Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Hey guys, I've been out for a while due to computer pro'lems, but I have some input as to the Shogun win. Ahem, :)

Hopefully this doesn't ruffle the feathers again, but I thought Shogun won every round. I definitely must see the second round again, without a doubt. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to watch the fight again for some time. However, I couldn't hear the commentators while watching the original broadcast, and I certainly understood how people could overlook Shogun's quick answers after Machida's attacks.

For every combo thrown by Machida, Shogun answered with a leg kick from Rio de Janeiro, or simply cleaner punches. Same goes with body kicks. To me, if you throw a slick yet hardly damaging combo and proceed to get slammed with a leg kick that causes visible damage, the leg kick wins the exchange. I'm of the opinion that this sport should be judged by the person who causes the most chaos within each round.

Citing overall stats in the grand scheme of a fight has a big fundamental flaw: Fights are judged on a round by round basis. If (Fighter A) lands 40 shots in one round against (Fighter B's) 20 shots, Fighter A wins the round. Then, if Fighter A proceeds to land 2 relative punches against Fighter B's 3 relative punches in the next round - the fight is a tie. Boring, but you get the point.

Fighter A clearly won the first round and barely lost the second. Nonetheless, the fight is a tie. 43 shots to 22 shots does not tell the entire story. It's a new fight every round. Even if Fighter (B) looks like he went through the meat grinder, if he didn't get planted or completely handled within either of those rounds - the fight is a tie.

If someone lands 20 strikes and gets planted with simply 1 punch, he could hypothetically lose the round 10-8.

That all said, I thought Shogun dominated the octagon the entire fight, which is completely overlooked nowadays. They shouldn't even mention it in the way judges score the bout. Shogun won the clinches, Shogun took him down, and I also remember Machida hitting gloves all night. Shogun's boxing defense was super-smooth. He was never thrown off his game, while Machida looked startled and unsure of himself. His footwork seemed to lack the spring it usually does.

The notion that "to be the champ you have to beat the champ" has taken way too much of a meaning. In the first place, the champ is the champ because he's (in most cases) the absolute pinnacle of the talent in the world. You're telling me that you can't only be a little better than the best fighter in the world - you have to beat the crap out of him? That's like saying that you're not allowed to beat the Steelers by 3 or beat the Penguins in 7. You have to beat them by 14 or win in 5 to become champ. A win is a win, score it like any other fight. The belt shouldn't bring along any more pressure to the challenger (of all people) than it already does. The last thing I want to see is a champion getting a handicap.

With this all said, I will watch the fight again soon enough. I still think if that fight was held in a gym with just me watching it - I would have told Shogun he won.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://www.mmaweekly.com/blog/2009/10/mma-stars-share-their-halloween.asp

All Hallow's Eve is around the corner, and MMAInsider got the lowdown on the costume plans of today's MMA stars:

Pat Barry: "The plan was to paint myself blue and wear a white diaper and go as Heafty Smurf, but this cast on my arm is putting a damper on that!"

Ryan Bader: "Just a Werewolf, I retired from crazy group costumes."

Rich Clementi: "I'm Anthony Johnson trying to be a 170 pounder."

Tim Credeur: White Trash

Roli Delgado: Mexican Luchador

Evan Dunham: Not dressing up

Jake Ellenberger: Barney Rubble

Efrain Escudero: "Like the Silver Man" (whatever that means)

Leonard Garcia: The Skeletons from the Karate Kid

Clay Guida: As always, The Dude, Jeffrey Lebowski

Dennis Hallman: A Cowboy that knows Karate.

Dustin Hazelett: "I'm going as Charlie from 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' when he goes America all over everyone's ass."

Jay Hieron: A Zombie

"Diamond" Dave Kaplan: Mad Max

Brock Larson: "I'm going to be Popeye and the wife is going to be Olive Oil."

Joe Lauzon: Mickey Mouse

Muhammed "Mo" Lawal: Boxer

Rory Markham: "Me and my brother-in-law Rick are dressing up as my cornermen...this way we both don't have to do much."

"Razor" Rob McCullough: Britney Spears

Phillipe Nover: "I'm going to be Luigi and my girlfriend is gonna be Mario."

Seth Petruzelli: "Papa Smurf! Blue penis and all!"

Benji Radach: "I'm just going to show up hung over. It's the perfect zombie outfit!"

Joe Riggs: "A giant dick with 2 nuts by my hips."

Ben Rothwell: "Not sure. Maybe an undead Samurai or maybe just a big *******, which I wouldn't have to spend much money on a costume."

Eric "Red" Schafer: Aquaman

Jake Shields: "It's close to my fight so I'm gonna skip it."

Rory Singer: "Just going out lookin' like a stud. No costume necessary."

Scott Smith: "A female bodyguard! I have a fake bush coming out between my legs and big ol' tits!"

Jeremy Stephens: Hermes Franca!

Nick Thompson: Tobias from Arrested Development.

Josh Thomson: "I dress up as Jason and sit on a bench in front of my door with a bowl of candy for all the kids brave enough to grab some."

Brandon Vera: "Nada. Gonna go downtown and people watch."

Mike Wessel: "Matt Mittrione or a douche."

Kaitlin Young: Octo-mom

Edited by StillUnknown

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort not happening on Jan. 2nd

While the recovery from a recent elbow surgery is going just fine for UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva, Jan. 2 will simply be too soon for him to return to action.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today spoke with Silva's manager, Ed Soares, who issued the update on "The Spider."

"The latest is he's not fighting Jan. 2," Soares said. "That's not going to happen. He won't be ready."

Silva recently had bone spurs removed from his right elbow, and the rehabilitation necessary following the procedure means Silva won't be ready to defend his title in a proposed UFC 108 matchup with Vitor Belfort.

As for when Silva will be ready to fight again, Soares said nothing is yet certain.

"We have to wait and see," Soares said. "Anderson went back to Brazil, and he's continuing his physical therapy there. But there's no set date yet."

But Soares insisted the progress was ahead-of-schedule, and Silva fans have no cause for concern.

"Anderson's recovery is going really, really well," Soares said. "He's coming back, and his recovery is doing really good. His physical therapy is going really well. He's getting better range of motion. He'll be back 100 percent for sure."

While he's not sure exactly when Silva will again step into the octagon, Soares assumes Belfort will still be the opponent on the opposite side of cage.

"I think it's going to be Vitor when Anderson comes back," Soares said. "That's what I'm assuming."

And though Soares has openly questioned the UFC's decision to grant Belfort a middleweight title shot despite the fact that he has yet to fight in the organization at 185 pounds, Silva's manager said he and his fighter are now looking forward to the test.

"At the end of the day, it's going to be a great fight," Soares said. "Like I said before, I don't think [belfort] deserves a title shot, but that's over with now. It is what it is.

"Whoever the UFC puts in front of us, we'll fight. We've never picked our opponents."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16688/report-houston-alexander-vs-kimbo-slice-set-for-catchweight-bout-at-tuf-10-finale.mma

Kimbo vs. Houston Alexander at the TUF 10 finale. it will be a fought at a catchweight of 215lbs

I saw that. I guess that means Kimbo doesn't make it back on due to injury and advance t the finals. I'd rather see Kimbo vs a real heavyweight instead of one of the smallest 205'ers in the UFC.

The notion that "to be the champ you have to beat the champ" has taken way too much of a meaning. In the first place, the champ is the champ because he's (in most cases) the absolute pinnacle of the talent in the world. You're telling me that you can't only be a little better than the best fighter in the world - you have to beat the crap out of him? That's like saying that you're not allowed to beat the Steelers by 3 or beat the Penguins in 7. You have to beat them by 14 or win in 5 to become champ. A win is a win, score it like any other fight. The belt shouldn't bring along any more pressure to the challenger (of all people) than it already does. The last thing I want to see is a champion getting a handicap.

I think a lot of ya'll get too wrapped around the literal aspect of this saying. I don't think the statement is intended to mean the champ has to get knocked out to lose. What it means, at least the way I interpret it, is that in a close fight, or a close exchange the nod is given to the champ. Like I said before, no one want to take the belt from a champion on a really close fight unless it's cut and dry. Again, like I stated earlier it's kind of like Kobe's extra little step going to the basket. It gets called on almost everyone but Kobe is Kobe so he gets the pass. Not saing it's right, but it is what it is.

Of course as you can see in my posts I think Machida won so I don't agree with your take on the fight. Just like you say Shogun landed a leg kick after every one of Machida's combos, well how do you score that? A leg kick scores more highly than a combo to the face? I think at this point your comparing apples to oranges.

I think it was a real tough fight to score and it could have went either way but Machida did enough early on to win the fight. Score the fight on the last two rounds and Rua wins hands down. He should have started the fight the same way.

I think a lot of ya'll get too wrapped around the literal aspect of this saying. I don't think the statement is intended to mean the champ has to get knocked out to lose. What it means, at least the way I interpret it, is that in a close fight, or a close exchange the nod is given to the champ.

I guess that's why they have a champion after all. If you become champ, that's the perk.

I saw that. I guess that means Kimbo doesn't make it back on due to injury and advance t the finals. I'd rather see Kimbo vs a real heavyweight instead of one of the smallest 205'ers in the UFC.

Kimbo still has a really good chance to lose this fight anyway. Both Houston and Kimbo suck on the ground so the fighter with the better standup is going to win. Kimbo can KO anyone at anytime, he just has to avoid being tagged first. But Houston is probably going to be more technically sound so I see him winning it. Not unless Kimbo shows up at 230ish and takes Houston down for some g n p. But me winning the lottery is more likely.

I definitely like Rogers, I just like Fedor better lol. You're right though he does have the puncher's chance, he's got some of the hardest strikes in the HW division.

After watching that thing on Showtime, why aren't people up in arms that Fedor said fighting is just a job, and not his passion? Didn't Brock get lambasted by other fighters for potentially feeling the same way? ;)

Also, it's amazing how humble Fedor is. He actually sounds like he expects to lose in the near future. I suppose if Rogers connects it could be lights out, but I just don't think Fedor's camp is as stupid as Arlovski's....

Also, it's amazing how humble Fedor is. He actually sounds like he expects to lose in the near future. I suppose if Rogers connects it could be lights out, but I just don't think Fedor's camp is as stupid as Arlovski's....

I don't know but ever since Fujita, I get nervous everytime Fedor fights someone with good one-punch power.

I don't know but ever since Fujita, I get nervous everytime Fedor fights someone with good one-punch power.

I'm still trying to figure out how Arlovski looked SO good against Fedor right before he pulled the biggest boner move of his career. That was the fight that made me think Fedor is going to lose in the near future. Of course it's impossible to feel confident picking anyone over Fedor these days, but I do think that Roger's punching power AND the fact that he's well-experienced in a cage will help him in this fight. I don't know why, but it does seem to take these ring fighters a bit to get used to cage fighting.

I'm still trying to figure out how Arlovski looked SO good against Fedor right before he pulled the biggest boner move of his career.

Honestly, Fedor was getting beaten in that fight (granted three minutes is not very long). Arlovski looked phenominal and was doing damage to Fedor before going for that stupid knee. That is the best Arlovski has ever looked IMO, and I do not think he has, or maybe ever will recover from that loss.

Who knows how that fight would have progressed without that knee attempt, but I think you have to give a lot of credit to Arlovski. I think he was really ready for that fight and just made a dumb mistake. But you also have to credit Fedor. He has shown before that he can take a lot of damage and still pull out a W.

I give Rogers a chance here, but I am waffling on how big of one. I don't think you can compare their fights against Arlovski, that was a different Andrei that Rogers fought. But there is no denying that Rogers has huge punching power. I don't know how good his takedown defense is however. Rogers is the bigger fighter, but that does not mean that Fedor can not take him down.

I also wonder about Rogers' boxing defense. If I remember correctly, Rogers took some shots from Humphrey two fights ago. I am sure he has worked on that and gotten better, but a punch from Fedor is a lot more dangerous than anything he has faced before.

I actually have a weird feeling about this fight. Rogers fought a smart (albeit short) fight against Arlovski, not pushing the action and waiting for an opening. You have to be patient and pick your spots against Fedor...like Arlovski was. Don't rush him and leave yourself open...like Arlovski did.

I am sure not picking Rogers, but I am not going to be completely shocked if he wins.

Edited by lovetoaster

I actually have a weird feeling about this Fedor fight too. I think it's a combination of Arlovski pushing him around a little before the ktfo and the fact that he doesn't have the cage experience that Rogers does.

But who knows, Anderson Silva made a pretty smooth transition back to the cage lol.

i'm not feeling any weirdness about this fight. it would be different if Rogers were technical with his striking, as arlovski is.

fedor had trouble with Arlovski mainly because of AA's speed, which is something that Rogers just does not possess. Arlovski was a threat with all limbs, i can count on my fingers how many kicks i've seen Rogers throw. add to the fact that Rogers has some defensive liabilities of his own, i think it will be a relatively easy night for Fedor

of course one well placed punch from Rogers could change everything in an instant, but outside of that "one punch possibility", i just dont see how he wins this fight

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9925&zoneid=2

Just when the situation couldn’t get any worse... it did.

When Brock Lesnar pulled out of UFC 106 due to illness, most everyone hoped that he had a severe case of influenza and would recover in time to defend his title against Shane Carwin at UFC 108 on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas.

The UFC even issued Lesnar and Carwin new bout agreements for UFC 108.

Carwin will still get his shot, but the latest news on Lesnar, that he has mononucleosis, will push it back even further, to an uncertain date.

“Guys, my manager, Jason Genet, just told me that UFC 108 is not happening. Brock has mono and what the UFC has told me is that I have earned the title shot, but I have to wait for the titleholder,” Carwin wrote in the blog on his official website Wednesday night.

UFC president Dana White later confirmed Lesnar’s diagnosis to Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, indicating that the UFC heavyweight champion would be unable to train for the next four to six weeks, effectively scrapping any chance at a Jan. 2 date.

The title bout is still uncertain until Lesnar’s health improves.

“Our role now is to wait,” Genet told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday night.

With middleweight champion Anderson Silva and light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida on injured reserve, lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn booked for UFC 107, and welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre just getting back into the swing of training, that leaves UFC 108 with no main event and tickets going on sale in little more than a week.

Earlier on Wednesday, MMAWeekly.com reported that a heavyweight bout between former UFC interim champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cane Velasquez was in the works for UFC 108. With this latest update on Lesnar’s health, the pressure may increase to make that fight happen

I'm still trying to figure out how Arlovski looked SO good against Fedor right before he pulled the biggest boner move of his career. That was the fight that made me think Fedor is going to lose in the near future. Of course it's impossible to feel confident picking anyone over Fedor these days, but I do think that Roger's punching power AND the fact that he's well-experienced in a cage will help him in this fight. I don't know why, but it does seem to take these ring fighters a bit to get used to cage fighting.
I actually have a weird feeling about this Fedor fight too. I think it's a combination of Arlovski pushing him around a little before the ktfo and the fact that he doesn't have the cage experience that Rogers does.

We are so on the same page.