Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I ****ing hate Lesnar. He's just a big dumb animal. Hopefully there will be a 3rd fight and Mir pulls a Silvia on him.

GSP is definitely in the p4p discussion. Hopefully he and Silva will fight soon, that matchup would be EPIC.

I won $50 on Hendo last night. Easiest $50 ever.

Im still pissed they didnt show the Fitch fight. :wtf:

Well I just got up after drinking a whole lot of alcohol last night. Damn good card. I am very much a "respect your opponent" kind of person, so Brock will never be a favorite in my book. However, there is no denying that he is a monster and could be HW champ for a while. I'd love to see a Fedor fight with him, that would be a dream matchup right now. I'd like to see Brock fight Carwin right now. He's the only one that I think can stun him enough to knock him down, although I think Mir stunned him with that knee, but ended up with Lesnar on top of him and it gave him time to recover.

I was SOOOOOOOOO happy to see Bisping get KTFO by Hendo. My girl and I saw it coming in the middle of the 1st round. He started circling to his left and we both said that if he kept doing it it would be a matter of time before Hendo connected it.

I agree that there is not much competition left in the WW division for GSP. I imagine he'll stay there for another year or so until they can time a fight with Silva. It will probably be the last fight on Silva's contract provided he stays undefeated in the UFC.

Edited by Opiate-Zeo

I think Lesnar would straight ***** Fedor. I'd leave him out of the p4p argument.

:rotflmao:

That's just laughable dude. Most people consider Fedor is the #1 P4P fighter in the world and maybe the best ever. There's no other fighter who's fought the best competition in the world and doesn't have a legitimate loss on his record. The Lesnar thing is debatable but IMO, Fedor would sub him or maybe even knock him out.

Brock Lesnar is a dream GnPer. Juggernaut with cinderblock fists. I'm not big on his personality but he looks pretty unbeatable right now.

He does look pretty damn unstoppable. I don't know if the UFC has anyone that can stop him. I want to see him defend that belt against the winner of Velasquez/Carwin....although Brock will probably dominate either of them, he hasn't really fought anyone with good one-punch KO power.

St. Pierre proved the last BJ Penn fight was no fluke, not that anyone thought it was. His pressure is sick. There is nothing left for him at 170.

I totally agree man. GSP's wrestling is second to none IMO. Alves had the best striking/takedown defense he'd seen and GSP took him down at will. I don't see him beating Anderson just because of size, but I think we'll see that fight on the New Year's card.

How about Hendo? :) Bisping was in deep water with Dan's power and it was only a matter of time before he drowned. The Count's a technically nice fighter but he has no power to challenge for a title with.

That may have been my favorite fight of the night. Bisping was running his mouth like crazy before that fight and that was his chance to step his career up to the next level. Instead, he got KTFO by Hendo's right hand. Thank you Hendo. :)

(Edit) BTW- Congrats to Mark Coleman who had to beg the commission to let him fight, then eeked out a split decision against Stephan "The American Tool" Bonnar!

:laugh:

That was my first pay per view UFC and I enjoyed it. Can't say I am a big fan of Lesnar but geez, the guy has no neck and granite for fists. I was hoping Mir was going to pull some great submission move while he was down because the announcers kept saying oh, he is great when he is down, but it never came.

I actually watched it with my friend from England and when that fighter from Manchester went down, he was like just like all fighters from England. That was one hell of a shot though, I think I felt like the pay per view was justified then so I will probably get another soon.

That was my first pay per view UFC and I enjoyed it. Can't say I am a big fan of Lesnar but geez, the guy has no neck and granite for fists. I was hoping Mir was going to pull some great submission move while he was down because the announcers kept saying oh, he is great when he is down, but it never came.

I actually watched it with my friend from England and when that fighter from Manchester went down, he was like just like all fighters from England. That was one hell of a shot though, I think I felt like the pay per view was justified then so I will probably get another soon.

Glad to hear you liked it man. It only takes one good card like that and you're hooked, so watch out!

Glad to hear you liked it man. It only takes one good card like that and you're hooked, so watch out!
Much better than the boxing pay per views I had been getting so I think I am going to change the spending habits. Next time, a keg and more people should offset the cost. :D

I ****ing hate Lesnar. He's just a big dumb animal. Hopefully there will be a 3rd fight and Mir pulls a Silvia on him.

Besides a lucky knee bar, what has Mir done to deserve a 3rd fight? As MMA Live recap said, they've fought a total of 3 rounds in 2 fights and Mir has won a total of 8 seconds in those 3 rounds.

Much better than the boxing pay per views I had been getting so I think I am going to change the spending habits. Next time, a keg and more people should offset the cost. :D

Haha, good idea. That's actually what I do man. I order the PPVs and usually the same group of friends will throw in some cash and beer and we'll go out to the bar for a while then come over here and drink some more and watch it. Always a good time.

Besides a lucky knee bar, what has Mir done to deserve a 3rd fight? As MMA Live recap said, they've fought a total of 3 rounds in 2 fights and Mir has won a total of 8 seconds in those 3 rounds.

If he wins two more fights the UFC will almost certainly give him the rubber match, that's just how they operate. It would be too big of a draw to not do it.

The problem I have with Brock is that is not Brock himself, more the rules about the heavyweight division, IMO, there should be a SUPER-HEAVYWEIGHT division for guys over 250lb(if not less then that).

When someone with the mass and weight of Brock is on top of you, what exactly are you going to do against a guy that has 50 pounds on you? It's not like Mir was mandhandled on the ground because he doesn't have skills, it's because Brock is just that much bigger then him.

It's kind of funny because when Penn moved up to fight GSP, the natural weight disadvantage for Penn was very obvious against GSP, yet because Mir & Lesnar are heavyweights, everyone ignores just how much bigger and stronger Brock is than Mir, and most other guys in the division.

I don't think Dana White is any rush to create a super heavyweight division because it would probably severely limit how much Brock could be showcased on PPV, and when the numbers come in I bet this was the highest buyrate ever for UFC, and no way is White or the Fertitas going to pass up on these types of paydays as much as possible.

Finally, It's not like when Brock gets hit he is walking through punches, that second knee that Mir hit on Brock did kind of faze Brock for a few seconds but when both guys fell the momentum landed Brock on top and Mir's small window to captialize was shut immediately.

Like I said, I am not anti-Brock(not really a big fan or believer either, yet), but I do think something needs to be done in order to even out the weight division for these huge new hulking monters.

Thought UFC 100 was an amazing show. Having the reigning KO of the year happen in the second main card fight really set the tone. Hendo finally landed one of those right hands in the UFC. Perfect timing. A ton of new fans watching, and one of their first impressions is seeing Henderson catch a dude on the back of the jaw with a haymaker. Not only that, but the bomb he fell on Bisping with was absolutely ridiculous.

Eerily similar to his KO against Wanderlei Silva.

I thought Alan Belcher beat Akiyama 29-28. He nonetheless should really start listening to his corner. He's done that in a few fights now, where you can hear what his corner is telling him while he blatantly ignores their instructions. The leg kicks could have made Akiyama's offense stall if he stuck to them. There is a disconnect between him and his coaches that needs to be addressed.

St. Pierre is a phenomenon . If anybody embodies a textbook on MMA technique it's GSP. He's a computer out there. He still looks a little uncomfortable trading punches in the pocket, but he shouldn't do that anyway. The only way the man will be beat is if someone catches him while standing. That superman punch/leg kick combination is a thing of beauty. He should stick to that game of probing from the outside with strikes, nobody has had an answer for it. If he avoids unnecessarily mixing it up in the pocket, he won't be beat at welterweight for years.

I also have to say that Anderson Silva would make GSP look like a horse jockey if they stood next to each other. You think Alves made GSP look small? Anderson has to cut a decent amount of weight to make Light Heavyweight. If GSP could beat Anderson, I would personally be stunned. Yes, GSP has incredible wrestling and Anderson's takedown defense isn't exactly his strength. It's even fair to say that GSP is more well-rounded than Silva. I just think the size difference would play a huge factor in this fight.

Lesnar is awesome. I am officially a fan. I think the antics after the fight, however out of line he was, were true and bad ass. He's going to have to calm it down, but it really gave us an opportunity to see how intense this guy really is. It immediately brings to mind an analysis by Joe Rogan. He said something during the Countdown show about how Brock would be on the biggest horse with the biggest sword if he was a warrior back in time. He reminds me of the dude with the Gorilla-skull mask from the movie Willow. An intense, no frills warrior that kicks your ass and screams over your dead body after the battle. It's disrespectful because this is a sport, yes. Sure, in the abstract it could also be part-show. But I don't think it is. I think it's a mindset that he has to put himself in to perform to his absolute potential.

Mir got absolutely stifled. He did have about 5 seconds of success on the feet, but he otherwise got embarrassed on the ground. To a person that knew nothing about Frank Mir before watching this fight, you'd think he didn't know a thing about ground fighting after the absolute manhandling on the ground.

Now, what's for Brock? Everybody is saying Carwin, but he does have to beat Velasquez first. Both guys have the potential to fend off Brock's wrestling and keep it standing. Fedor is the dream match, but of course that has little chance of ever happening. I still think people look at Fedor's non-imposing look and easily forget his unmatched explosiveness in the ring. Mir, Couture and Herring are all dry slugs compared to Fedor. He is incredibly fast, faster than Brock. He's got lightning-fast strikes for a Heavyweight, as well. Brock is a wrestling and ground and pound nightmare, but Fedor is a Sambo nightmare and has some of the most devastating ground and pound highlights you'll see. I personally think Fedor would win that fight, but it really is too bad it won't happen.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Not as huge as everyone else on the MMA thing, but starting to get into it (can't wait for the next season of TUF - the tension between Evans and Rampage should be epic).

For the Fedor-Lesnar discussion...I know the ball is pretty much in Fedor's court, but I found Dana White's post-conference quotes interesting on the subject:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/ultimate_fighter/blog/2009/07/next_logical_question_brock_le.html

Not as huge as everyone else on the MMA thing, but starting to get into it (can't wait for the next season of TUF - the tension between Evans and Rampage should be epic).

For the Fedor-Lesnar discussion...I know the ball is pretty much in Fedor's court, but I found Dana White's post-conference quotes interesting on the subject:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/ultimate_fighter/blog/2009/07/next_logical_question_brock_le.html

Very interesting. Fedor was interviewed on Inside MMA Friday night and he said he didn't think you'd see him in the UFC anytime soon. I think that the UFC are going to change their minds and lure him in sometime in the next year. Especially if he beats Josh Barnett.

A few thoughts from UFC100:

- How many animals were slaughtered in the octogon last night? Before the first fight that made it onto the PPV I noticed the ring was covered in blood. I think GSP even slipped in some.

- GSP/Alves was a match up of core strength versus upper body. Core strength clearly carried the day. All the size that Alves carries up top to add power to his punches didn't help him against GSP's horse legs. That guy could pull a train.

- Too much is made of Brock's size and not enough about his wrestling ability and quickness. Brock isn't the first large fighter. The interesting thing I see is that he's impossible to stuff on take down attempts and he's lightning fast in swinging his legs arounnd on the ground in avoiding sweeps and escape attempts. His biggest strength IMO however is his ability to get a lot of power behind his punches without a wind up or having to posture up. He can knock you out with short hooks on the ground.... very very very few fighters can do that.

- GSP needs to stop fighting in his underwear. Seriously. Stop.

- Bisping was overrated coming into this fight having never fought anyone of note. There is a massive talent gap in pretty much all fight sports. The champions are in a league all their own, below them is a small group of really good fighters, and below them are the rest. Bisping got into tier 2 and barely did more than run around before catching what everyone knew was coming. He will never be a champion.

- Fedor could beat Brock but he wouldn't walk through him. I think he'd win because the guy is as fast as a WW with crazy strength. If he ends up under Brock however he'd be pounded out like anyone else. The key to beating Brock without relying on a mistake is staying on top or standing. He's too good of a wrestler for anyone to deal survive for long.

Edited by Destino

it should not be fair to be 265+lbs and still be as quick as lesnar. dude turned mir's face into hamburger meat. the post fight stuff doesnt bother me that much, but he probably went over the top. i only see Fedor & maybe Carwin challenging him

GSP is as dominant as they come, but he's not as exciting as he used to be before the Serra KO. its like he fights a more cautious style thats better and more dominant, but slightly less exciting

Henderson put a smile on my face with that KO. i was watching with a room full of people and everybody went stone silent when he went airborne for the last shot. the hang time he had on that last shot was very impressive

i scored the first fight for Akiyama 29-28, good fight nonetheless

Fitch/Thiago was kinda boring

just downloaded and watch Jon Jones' fight. he is going to be a major problem for LHW's in a year or two. i hope the UFC brings him along slow though. there's no reason to toss him to the big boys of the division yet. he's only 21 and can be a major star if they bring him along right

overall damn good card, i watched with people who were new to the UFC and now they are HOOKED

Edited by StillUnknown

My son was up from VA Beach last night and wanted to watch the UFC fight. I am not up on UFC but figured why not. After watching it last night I can't help but think this is just as phony as WWE. A scripted entertainment farce along the lines of Jerry Springer. Anyone else get the same impression? I had hoped the fights would be legitimate (my son thinks they are). But after watching some of those antics I cannot help but think WWF/WWE.

My son was up from VA Beach last night and wanted to watch the UFC fight. I am not up on UFC but figured why not. After watching it last night I can't help but think this is just as phony as WWE. A scripted entertainment farce along the lines of Jerry Springer. Anyone else get the same impression? I had hoped the fights would be legitimate (my son thinks they are). But after watching some of those antics I cannot help but think WWF/WWE.

look at my sig, nobody takes a shot like that on purpose

MMA is legitimate, it is as real as it gets

No idea what you are talking about.

No one, and i mean no one would willingly take a punch like Hendo's last night. Or the tenderizing that Brock was unleashing. There is no scripted entertainment farce. The fights are legitimate. If they werent, then Chuck Liddel would still be around.

Edited by Skin'emAlive