Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Thanks for the welcoming.

I just don't see Betts as a clear cut every down back. He's a great change of pace back. And I will give you that is a MUCH better receiver out of the back field. But in no way is he half the blocker or downfield runner that Portis is. That's a topic for another thread though.

There is NO way that GSP could handle Lesnar. He would literally be thrown around like a rag doll. And I don't think his arms are big enough to get around Brock's neck to apply the RNC. Brock would stuff all his takedowns, and would proceed to use his massive size to crush GSP.

As far as people that could beat Lesnar, as doublestroke and SU pointed out, Carwin and Velasquez. Both are within 20 pounds of Lesnar and up and coming in the UFC. So Brock may have the title for a bit longer, but I see Carwin making a big push for it. And remember that Velasquez is only 27 so he still has a long future ahead of him.

1. You don't even want your star RB blocking. Blocking is the least important thing a RB does. When your star RB is blocking, he is neither running nor receiving. Did anyone want Barry Sanders blocking? No. Does anyone want AD blocking? No. Do we want CP blocking? No. No difference. That makes Betts the better receiver, and Portis likely the better runner. But not worth what we could have with 80% of his salary. Like Boldin, and a real passing game.

2. Carwin isn't a bad suggestion, but would also be a huge underdog against Lesnar. The problem with beating Brock right now, is that he is still unpolished in many areas of MMA. He is training on those other areas daily. A year from now, he will be nearly impossible to beat, so you would have to line up a superior technical fighter quickly, and pray that he can pull an upset. Not a few years from now. GSP vs Brock soon, would at least be very exciting.

Edited by McD5

OMG, seriously, please stop. You are making yourself look more and more ridiculous by the post, if that's even possible these days.

Maybe you watched UFC 1, lots of us have. But you clearly don't follow NCAA wrestling, or you would not even be calling him a fake wrestler. Calling him a "fake" wrestler clearly displays your extreme ignorance on this topic.

I am familiar with NCAA wrestling, and Brock's background.

And other famous WWE wrestlers, and their former NCAA backgrounds.

Even as far back as guys like Bob Backlund. Kurt Angle is another, more recent example.

I was referring to his work in the WWF/WWE. Should have been pretty clear to understand.

Edited by McD5

McD5 - Because I'm in a delightful mood and am choosing to give you one serious answer on this topic, Fedor could beat Lesnar. That's one of the only ones I can think of. I hope they start working on possibly getting this fight together after Fedor's next fight, but we'll see. I can see Dana actively going for that. Whether it happens or not, who knows. But that's someone who could beat Lesnar, or at least give him a serious run for his money.

Really Katie, think before posting next time. ;)
Well, when he gets back beavis.

McD- It would be cruel and unnecessary. Not sure why you're saying this.

I just don't want to see his next three fights to be against guys that are big physically, but have no chance.

Like Sylvia, for example.

If I had my choice of opponents for him, of course, Fedor would be number 1.

If that doesn't get signed anytime soon.....I would love to see a faster, lighter guy who may have a chance. That's all.

Not who I was thinking of...

I don't see Carwin or Cain beating Brock any time soon. Dana White needs to work hard on finding someone that can beat him and promoting the crap out of that fight. Fedor would be great if he could get him.

Think about the marketing, the hated Lesnar (who also happens to have quite a large fanbase as well) takes on the hero figure and consensus p4p top fighter in the business Fedor.

Ratings would be absolutely stupid for that fight. The undercard could feature circus clowns versus turd throwing monkeys and that pay-per-view would sell.

Barnett, Yvel, Aleks, Fedor, Overeem, Brett Rogers, Antonio Silva, even bringing back Werdum. One can dream, but I'd be surprised if any of those fighters are signed in the future.

None of your posts ever have any semblance of rationality...so no, that wouldn't be "clear to understand" coming from one of your posts.

I was referring to WWE wrestlers of course.

Not real, collegiate wrestlers like Dan Severn. Or Olympic stars like Kurt Angle.

I will try to make it more clear next time.

Don't take this as a knock on Lesnar, but I'm still not ready to give Brock a P4P or even a dynastic reign. He's still a newb and he hasn't faced a real great striker yet. It's a crazy sport that turns on a fighter in one round or less. Silva, GSP, and especially Fedor had to beat a lot of really big talent before they engraved their names in the imaginary P4P plaque. Maybe Seth Petrucelli will get a fill-in spot against Brock one day. :)

Don't take this as a knock on Lesnar, but I'm still not ready to give Brock a P4P or even a dynastic reign. He's still a newb and he hasn't faced a real great striker yet. It's a crazy sport that turns on a fighter in one round or less. Silva, GSP, and especially Fedor had to beat a lot of really big talent before they engraved their names in the imaginary P4P plaque. Maybe Seth Petrucelli will get a fill-in spot against Brock one day. :)

i don't think brock is anywhere close to p4p, but i can see him holding that belt for a while. unless Dana changes on the "no compete" clause in the contracts, Fedor won't be coming to the UFC. he loves Sambo as much as MMA, and since Sambo is so important in Russia, he considers it his national duty to compete.

Me thinks McD5 is into public executions :laugh:

i'm startin to think GSP cut McD5 off in traffic or something.

seriously McD5, what has GSP done to you that was so offensive you wish to see him dismembered in a public fashion?

i don't think brock is anywhere close to p4p, but i can see him holding that belt for a while. unless Dana changes on the "no compete" clause in the contracts, Fedor won't be coming to the UFC. he loves Sambo as much as MMA, and since Sambo is so important in Russia, he considers it his national duty to compete.

i'm startin to think GSP cut McD5 off in traffic or something.

seriously McD5, what has GSP done to you that was so offensive you wish to see him dismembered in a public fashion?

:hysterical:GSP is my favorite fighter. Has been for a few years now. I just think it would be exciting. I don't wish any ill upon him.

On a separate note, I still find it a little hard to believe that Brock couldn't even make the Minnesota Vikings practice squad.

I am glad now that he didn't, so we can see him in the UFC.

But imagine Brock playing middle linebacker. My God, he would have ****ed some people up!

And the handoff goes to Westbrook.....he cuts inside....and OH! Brock Lesnar just cripples him immediately.

Edited by McD5

:hysterical:GSP is my favorite fighter. Has been for a few years now. I just think it would be exciting. I don't wish any ill upon him.

On a separate note, I still find it a little hard to believe that Brock couldn't even make the Minnesota Vikings practice squad.

I am glad now that he didn't, so we can see him in the UFC.

But imagine Brock playing middle linebacker. My God, he would have ****ed some people up!

And the handoff goes to Westbrook.....he cuts inside....and OH! Brock Lesnar just cripples him immediately.

they wanted him to go to NFL Europe at the time, but he didn't want to travel (which is why he quit the WWE)

he wouldn't be playing linebacker anyway, he'd be on the d-line

they wanted him to go to NFL Europe at the time, but he didn't want to travel (which is why he quit the WWE)

he wouldn't be playing linebacker anyway, he'd be on the d-line

I would have loved to have seen it. At least for one season.

Lesnar did not impress the Vikings coaches at all -- they were talking about it just yesterday on Sirius. He's a crazy physical specimen, but he never played football before and couldn't get a hang of even the basics apparently. Football technique, ability to get down low, etc... he was light years behind the curve according to those who saw him in camp. Practice squad guys were pushing him back.

And think about this: at his current size, he wouldn't even be all that big of a NFL defensive linemen, which shows you how nuts the NFL game is today.

Lesnar did not impress the Vikings coaches at all -- they were talking about it just yesterday on Sirius. He's a crazy physical specimen, but he never played football before and couldn't get a hang of even the basics apparently. Football technique, ability to get down low, etc... he was light years behind the curve according to those who saw him in camp. Practice squad guys were pushing him back.

And think about this: at his current size, he wouldn't even be all that big of a NFL defensive linemen, which shows you how nuts the NFL game is today.

its impressive because he never played a day of collegiate ball. usually guys with 0 experience wont even merit an invitation to training camp

Oh, I don't think that's a knock on Lesnar,he definitely still has a lot of work to do to cement himself atop the pinnacle of this sport. And I wouldn't say he's near the best P4P either, not even close.

:hysterical:GSP is my favorite fighter.

Well, at least that we can agree on. GSP is one of my all-time favorite UFC fighters. The guy is simply amazing.

its impressive because he never played a day of collegiate ball. usually guys with 0 experience wont even merit an invitation to training camp

True.

Except for the five basketball players a year who get invites.

Antonio Gates never played a down of college football I believe.

That is crazy.

Agreed. I would put him at MLB.

That way he wouldn't have to really cover any receivers, and he could just bring the heat against any RB unfortunate enough to make it past the line.

I would have also enjoyed seeing Lesnar crush Tony Homo on an uncontested sack.

Edited by McD5

He was trying out as a DE not an interior lineman. I think I heard he walks around at about 280-285 so it would be easy to imagine if he trained to be a DE he could add on 5-10 pounds easy. 290-295 DE is pretty freaking huge if you are talking about a 4-3 DE. Most are playing under 270. I think I also heard Jason Taylor was at around 240-245 last year.

Somebody asked me about comparing Brock to Mike Tyson and they couldn't understand the point i was trying to make.

I'll try to elabroate some:

Mike started out training hard and had a love for boxing. He was knocking everybody out. But he also had great technique and was a great technician. In his early fights, he didn't go headhunting. The knockouts just happened. Mike had great defensive ability and his strength and conditioning were next to none.

As Mike started tasting the money, he relied less and less on boxing technique. Cus died, he fired Kevin Rooney, and just kind of coasted through his later fights pre-prison. He was loading up for the KO punch and not throwing combinations, not even training hard.

He didn't train at all for Buster Douglas who he and everyone else considered just another victim. Douglas outworked him for 10 rounds and then knocked him out...After that Tyson was never the same fighter. He still fought and knocked guys out, but he was shot as a fighter. He won because guys were scared of him and beat themselves mentally.

BROCK will be the same way if he isn't careful. He may feel like his size will get him by, and he wont have to train or take opponents seriously. He will get caught sometime soon by a good fighter who isn't afraid. Brock's chin has never been tested. For all we know he can't take a shot, and once that's shown, everybody will know his weakness....