Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

If Swick wins his next couple fights, he will easily be deserving. Watch out for Koschcek to want a rematch if he strings together some W's at the pace he's going.

In my opinion, GSP should stay down at 170. He is all muscle and wouldn't have to cut a pound. He'll be 185 the night of the fight. Anderson, on the other hand, cuts a ton of weight. He'll be 200 lbs the night of the fight. This guy has superior striking advantages, and you're giving him 15 lbs? Please.

If those two stood next to each other, Anderson would make GSP look like a horse jockey. The reach and height advantage is stupefying when you take in to account how much Silva likes to use his lengthy limbs to catch you from the outside.

The size difference would be about the same as Penn-GSP

2qmfdl2.gif

^^^seeing this makes it seem as though the elbow put Bonnar out, but when he hit his head on the mat it woke him back up:2cents:

Loved the elbow and overall offense from Jones. That elbow hit Bonnar square in the back of the head though.

Edited by Sebowski

Loved the elbow and overall striking from Jones. That elbow hit Bonnar square in the back of the head though.

yeah, unintentional though, just one of those things. its probably better for Bonnar that it didn't land flush against his face, he might have been forced to see Rich Franklin's plastic surgeon

Edited by StillUnknown

You guys have to think about what "Pound for Pound" really means before you put GSP in with Fedor. GSP can't just go around beating everyone smaller than him and lay claim to being p4p king. Especially when his gameplan is to overwhelm with size and strength.

P4P has nothing to do with weight, hence the term. GSP is dominating one of the deepest divisions in the UFC right now. He out wrestled two of the best wrestlers in the cage, Serra is a BJJ beast who couldn't beat him and he just dominated the crown jewel of the UFC last night.

I seriously don't get your arguement, what is Lesnar going to do if he goes on a tear? Go fight a gorilla to be the smaller guy? The term P4P was created as a "what if". Matching skill set for skill set where everyone weighs the same who would win or who is the best. Hasn't nothing to do with the actual weight of the person.

IMO Spider is still a bit of an unknown. He can obviously fight but no one has tested him so that makes you wonder if he's that good or is the competition just not good enough. Henderson is a legend and Franklin ruled 185 for a long time but neither of them are as complete of a fighter as Silva. I don't know how true it is but I've heard rumors that the UFC has tried to schedule Silva another fight at 205 but he keeps turning them down. Is he scared? I want to see how much heart he has before crowning him the best P4P in the world.

Hey SU, here's your sig man. Some eye candy while representing the Ultimate Fighter Challenge. This accomplishes so much. Easy on the eyes, it advertises the sport, and more people will do sig bets with me now. I tried making it small so you can fit a .gif in there while keeping the hotness of the chick apparent.

The MMA Thread is not impressed with my performance

rachelle-1-1.jpg

IMO Spider is still a bit of an unknown. He can obviously fight but no one has tested him so that makes you wonder if he's that good or is the competition just not good enough. Henderson is a legend and Franklin ruled 185 for a long time but neither of them are as complete of a fighter as Silva. I don't know how true it is but I've heard rumors that the UFC has tried to schedule Silva another fight at 205 but he keeps turning them down. Is he scared? I want to see how much heart he has before crowning him the best P4P in the world.

Anderson ain't scared, he simply believes the LHW division is Machida's. they are great friends and training partners so unless Machida loses sometime soon, i don't expect to see Anderson at 205 for awhile.

i don't agree with you're argument about Silva not being tested. i don't think you can blame him for his opponents not being able to test him. if anything it makes him look better that he can dominate these fighters with such ease. Henderson was considered the prototype to beat Anderson before the fight. Franklin doesn't get enough credit for how good he is (no shame in losing to Anderson, Machida, or Hendo).

i agree that Anderson hasn't really been tested in the UFC, but i don't think you can blame him for that.

Hey SU, here's your sig man. Some eye candy while representing the Ultimate Fighter Challenge. This accomplishes so much. Easy on the eyes, it advertises the sport, and more people will do sig bets with me now. I tried making it small so you can fit a .gif in there while keeping the hotness of the chick apparent.

The MMA Thread is not impressed with my performance

rachelle-1-1.jpg

:rotflmao:

thats a good one, well played :cheers:

Excuse me?

No worries. Excuse you. :)

Anderson said in an interview awhile back that he walks around at 210, drops to about 200 when in training, then does a hard cut of 12-15lbs
He also said he fluctuates his weight all the way down to 170 to test his body at different weights. Don't read too much into it.
Lol, um yeah. Definitely don't read to much into the weight these guys walk around at...a lot of them are going to walk around 15+-5 over. This is why it's such a big deal to jump between weight classes. A lot of people think it's just 15 lbs. It's so much more than that.
Anderson ain't scared, he simply believes the LHW division is Machida's. they are great friends and training partners so unless Machida loses sometime soon, i don't expect to see Anderson at 205 for awhile.
I'd say that is an accurate summary of what's actually going on.

P4P has nothing to do with weight, hence the term...

The term P4P was created as a "what if". Matching skill set for skill set where everyone weighs the same who would win or who is the best. Hasn't nothing to do with the actual weight of the person.

This is making my head spin.

How does a term "pound for pound" not have anything to do with weight?

This is making my head spin.

How does a term "pound for pound" not have anything to do with weight?

Pound for pound is a judgment of how successful and talented a fighter is without any weight factor. Therefore, one could make the argument that 135 lb bantamweight champion, Miguel Torres, is pound for pound BETTER than 265 lb Brock Lesnar.

We all know Brock would pick his teeth with Miguel, but pound for pound, he's not as talented and successful as Miguel.

The thing is though Dana White's match-making is purely for business purposes.

Why do you think he kept trying to keep Liddell in the LHW title picture.

Why do you think Brock got a title shot with a 1-1 UFC record.

Why do you think he went and bailed Rampage out after the hit & run incident.

If GSP is down to fight Silva, and Dana White thinks it will make a ton of money, he will rush to get the fight signed.

He could have told BJ Penn no, and that he had to give Florian a title shot first before fighting GSP, but then he would run the risk of BJ losing and then a superfight with GSP loses all luster.

The UFC needs to come up with a more concrete system or rules and regulations as to just how guys are getting title shots.

1st step is an official ranking system, which UFC is avoiding at all costs it seems.

Pound for pound is a judgment of how successful and talented a fighter is without any weight factor. Therefore, one could make the argument that 135 lb bantamweight champion, Miguel Torres, is pound for pound BETTER than 265 lb Brock Lesnar.

We all know Brock would pick his teeth with Miguel, but pound for pound, he's not as talented and successful as Miguel.

Exactly. That is why it is hard for me to elevate GSP on a p4p list after his par from ance. His whole fight startegy was to use his extra weight to win the fight

from an article on junkie

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13886/is-st-pierre-the-new-pound-for-pound-king.mma

St. Pierre said he was about 187 pounds going into the cage, nearly 20 pounds heavier than Penn (13-5-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC), who weighed in at 168 pounds and was likely right at that weight going into the cage...

"My strategy was that he has small shoulders, which is good for hand speed, so I went to make him carry my weight and cause his shoulders to tire," said St. Pierre...."You'll notice I didn’t rush him right away going for the takedown (his style in his last few matches)," said St. Pierre. "The idea was to cause him to have to hop on one leg and get tired, and push off, having to carry my weight in the clinch. That was the idea in the first round."

----

So now lets pretend GSP and Penn both weighed 168 pounds for the fight. What would have happened? There is still no way to know for sure.

See the thing is Sebowski, that Penn doesn't typically fight at 170. He is best suited to 155, no doubt about it. Just like GSP is best suited to 170 because he walks around bigger than that. It's how the system works. The argument for GSP being high on the P4P list is because he is so much more dominant than any other fighters at 170 right now, people who are about the same size as him.

Penn is equally dominant in lightweight. Fedor is equally dominant in heavyweight. Silva is equally dominant in middleweight. So I propose this list of top p4p fighters:

1. Fedor

1. GSP

1. Silva

1. Penn

5. Others... nobody is as dominant at 205 right now as these guys are in their weight classes. But lets just cut the BS and put them all as tied at #1 because right now nobody in their weight class can touch any of them imo.