Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'd rather see Roy Nelson for Toney. Couture is too good on the ground for him; I feel like you should let him face a can first.

Yes, I used a semi-colon in a sentence online.

Edit::

Kimbo would be the money-maker. It will draw MMA fans (except purists) for the novelty, and it will draw boxing and pop-culture fans just because of the names.

Plus, I know Kimbo is getting better, but I'll put anything down (not really) that Toney will smash Kimbo. Mercer was a lot worse off than Toney was when he stepped in.

Edited by Skin'Em84

I'd rather see Roy Nelson for Toney. Couture is too good on the ground for him; I feel like you should let him face a can first.

Yes' date=' I used a semi-colon in a sentence online.[/quote']

roy nelson is no can though. he's a legit blackbelt in brazilian jiu-jitsu, he'd probably be worse for toney than couture if went to the ground. with couture you dont really have to worry about submissions, nelson you do

roy nelson is no can though. he's a legit blackbelt in brazilian jiu-jitsu, he'd probably be worse for toney than couture if went to the ground. with couture you dont really have to worry about submissions, nelson you do

Thanks, I really never saw Roy fight, just assumed he was worse than Couture. I'd really judge it on Toney's takedown defense. Wrestlers tend to be better at takedowns than jiu-jitsu-ers(?). I'd worry about submissions with Couture just cuz of his experience, he has to have a few dirty tricks under his belt.

I like the Kimbo opening best.

Like others have said Nelson is a black belt in BJJ' date=' he's a beast on the ground, I think it would actually be a worse matchup for him than Randy.

Yes, I used a semi-colon in a sentence online.

:applause:

I have an English degree and I must say, I love seeing the semi-colon on a message board. :geek:

Plus' date=' I know Kimbo is getting better, but I'll put anything down (not really) that Toney will smash Kimbo. Mercer was a lot worse off than Toney was when he stepped in.[/quote']

Yeah if Kimbo tried to trade with him, he'd get KTFO. But if it went to the ground (and I never thought I'd type this) Kimbo might have the advantage lol.

on a sidenote, i think BJ is taking Frankie seriously, he looked about the same as he has for his last 3 fights to me :whoknows:

You know, this made me think, practically everyone didn't look as shredded as they usually do. It's probably because they were outside as opposed to being under the lights of an arena stage. I remember saying to myself, "damn BJ, forget to carry the rocks on the bottom of Hilo Bay?" I know he made weight, but to me he looked like he does when he fights at welterweight.

Yeah if Kimbo tried to trade with him, he'd get KTFO. But if it went to the ground (and I never thought I'd type this) Kimbo might have the advantage lol.

Kimbo might, but he'd have to get him to the ground. Kimbo may be more cut, but Toney is the better athlete and should pick up on the technique much faster, and I think Kimbo would have lots of trouble with him.

Plus, if you think Kimbo hits hard, wait till Toney starts dropping bombs. I am slightly biased, Toney was my favorite fighter since I found out he punched Deion Sanders.

2dj5xMeXybs

I hope they match up Toney with Big Country so he can give him the crucifix beat down and see what he has to say afterward. :ols:

Give him Roy after 2 or 3 fights. Roy will still likely win, but it'd be a much more exciting fight after Toney gets some more training and a couple of matches under his belt.

You gotta bait the fish before you hook him. (Actually, I personally hope that Toney will do great)

Two or three fights wouldn't be close to enough time to prepare a ground fighting novice for a jiu jitsu black belt. I expect Toney to get a steady diet of standup fighters. Like I said he'll probably face a few UFC noobies, and probably Kimbo, and if he wins a couple fights he might see a Cheick Kongo or Mirko Cro Cop (kickboxers without much ground game.)

If they give him Randy or Roy I'll be shocked.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Two or three fights wouldn't be close to enough time to prepare a ground fighting novice for a jiu jitsu black belt. I expect Toney to get a steady diet of standup fighters. Like I said he'll probably face a few UFC noobies, one which could include Kimbo, and if he wins a couple fights he might see a Cheick Kongo or Mirko Cro Cop (kickboxers without much ground game.)

If they give him Randy or Roy I'll be shocked.

No, it won't, but it might give him enough following to make it worth it. Like I said, I would hope Toney would win, but I seriously doubt it.

No' date=' it won't, but it might give him enough following to make it worth it. Like I said, I would hope Toney would win, but I seriously doubt it.[/quote']

Ya I hear ya. Although I think if he starts beating people and earns a shot at somebody, the words jiu jitsu and offensive wrestling will not be used to describe them. I'd be shocked to see him up against a Roy Nelson or Frank Mir any time soon. He'd have basically one chance to win at the beginning of the fight.

If he actually beat a Cheick Kongo or a Cro Cop and they had no choice but to feed him a wrestler (which by the way, is the base style of the top 3 UFC heavyweights), then yes, they should give him Randy or even Brock (if he isn't the champion anymore). Yeah, it's very hard to imagine him fighting Brock, but the UFC has been known to justify questionable fights for a little more $$$.

If Toney is successful, yes it will be surprising, but once you have no choice but to give him a wrestler, give him the biggest name possible.

By the way, I wonder if he could beat Nog at this point, lol. Sorry SU.

on a sidenote, i think BJ is taking Frankie seriously, he looked about the same as he has for his last 3 fights to me :whoknows:

You guys know what a big BJ Penn fan I am, but I'm really impressed with what I've seen from Edgar lately. I'm seeing a much tougher fight for Baby Jay than people seem to be expecting. Am I the only one who thinks Penn's going to have tough time?

You guys know what a big BJ Penn fan I am, but I'm really impressed with what I've seen from Edgar lately. I'm seeing a much tougher fight for Baby Jay than people seem to be expecting. Am I the only one who thinks Penn's going to have tough time?

Edgar was smacking Sherk around with his best stuff and didn't drop him. Sherk made Frankie look great in that fight because Sherk, for some unknown reason, didn't get away from JUST throwing hands. If I remember correctly that was one of the most fist-laden fights I've ever seen in MMA. Like a couple kicks, a few scrambles here and there, but 95% punches.

The point is, BJ throws everything and the kitchen sink to beat somebody, and his hands are much better than Sherk's. I don't see this fight going 5 rounds without BJ getting Frankie in trouble. When he gets his opponents hurt, BJ is notorious for his lion-esque pouncing. I think this fight ends early. Maybe even the first round.

UFC 112: Mismatch, picks:

Kendal Grove vs. Mark Munoz: I think Grove has the advantage standing and on the ground, doesn't matter where Munoz chooses the fight to go. I'm calling for a good ole fashion, "that was the best performance of (insert name: Kendal Grove's) career" by Joe Rogan. Grove, G&P stoppage, Round 2.

Terry Etim vs. Raphael Dos Anjos: No offense to these guys, but I'm predicting a trip to the John and refridgerator. That usually means this will be fight of the night. Etim, Split Decision.

Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie: This has the potential to have some really funny standup exchanges, but what it comes down to is if Hughes can pound on Renzo without getting subbed. I think he can; this will be vintage Hughes. Hughes, G&P TKO, round 1.

BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar: Edgar is a tough dude but he lacks stopping power, and BJ is one of the best finishers around. It would be one of the most dumbfounding instances if this fight goes the entire 5 rounds without BJ getting the guy in trouble. When BJ hurts you or is toying with you on the ground, it's almost always game over. That will happen within a 5 round span. BJ, RNC, early round 3.

Anderson Silva vs. Demian Maia: This is so clearly cut that it almost isn't worth mentioning. But for the record, Maia should be allowed to wear Lawrence Taylor's helmet and facemask. I'd be very surprised if Maia got this to the ground, and if he does I know the entire hardcore MMA fanbase will collectively stand up out of their chairs. I was pissed off about this matchup when it was first announced, and I still am. I want to see Anderson in fights that would make you second guess his chances a little more than this one. If nobody has clearly earned a title shot then put the damn thing on hold. They probably don't want their golden bull getting stuck by a Heavyweight, but as far as the fans go, I know that almost all of them would rather see him fighting somebody else tonight. Anderson Silva, KO, round 1.

Edgar was smacking Sherk around with his best stuff and didn't drop him. Sherk made Frankie look great in that fight because Sherk, for some unknown reason, didn't get away from JUST throwing hands. If I remember correctly that was one of the most fist-laden fights I've ever seen in MMA. Like a couple kicks, a few scrambles here and there, but 95% punches.

The point is, BJ throws everything and the kitchen sink to beat somebody, and his hands are much better than Sherk's. I don't see this fight going 5 rounds without BJ getting Frankie in trouble. When he gets his opponents hurt, BJ is notorious for his lion-esque pouncing. I think this fight ends early. Maybe even the first round.

You've restored my faith in Baby Jay. :)