Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I must have watched a different fight. Except for the second round Belcher controlled the fight and did twice the damage as Akiyama. Not to mention the fact he inflicted no damage once he got Belcher on the ground. I admit the fight was close but no way did Akiyama win that fight.

Maybe I was wearing rose colored glasses because my wife is friends with his wife and I really wanted him to win but I rewatched and still think Belcher dominated the fight in striking, leg kicks and kicks in general. Akiyama needed to do way more damage than he did once he took Belcher down but just didn't pull it off.

I have to agree. Belcher did more damage standing. Thought the takedowns could potentially help Akiyama, but he didn't really mount an effective G&P at all against Belcher. Must say I was shocked at the outcome.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I have to agree. Belcher did more damage standing. Thought the takedowns could potentially help Akiyama, but he didn't really mount an effective G&P at all against Belcher. Must say I was shocked at the outcome.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

I would say he was robbed by the simple fact that one judge scored it 30/27 against him. Who in their right mind could watch that fight and give all three rounds to Akiyama? That should easily show how skewed the judging was.

All good fights for him. Kid almost reminds me of Rich Franklin or Denis Kang with how well-spoken he is. Hard to root against fighters with that level of modesty.

in a different interview before UFC 100, he said was still getting bigger and will probably end up at HW by the time he's 24 or 25

he said something like once he gets to 230, he's going to stop cutting weight and stay at HW

at 6'4 he could probably pack on some muscle

he has the genes for it as well, 2 of his brothers play d-line for Syracuse. one is expect to be late 1st or early 2nd round draft pick next year

Edited by StillUnknown

Count me on the Joe Rogan side (again). And I picked Akiyama. Akiyama didn't dish out nearly the amount of damage Belcher did.

Edited by Sebowski

Count me on the Joe Rogan side (again). And I picked Akiyama. Akiyama didn't dish out nearly the amount of damage Belcher did.

I was beginning to think I watched a different fight than most here on ES, glad you and doublestroke saw the same fight as me.

I was beginning to think I watched a different fight than most here on ES, glad you and doublestroke saw the same fight as me.

No, we are all watching the same exact fight, but different tecniques mean different thiings to us and to the judges. The think the guys were fairly even on their feet,, but Akiyama was able to be the one in charge of the take-downs, that was the difference. That why I scored Akiyama 29/28 (ther person who went with the 30/27) was undoubetdley smoking crack.

Edited by Special K

I am pissed that I am going to miss that. I will be in Chicago at a concert, so I will have to hope my DVR actually works, stay away from the internet and wait until Monday to see it.

I am going to miss the crowning of the inaugural Strikeforce welterweight champion:

nick-diaz-dream.jpg

diaz-nick.jpg

:D

Fixed that for you. :evilg:

I can't believe I am still undefeated in UFC Undisputed against all ES'ers.

Alright, I believe it. :silly:

Dude, sorry. I see you on all the time but I just don't play Undisputed. It lags like hell and feels like it takes forever to get a match going. Perhaps when I lay off the crack cocaine that is Call of Duty 4 I'll give it another stab.

Fixed that for you. :evilg:

I figured that would ruffle some feathers. :D

I am pulling for Riggs, but I would not bet on it. I have always liked Joe, and I am not a huge fan of the Diaz brothers.

I am sure Diaz is going to be a massive favorite.

Edited by lovetoaster

I figured that would ruffle some feathers. :D

I am pulling for Riggs, but I would not bet on it. I have always liked Joe, and I am not a huge fan of the Diaz brothers.

I am sure Diaz is going to be a massive favorite.

Diaz probably will be the favorite but he'd better respect Riggs' KO power. This is another dangerous fight for Diaz IMO, just like the Scott Smith fight. He handled Smith pretty well but I get uneasy watching him drop his hands against guys with KO power like that.

Diaz probably will be the favorite but he'd better respect Riggs' KO power. This is another dangerous fight for Diaz IMO, just like the Scott Smith fight. He handled Smith pretty well but I get uneasy watching him drop his hands against guys with KO power like that.

Smith disappoints me sometimes. He could be an excellent fighter, but he does not fight smart sometimes. Body punches are his weakness, yet he exposes himself to them every time. Get him in the body a few times, he will stop protecting his head. Fight over...unless he pulls out a stunnign KO, as he has done a few times. But fighters know that weakness is there and they will exploit it.

Smith disappoints me sometimes. He could be an excellent fighter, but he does not fight smart sometimes. Body punches are his weakness, yet he exposes himself to them every time. Get him in the body a few times, he will stop protecting his head. Fight over...unless he pulls out a stunnign KO, as he has done a few times. But fighters know that weakness is there and they will exploit it.

Yep I agree. That's why Smith will always be just slightly above average. It's a shame too because his weaknesses could be fixed, it's not like he has Arlovski's chin or no pain tolerance or something that can't be fixed.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15514/mike-brown-next-defends-wec-featherweight-title-against-jose-aldo-in-november-at-wec-45.mma

Following a second victory over Urijah Faber in his most recent title defense, WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown (22-4 MMA, 4-0 WEC) will next meet challenger Jose Aldo (15-1 MMA, 5-0 WEC) at WEC 45.

On Tuesday InTheGuard.tv first reported that Aldo had signed on for the bout.

WEC officials declined to comment on the title fight when contacted by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), but a source close to Brown and American Top Team confirmed the title fight with Aldo on Wednesday.

Although not officially announced, WEC 45 is expected to take place Nov. 11 at a location to be determined, though the show is unlikely to take place in the organization's Las Vegas home.

The 33-year-old Brown first joined the WEC last summer and defeated Jeff Curran to earn a title shot. After defeating longtime champ Faber via stunning first-round TKO, Brown nmade his first title defense with a submission victory over Leonard Garcia. The victory set up the biggest event in WEC history, Brown vs. Faber II last month, when Brown again defeated the former champ, this time via unanimous decision.

Brown will put his 10-fight win streak on the line when he meets Aldo.

The Nova Uniao fighter most recently defeated Cub Swanson to post his fifth consecutive WEC victory. The Brazilian has kept a busy scheduling, winning all five WEC bouts in just a 12-month span. His eight-fight win streak includes five consecutive victories, all of which have come via knockout under the WEC umbrella.

i like Brown and respect his game, but Aldo has entered my top 5 favorite fighters to watch. i hope he wins

No, we are all watching the same exact fight, but different tecniques mean different thiings to us and to the judges. The think the guys were fairly even on their feet,, but Akiyama was able to be the one in charge of the take-downs, that was the difference. That why I scored Akiyama 29/28 (ther person who went with the 30/27) was undoubetdley smoking crack.

No, I'm not an MMA idiot. I understand technique and how point are scored.

Belcher was more active and landed more punches that did more damage. Takedowns are important but outside the second round the few takedowns Akiyama had he did no damage, no sub attempts or anything to give him the round. He took Alan down in the third and did nothing not to mention the takedown was towards the end of the round and Belcher got back up.

First round was close but Belcher still did more damage with huge leg kicks and kicks to the body while landing more strikes. I just don't see how you can score a couple "lay and prays" over consistent strikes and kicks that kept Akiyama rocked the entire fight.

Irregardless, Aikyama is another Japanese fighter who didn't live up to the hype.

We can argue about the Akiyama/Belcher decision for months, but that is not going to change the result. Every time there is a close decision, there are people on both sides of the fence. MMA is difficult to score because people see different things and account for them differently.

That is why it is best to not leave it in the judges hands.