forge on with his career Nov. 12 when he meets onetime UFC heavyweight title-challenger Jeff Monson (42-12) at an M-1 event in his native Russia.

That's according to Monson, who on Tuesday tweeted that the fight was "confirmed" for an M-1 event. A city and venue were not a part of his announcement.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) sources said that while the bout is tentatively agreed to, no contracts are in place.

Vadim Finkelstein, co-founder of M-1 Global and Emelianenko's manager, confirmed over the weekend that the former Strikeforce fighter would fight in "late fall" against an opponent to be determined.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25117/jeff-monson-im-fighting-m-1s-fedor-emelianenko-on-nov-12-in-russia.mma

I have always been a fan of The Snowman, but I just can't get too excited about this fight, given some of his recent performances. Even though he had an eight fight win streak before his loss to Cormier, nothing that I saw was particularly impressive. He is a name that a lot of people know, but he happens to be quite a bit past his prime, IMO. Fedor's management is hoping to get a win over a name opponent to re-establish himself. But I just don't think there are a lot of guys out there for legitimate HW fights outside of Zuffa.

The date choice is curious, given the UFC on Fox debut on the same night. I assume that this is going to be on Showtime, since M-1 has contended that Fedor is contracted with the network. So I assume you will have Fedor-Monson promos running during CBS NFL games and Velasquez-JDS promos running during Fox games. Hmmm...a UFC heavyweight championship fight or a fight between a possibly washed up Fedor and a certainly washed up Monson. I know which one I will be watching and which one I will be DVRing.

I don't think it is a good idea by M-1 to hold this event on the same day as the UFC. It is just going to be so overshadowed on that particular day. Fedor was a great fighter, and I personally think he has something left, but he needs to get away from that camp. But he never proved to be the American ratings machine that many had hoped; it just did not happen. So fot the casual fan, if they choose to have this on the same day, it won't even register. Sure they may take a handful of viewers away from the UFC, but they will be torpedoing their own ratings as well, as many, many more people will be interested in the UFC fight.

Unless...they position it after the UFC fight so that people can watch the UFC fight(s) and then flip it over to Showtime. That makes a little sense, but I would have to wonder about the time difference, unless they have it taped (which is never a good idea these days). In order to have it live at, say 10 p.m. EST, it would be 6 a.m. in Moscow. Should be interesting, I guess.

I hope he doesn't do anything to **** up that fight. I'm looking forward to it more than almost any other fight this year.

Agreed. He keeps talking about wanting more money and wanting big fights. Well guess what, ace, you got the biggest fight you can have right now and probably a lot of money to go along with it. Don't screw it up. Unless you're scared, homie.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 04:16 PM ----------

I hope he doesn't do anything to **** up that fight. I'm looking forward to it more than almost any other fight this year.

Press conference just started, Diaz is not there. Dana is talking now...does not sound good...

No showed three flights to Canada for the first presser and has not showed up for this one. Dana is pissed...

"Nick looked me right in the face and lied to me"

Nick is out...Carlos Condit is in

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

Honestly, I think this could be a better fight than GSP-Diaz, although it is somewhat of a letdown just because of how much Diaz has talked about an opportunity like this.

@bokamotoESPN

Brett Okamoto

"Nobody can find Nick" Cesar Gracie, via Dana White.

"Nick looked me right in the face and lied to me"

Nick is out...Carlos Condit is in

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

Honestly, I think this could be a better fight than GSP-Diaz, although it is somewhat of a letdown just because of how much Diaz has talked about an opportunity like this.

Condit is a less talented version of Diaz. They have similar strengths, similar weaknesses, GSP lays on them both for 5 rounds.

@arielhelwani

Ariel Helwani

Dana: Cesar apologizes and says, "I agree with you 100%. We're embarrassed, I've been trying to chase Nick around town. No one can find him"

Edited by StillUnknown

Condit is a less talented version of Diaz. They have similar strengths, similar weaknesses, GSP lays on them both for 5 rounds.

I agree, but I don't agree. Their striking is different. Condit has a lot more power in his hands, Diaz has more accuracy. Condit has more variety in his striking with knees, elbows, kicks. Diaz is better on the ground, but Condit is bigger than Diaz so maybe it will be at least a little more difficult to get him to the ground.

More than likely. But maybe we can have Penn-Diaz if he gets his **** together.

not likely:

@bokamotoESPN

Brett Okamoto

Dana: I have to assume that yes, we'll let Nick Diaz go after this. (Hasn't made 100 percent decision yet.) #UFC

@ufc

UFC

Dana - he'd rather pull the fight now than promote a fight and then have to worry about whether Nick would show up the night of the fight

Edited by StillUnknown

not likely:

@bokamotoESPN

Brett Okamoto

Dana: I have to assume that yes, we'll let Nick Diaz go after this. (Hasn't made 100 percent decision yet.) #UFC

@ufc

UFC

Dana - he'd rather pull the fight now than promote a fight and then have to worry about whether Nick would show up the night of the fight

Yeah, for some reason, I did not realize that Condit-Penn was on the same card. While I think GSP-Condit is probably a better fight, I am pissed that it screws up Penn-Condit because I thought that was going to be explosive.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 05:13 PM ----------

Cesar Gracie: Not Pleased

"I don't blame Dana White on this at all," Gracie today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "This is a professional company, and Nick is a 28-year-old man."

"I've stuck up for Nick, even when he was wrong before," Gracie said. "But he's let a lot of people down. He's let his team down. We all bought plane tickets to Vegas. We got hotel rooms booked, paid for. We've got all that, and Nick just decided not to go to something he's supposed to. They're paying him a lot of money, and in this economy where people don't have money, he's blessed. He should be thanking God every night how blessed he is.

"And instead, he's not getting on a plane to go to Vegas. I'm extremely disappointed. He's done a lot of stuff, but this is the worst of it. If I were him, I would be begging Dana White to get my job back and work your way up to a title shot at some point."

"I've barely slept in the last couple of days, and it's sickened me. Here's the opportunity that I've worked for for over 10 years, to mold a guy to become the best possible guy, and to show he can be the best guy in the world. And he takes this opportunity and he acts like an immature child about it.

"It's disturbing, to say the least. He got what he deserved by not taking this fight. He told everybody he would do whatever it would take to do it, he lobbied for it, and he acts like this. Dana White is 100 percent correct in what he did."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25128/nick-diaz-trainer-cesar-gracie-on-ufc-137-removal-he-got-what-he-deserved.mma

I can definitely see where Cesar Gracie is coming from when he says Nick has a deep ingrained social anxiety disorder. He always seems extremely uncomfortable talking to people.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/07/cesar-gracie-i-cant-stick-up-for-nick-on-this-one/

Blurb from this article:

Cesar Gracie: "He doesn't feel comfortable being around people," he said. "He has a very deep ingrained social anxiety, and it's something he probably needs help for, I think. I think that's why he self-medicates himself with the marijuana. That's my amateur opinion.

"He did the same crap with Paul Daley and a couple other guys. It was the same Nick Diaz. It's not the pressure of fighting GSP. It's the pressure of doing a news conference before the fight. Fighting is no pressure because he gets to beat someone up or get beat up."

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I feel bad for Gracie, he's been loyal through all of Diaz's actions. He's probably more concerned about making sure his other fighters don't get lumped in with Nick.

I do too, becase he has stuck with him through so much. And there is no doubt that they have both worked so hard to get to this moment and throw it all away for what I can only imagine is a dumb reason. Or no reason at all. Really curious to hear Nick's side of things.

I can definitely see where Cesar Gracie is coming from when he says Nick has a deep ingrained social anxiety disorder. He always seems extremely uncomfortable talking to people.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/07/cesar-gracie-i-cant-stick-up-for-nick-on-this-one/

Blurb from this article:

He can't sit there in front of 25 reporters, but he can do his job and fight in front of 15,000?

Like Dana said, he did not even have to say anything, he could have just sat there. I think he did that at the presser for the Shamrock fight. He has done dozens of press conferences before, but if you have an issue, tell Dana about it, just don't not show up. Dana said they blew something like 15K on plane tickets for him, two to Canada because Nick told him he definitely be on the second flight and one to Vegas. You just can't screw with your boss that way.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 05:31 PM ----------

On another note, does anyone else feel like Kos is going to murder Matt Hughes?

Absolutely. I kinda thought Hughes had a chance against Diego, but not much of one at all against Koscheck.

On another note, does anyone else feel like Kos is going to murder Matt Hughes?

If Matt Hughes has the glass jaw age seems to give fighters yes. Truth is I just don't know how good Josh is because he's never really been consistent. He has losses in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. Granted two are to GSP but who has he defeated that you can point to and say wow! Chris Lytle in 2008? Hughes should lose this fight because he has less speed and power than Kos at this point in his career... but Kos has a way of looking clueless in the ring when his game plan doesn't work out.

Edited by Destino

He can't sit there in front of 25 reporters, but he can do his job and fight in front of 15,000?

Like Dana said, he did not even have to say anything, he could have just sat there. I think he did that at the presser for the Shamrock fight. He has done dozens of press conferences before, but if you have an issue, tell Dana about it, just don't not show up. Dana said they blew something like 15K on plane tickets for him, two to Canada because Nick told him he definitely be on the second flight and one to Vegas. You just can't screw with your boss that way.

Social anxiety usually has to do with the act of socializing itself. I knew a kid who rarely said a word, but could pitch his heart out in baseball all throughout our youth. Good sized crowds, people yelling encouraging words to him, he'd light the other team up, but the kid never really spoke or looked at anybody. After he got a car, he would never show up to any of our team dinners or ceremonies after the season. Just didn't want to talk, but man, could he perform for a crowd.

You make a point that he's done Strikeforce conferences, but how low on the scale were those compared to such a magnified event as this would of been? Even then, he handled the Strikeforce conferences like everyone was out to get him. I think there's a significant distrust within himself. He gets offended at average questions, he doesn't know how to stay on subject, every other word he says is "like" or "um". The guy cannot act professional to save his life.

With all the daunting pressure that was soon to come for Nick, I can definitely see what Cesar believes to be the reason for this happening. People that depend on medication to relieve stress can sometimes over do it. It loses it's potency, you need more and more, then suddenly, you have to go without it. Your nerves stand on end, your blood pressure flies through the roof, you'll sacrifice your livelihood in order to keep yourself sane. It sounds like a cop-out, but Nick fits the description of a full-blown social headcase.

He needs a TON of therapy, point blank.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

It sounds like a cop-out, but Nick fits the description of a full-blown social headcase.

I mean, if it's something else, I don't have the answer, but it makes sense to me. He needs a TON of therapy, point blank.

I know, the thing that blows my mind is just the lying to Dana about being in Toronto and then being in Vegas. If there is a problem, it can't be fixed by running from it, and especially not by lying to your boss about agreed-upon obligations.

I just hope that Nick is honest with himself about this and gets help instead of responding to this with a ball of profanity and excuses.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/07/greg-jackson-wont-train-with-either-gsp-or-condit-in-preparatio/

One of the interesting subplots of the Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit UFC 137 main event is the fact that both fighters currently train under Greg Jackson.

MMAFighting.com spoke to Jackson shortly after the UFC announced the welterweight title fight on Wednesday to find out where his allegiances will lie come Oct. 29.

A transcript of our conversation can be found below.

Ariel Helwani: Greg, two of your star fighters are going to fight each other in October. What will do you?

Greg Jackson: Teammate protocols are pretty clear in this situation so everybody knows what happening. I step out, the other coaches -- John [Danaher], Phil [Nurse] and Firas [Zahabi] -- will take care of GSP and probably [Mike] Winkeljohn and some of the other guys here will take care of Carlos. But I step out of it, so I won't be cornering either guy. They'll fight each other. Those are the new teammate protocols. We knew this would be coming -- it will probably be coming again --but this time we are very well prepared.

Carlos trains in Albuquerque full-time, while GSP's home base is in Montreal, so how will you not offer advice when you see him in the gym?

Carlos is still training with a team. I am just not going to do game plans and private lessons and everything that I normally do for the guys because usually it's a pretty intense process -- I give them private lessons all the time -- heavy on the game planning, heavy on the personal growth plan, and for this, I'll just let the other coaches do that for both Georges and Carlos. So I'll just step out. They're all amazing coaches. Geez, I'm the worst coach on the team. They'll all do their thing.

Are you disappointed that they have to fight each other?

Nah, I mean, I don't like it. They are two of my friends. Me and Georges, I mean, I love that man to death. And Carlos has been, since he came back to the gym, has been on a destruction streak. So they both have to eat, they have to make money. I really love training, working with my guys. There's two of my favorites that I don't get to work with this time, so that's kind of a bummer. But I don't care about the money; I don't care about the fame; I don't care about any of that stuff. They've got to make a living, but I can't look across the cage at one of my guys. I just can't do it.

Will GSP come to New Mexico for this camp?

No, I don't think so. That wouldn't make much sense if Carlos was here. The team is such a well-oiled machine after so many years of being together it's not going to be a big deal.

Have they ever trained together?

Not much. I don't know if they have at all, so not much. Carlos only came back a little bit ago and Georges comes in and out, and I go up there [to Montreal]. So I don't think they have trained together at all.

I'm guessing you won't offer a prediction on the fight?

Absolutely not (laughs). Since they're both members of our team, I predict somebody from our team is going to win.

Where will you watch the fight?

I'll be there because Donald Cerrone is fighting that night, Eliot Marshall ... I got, like, four other guys. I'll be there, but hopefully I'll duck out before the main event. It's just not something I want to watch. That's their business. Sometimes brothers got to fight and it will be what it is and everything will be good again. They're both really stellar, standup guys. You know, Georges, I cannot say enough good things about him. Not only Georges St-Pierre the fighter but Georges St-Pierre as a person. That man is phenomenal and the same for Carlos Condit. Such a good guy with a good heart. They're going to have a great dust up, I hope they get Fight of the Night and then they can feed their families.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 06:38 PM ----------

Big Nog vs. Mir II @ UFC 140

Nam Phan vs. Split Decision II @ UFC 136

Edited by StillUnknown