Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Wow. I just gained and then lost a lot of respect for Aoki. What a sub.. What a tool.

pretty much sums it up

he usually breaks down crying after he wins (or loses for that matter), this time he goes to the other extreme

on another note, Dream should be ashamed for sacrificing Fujita to Overeem:

1zf5u6o.gif

Edited by StillUnknown

Great fight just booked

mmamania.com

Miguel Torres vs. Joseph Benavidez set for WEC 47, likely to determine No. 1 contender

by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Dec 31, 2009 at 10:15 am ET

World Extreme Cagefighting has set a matchup that could very well determine the next challenger for WEC featherweight champion Brian Bowles (or his upcoming opponent, Dominick Cruz).

In what should be one of the early year's top matchups, former champ Miguel Torres (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) takes on fellow contender Joseph Benavidez (11-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at WEC 47, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com.

Benavidez partially earned the fight out of necessity; due to injuries, fellow contenders Damacio Page (12-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Scott Jorgensen (8-3 MMA, 4-2 WEC) are both unlikely to be ready for the event, which takes place March 6 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

pretty much sums it up

he usually breaks down crying after he wins (or loses for that matter), this time he goes to the other extreme

on another note, Dream should be ashamed for sacrificing Fujita to Overeem:

I can't wait until Overeem fights in Strikeforce this year so he finally has to take a roids test.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Pick-Evans-vs-Silva-21806

Pros who picked Evans: 20

Pros who picked Silva: 9

Pros who could not decide: 2

I think Rashad's going to whip his ass honestly. I'm pretty excited about this fight, probably more than most people. I'm debating on buying this card, it doesn't look like a blockbuster but it does have the talent to be one of those surprisingly-great cards.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17385/spike-tv-debuts-best-of-pride-series-on-jan-15-kenda-perez-hosts.mma

A new series that features some of the top matchups from the now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships organization debuts Jan. 15 on Spike TV.

"Best of PRIDE," which features the video library the UFC's parent company acquired after its purchase of the organization in 2007, airs each Friday at 10 p.m. ET/PT with replays throughout the week.

Maxim model Kenda Perez hosts the program.

UFC president Dana White first discussed the highlights show in August, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) detailed after his pre-UFC 102 Q&A session with fans. White said the series will use a familiar format.

"It'll kind of be like 'UFC Unleashed,'" said White, referring to Spike TV's UFC-themed highlights show. "All the great PRIDE fights that happened with all the stars who are UFC guys now will be on it."

However, non-UFC fighters, including Fedor Emelianenko, are also expected to be featured.

The UFC planned to operate PRIDE Fighting Championships as a separate entity after the purchase (similar to how the UFC and WEC operate independently now under the Zuffa LLC banner) but with the promise of "mega-fights" between each organization's stars. Fans were promised Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva, Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson, and Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. However, those fights only happened after PRIDE was shut down and most of the organization's fighters were folded into the UFC.

White has long blamed the organization's previous owners for duping the UFC about PRIDE's financial stability, TV relationships and overall health of the organization. Zuffa LLC never operated a show under the PRIDE banner, and the matter will soon head to court.

However, the UFC hasn't let the brand name die completely. PRIDE merchandise, including clothing and DVDs, is now available through the UFC, and the UFC has hosted PRIDE-themed autograph sessions at various times throughout the year.

The Japanese-based PRIDE organization was once one of the world's biggest MMA promotions after its launch in 1997. Among its 68 total events, two drew more than 67,000 spectators each.

mmamania

Report: Takanori Gomi signs UFC contract

Mmamania_tiny by MMAmania.com on Jan 1, 2010 11:49 PM EST Comment 19 comments

Takanori_gomi_medium

Former Pride FC lightweight champion and promotional posterboy, Takanori Gomi, has signed a multi-fight deal to compete inside the Octagon under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner, according to MMAFighting.com.

In his heyday, "Fireball Kid" was considered perhaps the best lightweight fighter on the planet. He has struggled recently, however, losing two of his last four matches to competition that is far from elite.

Nonetheless, Gomi is a fantastic and exciting addition to the talent-rich 155-pound class, which is currently dominated by division champion, B.J. Penn. Gomi and Penn actually went toe-to-toe at "Rumble on the Rock 4" back in 2003, with "The Prodigy" coming away with a convincing submission (rear naked choke) victory.

Is a rematch on tap sometime in 2010 if Gomi can put together a few wins?

Rest assured UFC President Dana White and Co. view Gomi as an instant threat to the title ... so don't doubt it. As it stands now, no official announcement or potential debut date/opponent is known at this time.

Gomi most recently competed at Shooto: "Traditional Final" on May 10, 2009. He thoroughly dominated Shooto Welterweight Champion Takashi Nakakura from the opening bell, dropping him in the second round to record the knockout victory.

Could this impressive performance signal the rebirth of his career and be a sign of future success?

It's possible. And if it does we'll likely get to enjoy it on several upcoming UFC pay-per-view (PPV) event telecasts.

More on this breaking news as it develops.

----------

Awesome news. I know he will want another crack at BJ. He should be careful what he wishes for.

UFC 108: the injury bug is undisputed champion

prelims start on spike tv at 9pm(est)

Jim Miller vs. Duane Ludwig: Ludwig looked drained at the weigh-ins, he has a shot if he can end it early. Ludwig has the "unofficial" fastest KO in UFC history and is deadly with his hands, Miller should be able to get him grounded and tap him in short order

Miller by Submission, Round 1

Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout: Lauzon has been out for awhile so cage rust might play a factor. Stout is a perennial gatekeeper at this point of his career. standing stout will have an edge, but i dont think he'll keep it standing. Lauzon is the much better grappler and will show it in the fight

Lauzon by Submission, Round 2

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gilbert Yvel: Yvel's lost a little bit of technique over the years but he's still dangerous than most HW's standing. JDS showed a good striking game against a timid CroCop. it'll be interesting to see how he does against someone who wont hesitate. JDS has looked better and better with every fight, and i expect him to survive an early scare from Yvel and win an entertaining fight

Dos Santos by Unanimous Decision

Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett: Daley came in 172 and the commission wouldn't let him drop the extra 1lb because they didnt think he was healthy enough to do so. Hazelett hasnt fought in a long time due to a torn ACL. Daley looked pretty drained at the weigh-ins if he doesn't end it early, i think he gasses. Hazelett will want to do anything in his power to get this to the ground ASAP. Hazelett will get cracked, but will recover his bearings enough to twist Daleys arm forcing him to tap

Hazelett by Submission, Round 2

Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva: when i look at this matchup, i see rashad as having more tools in his arsenal, provided that he remember that he is a wrestler. Thiago's aggressiveness could backfire against rashad's speed and ability to counter. Rashad has shown a pretty good chin, so he thiago will have to work a bit harder than he did against Jardine. Thiago's gas tank remains a mystery, i cant recall seeing him in the 2nd round at all. i think that may play a factor. Rashad will test the waters standing for awhile, then go back to his wrestling and finish with ground n pound.

Rashad Evans by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Watching MMA Live. They talked about Brock maybe never fighting again and Mir starts talking about how if Brock doesn't get better he (Mir) would be devastated and have to rethink his whole career because everything he is doing know is to fight Brock again. Every time Brock comes up around Frank he turns into talking about himself. Isn't health of the man for the sake of himself and his family a little more important? Frank is a total douche.

UFC 108: Sopcast or Die, picks:

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gilbert Yvel: Gilbert, TKO (ref [stompage]) round 1. C'mon, somebody had to say it. Watch out for the perceived upset here. Yvel, KO, round 2.

Jim Miller vs. Duane Ludwig: Ludwigs are great drum sets. They are explosive, durable and have drilled something like, say, a sneaky left hook all camp long. TKO Ludwig, round 2.

Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout: Once again you should pick the opposite of what I say. Feeling way too confident. Lauzon, triangle, round 2.

Dustin Hazelett vs. Paul Daley: One of those fights again. Hazelett gets it down and subs him, round 1.

Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva: Thiago has those bad intentions that almost remind you of a younger Wandy, but he simply isn't as explosive. Rashad is, and he's developed great quickness and head movement over the past couple years. Hard to see him losing this. Evans, another huge KO, round 3.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 108: These guys aren't hurt (yet)!

prelims start on spike tv at 9pm(est)

Jim Miller vs. Duane Ludwig: Ludwig has lost his bang.

Miller by Submission, Round 1

Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout: I really like both these guys. I think the Joe's rust will keep the fight standing long enough to get KTFO

Stout by KO, round 2

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gilbert Yvel: Should be a great fight. Both guys looking for the KO at all times. The Dos Santos train keeps rolling

Dos Santos by KO, round 1

Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett: At some point Hazelett will get Daley down.

Hazelett by Submission, Round 2

Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva: Thiago hasn't fought anyone besides Machida on Evans' level. He also didn't look that great against Jaardine until he landed that shot. Evans is looking for a huge year with this fight, Rampage, and Machida on his dance card if he keeps winning. I think he makes it to Machida.

Rashad Evans by KO, 3rd Round