Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Dream announced the matchups for their June 15th card, looks pretty damn good:

Lightweight Grand Prix Second Round bout:

-Shinya Aoki (#2 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Katsuhiko Nagata

-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (#9 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Jerome LeBanner

Middleweight Grand Prix Second Round (16-man tournament)

-Gegard Mousasi (#9 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Dong Sik Yoon

-Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Melvin Manhoef

-Zelg Gelasic vs. Taiei Kin

-Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza

UFC 84 Weigh-Ins are @ 7pm(est). Yahoo will provide a stream for the weigh-ins

Tito showed up to weigh-ins in a shirt that read "DANA IS MY *****!" :laugh:

If Tito had waited until now to disrespect pretty much EVERYONE ELSE, I'd have a softer spot in my heart for him. But, just because he may or may not have been treated fairly by Dana, let us not forget what a disrespectful ******* he has been to other fighters for years. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever, and hope to see Machida's hand raised while Tito cries like a little ***** (and you know he will if he loses).

That being said, can't wait for the Main Event. Just hope it's not a frustrating snoozefest.

I gave Tito the slight scoring edge over Rashad Evans even though that fight ended in a draw. I consider Rashad to be one step ahead of Lyoto in his development because of the opponents he had faced before fighting Ortiz.

I disagree on every level. I think Machida today would kill the best Rashad we will ever see.

Machida has fought a some of opponents that would have a very good chance of beating Evans.

Soko

Penn

Franklin

I even think Nakamura would have a shot against Evans, but that probably says more about how I feel about Evans than anything else.

Evans has one quality win on his record, a split decision over Bisping (I personally can't remember the fight)

i think Herring has a little too much MMA experience for Brock. Herring also is more likely than Kongo to score a 1 punch KO, and he's pretty good at getting off his back. i think Brock could put Kongo on his ass and keep him there.

So your thinking is that they will only give Brock a fight they are pretty sure he will win.

I think the UFC likes Kongo a lot too and don;t really want him losing either. That is probably why his next fight is against Dan Evenson

http://mmamania.com/2008/05/19/cheick-kongo-vs-dan-evensen-ufc-87-fight-set/

My thinking is more that they want to fast-track Lesnar by giving him quality opponents, like Heath Herring.

If they want Lesnar to face a striker he can groud and pound it may end up being Antoni Hardonk.

Tito showed up to weigh-ins in a shirt that read "DANA IS MY *****!" :laugh:

I don't get Tito.

How can Dana be his b!tch then how come in that video he says he is being pimped out by Dana and the UFC?

I think Tito might be as stupid as Dana says he is.

He can be as focussed and confident as he wants. He is still not a better fighter than Machida and that will show on Saturday night.

So your thinking is that they will only give Brock a fight they are pretty sure he will win.

I think the UFC likes Kongo a lot too and don;t really want him losing either. That is probably why his next fight is against Dan Evenson

http://mmamania.com/2008/05/19/cheick-kongo-vs-dan-evensen-ufc-87-fight-set/

My thinking is more that they want to fast-track Lesnar by giving him quality opponents, like Heath Herring.

If they want Lesnar to face a striker he can groud and pound it may end up being Antoni Hardonk.

i think they want to fast-track him as well, especially since the HW division is kinda thin right now. That being said, they still have to be careful and give him the best possible matchup. If he loses his next fight, his drawing power will likely take hit. People can excuse the first loss as him losing to one of the best BJJ HW's in the game, him losing again will be harder to explain.

Kongo has some name recognition with the people since he beat CroCop. i just think Kongo (being a bigger name than Hardonk, while less dangerous than Herring) is the best matchup for him.

Since Kongo is fighting on 87apparently, i'm not sure who they plan on throwing at Lesnar. If its Herring, i see Herring winning that match to be honest.

i think they want to fast-track him as well, especially since the HW division is kinda thin right now. That being said, they still have to be careful and give him the best possible matchup. If he loses his next fight, his drawing power will likely take hit. People can excuse the first loss as him losing to one of the best BJJ HW's in the game, him losing again will be harder to explain.

Kongo has some name recognition with the people since he beat CroCop. i just think Kongo (being a bigger name than Hardonk, while less dangerous than Herring) is the best matchup for him.

Since Kongo is fighting on 87apparently, i'm not sure who they plan on throwing at Lesnar. If its Herring, i see Herring winning that match to be honest.

Good points. Same can be said for Kongo. He just lost to Herring and another loss would be bad for him.

Since the card is already looking pretty stacked (GSP-Fitch; Florian-Huerta) maybe they give him someone like Brad Imes. Or maybe the Coleman disciple who just won in Japan, Kevin Randleman.

I don't think they would hesitate to move change Kongo's opponent if an injury made it a good idea. Just look at what happened to UFC 85.

I disagree on every level. I think Machida today would kill the best Rashad we will ever see.

Machida has fought a some of opponents that would have a very good chance of beating Evans.

Soko

Penn

Franklin

I even think Nakamura would have a shot against Evans, but that probably says more about how I feel about Evans than anything else.

Evans has one quality win on his record, a split decision over Bisping (I personally can't remember the fight)

I forgot about Franklin and Penn when I posted that. :) My bad.

However, I was mainly using the Tito-Rashad fight as a gauge of where I expect Tito to have to improve upon. He did fight well against a young version of himself in Evans. Lyoto is more well-rounded than Rashad, but I obviously have a higher opinion of Evans than you.

my picks for UFC 84:

Nakamura vs. Sokodjou: i see Sokodjou being a little too atheltic and explosive for Nakmura. Nak looked soft at weigh-ins, Sokodjou should be able to look good against him. Soko is stil very young, and should make some noise in the division down the line

Sokodjou by TKO (ref stoppage), 2nd Round

Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes: Silva should be on some seek and destroy for this fight. if Mendes makes it out of the first, i'll be surprised.

Silva by KO, 1st Round

Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic: i know nothing about Reljic, but i was going to pick him because i'm not sold on Gouveia yet. at the weigh-ins Reljic head-butted Gouveia, so i'm thinking Gouveia will come out with some extra motivation. Gouveia will leg kick him and finish him on the ground.

Gouveia by sub, 2nd round

Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida: i've changed my mind about 10 times on this fight. Machida doesn't care about being boring and thus doesn't take any risks in the cage. his striking is so damn precise, and he's very good off his back using sweeps and such. Ortiz seems to be more motivated than i've seen him in a long time. i'm guessing he'll pull out all the stops to be able to flip Dana the bird on his way out.

Tito by Unanimous Decision

Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine: Silva is a legend on a losing streak. the only way Jardine wins this is if he keeps the fight on the outside and chops away at Silva with the leg kicks. Silva should come out aggressive and keep everything inside and finish him in the clinch. If Houston Alexander could damage Jardine in the clinch, Wandy should be able to as well.

Silva by KO, 2nd Round

B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk: i'm not so much of a Penn fan as i am a Sherk hater. BJ looked a little lean at the weigh-ins. i'm praying that he wins, but my gut is telling me Sherk will lay-n-pray his way to a decision. B.J. will give Sherk hell for first 2 and a half rounds, hopefull he can finish the fight within that frame, but i don't see it happening. Sherk has no neck, and stubs for arms that make him incredibly difficult to submit. I'm hoping Penn catches him with a wicked shot standing and is able to finish it though.

Sherk by Unanimous Decision (i hope i'm wrong though:( )

Nakamura vs. Sokodjou: Nakamura - dunno why or when

Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes: Silva, KO round 1

Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic: - dunno

Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida: - Ortiz, split decision

Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine: Silva - KTFO 1st round

B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk: - Sherk - decision

I will never forgive him for holding his choke on Pulver after the ref told him to let go. That shows a lack of discipline. The fact that (at least in the past) he didn't have the greatest cardio shows that he lacked discipline.

QFT, that showed me how much a douchebag he really is. He even had the nerve to shake his hand afterwards.

Edit - That being said, I don't really like Sherk either.

QFT, that showed me how much a douchebag he really is. He even had the nerve to shake his hand afterwards.

Edit - That being said, I don't really like Sherk either.

I think that's why I don't like Penn either, that still sticks in my mind...same thing for Babalu, although I didn't really like him before he did that either.

I think that's why I don't like Penn either, that still sticks in my mind...same thing for Babalu, although I didn't really like him before he did that either.

what I dont get is Babalu is out of the UFC and Penn didnt even get a slap on the wrist.

Shows that Dana plays favorites big time.

Tito was just on a radio show out here in SD and he was saying that Dana basically called him up and begged him to stay in the UFC and Tito told him that there was no way in hell he was going to and Dana burned that bridge with him.

Dana really does play favorites, but no one says **** about it as long as it's their favorite fighter reaping the benefits. Chuck fans didn't care that his title reign was against nothing but wrestlers with poor standup. Randy fans didn't care he lost to Chuck twice, retired, then got a title shot in his first fight back. Franklin fans didn't care that after he lost to Silva his first fight back was in his home state, then his rematch with the CHAMP was in HIS hometown instead of a neutral location. It only matters to the fans when it's their fighter on the wrong end of the fight. That pisses me off even more than Dana's coddling.

Dana really does play favorites, but no one says **** about it as long as it's their favorite fighter reaping the benefits. Chuck fans didn't care that his title reign was against nothing but wrestlers with poor standup. Randy fans didn't care he lost to Chuck twice, retired, then got a title shot in his first fight back. Franklin fans didn't care that after he lost to Silva his first fight back was in his home state, then his rematch with the CHAMP was in HIS hometown instead of a neutral location. It only matters to the fans when it's their fighter on the wrong end of the fight. That pisses me off even more than Dana's coddling.

I hate to be "that guy" but it is always like that with everything you run into in life. If it doesnt effect you personally then its all good. But as soon as it does you get mad and say something.

You are 10000000% right though FWIW.

i guess Dana remembers images of Jake O'Brien holding Herring down for 3rounds to beat him. if Brock can avoid Herring strikes, he should be able to win this. Herring won't be able to stop Lesnar's takedown, but i see Herring landing at least one big shot, so we should get a look at Lesnars chin.