Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

14 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

My man.  Don't make it so that you're not a fan of the sport anymore. I haven't bought a pay-per-view in I don't know how long. I don't care about spoilers anymore, the sport has legendary fights that still thrill me.  Watching the replay of last night's fight is awesome.  If I paid $60, yes, I'd be flustered.  But people did that with Tyson, and those fights are looked back upon as legendary.

nah, it's all good.  I just was a little pissed, I had to subscribe to ESPN+ to even buy the PPV.  40 seconds...........It's all good though, I'll just go in halves with one of my friends or go out and watch it at a bar in the future.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

the ppv **** is stupid. You have to have ESPN + to even buy the pay per view. Stupid af. 

fighters getting ****ed again to be honest. the ufc receives a guaranteed amount from ESPN regardless of how a PPV does. the few fighters who are lucky enough to get PPV points as a part of their deal, are getting screwed because the numbers go down as its not as accessible as it was before

some thoughts after catching up on last nights fights:

- JDS is washed, sad to see. I thought he would lose, but not get punished on the feet like he did. He kept spamming that wild ass uppercut and Blaydes timed him perfectly and made him pay. Blaydes will be a tough out for anybody at HW. one of the few talents in the division who is still not 30 years old. He's already a good wrestler with vicious ground n pound, and he's not quite as robotic as he used to be on the feet.

- Rafael Dos Anjos is a man without a division. Too big to make 155, not big enough to keep wrestlers off of him at 170. Chiesa is nothing special on the feet, but he's a great grappler with a pressure takedown game, which is pretty much the formula for beating RDA. Chiesa looked like a giant in there, I have no idea how he ever made 155. He called out Colby post match, and honestly the fight makes sense, but I dont think he gets it

Bellator:

- safe to safe getting blasted by Nunes did not make Cyborg tentative. Bellator showed Julia Budd's trainers (her husband & stepson) reacting to finishing sequence and it was honestly one of the hardest things I have ever watched in MMA. at absolute worst, Cyborg will go down as the 2nd greatest women's mma fighter in the sport. she's probably happy she doesn't have to deal with Dana and all the times he's personally insulted her

- Darion Caldwell is a beast at 145 when he isn't content to lay N pray his opponent. His semi-final bout with AJ McKee is one of the fights i'm most looking forward to this year.

- Raymond Daniels did some more dynamic spinning **** on some poor unfortunate soul. Bellator should make MVP vs. Daniels, but I don't think they are ready to see MVP laid to rest again.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, StillUnknown said:

some thoughts after catching up on last nights fights:

- JDS is washed, sad to see. I thought he would lose, but not get punished on the feet like he did. He kept spamming that wild ass uppercut and Blaydes timed him perfectly and made him pay. Blaydes will be a tough out for anybody at HW. one of the few talents in the division who is still not 30 years old. He's already a good wrestler with vicious ground n pound, and he's not quite as robotic as he used to be on the feet.

- Rafael Dos Anjos is a man without a division. Too big to make 155, not big enough to keep wrestlers off of him at 170. Chiesa is nothing special on the feet, but he's a great grappler with a pressure takedown game, which is pretty much the formula for beating RDA. Chiesa looked like a giant in there, I have no idea how he ever made 155. He called out Colby post match, and honestly the fight makes sense, but I dont think he gets it

It's almost criminal to see fighters like Chiesa stroll into the octagon with that kind of size advantage. The way fighters can make weight and then replenish/gain weight so quickly is proof positive for me that more weight classes are needed and that weight should be checked again right before fight time. If you're fighting in the 155 class, you should weigh 155 when you fight, not the day before.

I'd bet money on Chiesa weighing about 170 by the time he entered the cage. Maybe more. RDA probably put some pounds back on overnight as well, that's not lost on me. However, when you walk around at close to 200 pounds (as I'm sure Michael does) the weight comes back easy just by rehydrating and scarfing a couple steaks.

Mark me down as someone still interested in Cyborg vs. Nunes 2.  I would give Nunes the edge still probably after seeing that first fight, but I felt it was a case of Cyborg getting cracked with that first big punch and was never able to recover, instead she went immediately into "stand and trade my way out of this" mode.  Part of me thinks she didn't take Nunes's power seriously enough.  She has been in a lot of fights with 135lb fighters who move up to 145lbs and rarely can they perform just as well at the higher weight division.  Cyborg probably figured, "here comes another one, I can just walk right through on the feet" 

It's too bad Valentina is smaller than Nunes because not only do I think she won the 2nd fight between them, but if she was naturally just 10-15lbs bigger, I think she would work Nunes over pretty well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Mark me down as someone still interested in Cyborg vs. Nunes 2.  I would give Nunes the edge still probably after seeing that first fight, but I felt it was a case of Cyborg getting cracked with that first big punch and was never able to recover, instead she went immediately into "stand and trade my way out of this" mode.  Part of me thinks she didn't take Nunes's power seriously enough.  She has been in a lot of fights with 135lb fighters who move up to 145lbs and rarely can they perform just as well at the higher weight division.  Cyborg probably figured, "here comes another one, I can just walk right through on the feet" 

It's too bad Valentina is smaller than Nunes because not only do I think she won the 2nd fight between them, but if she was naturally just 10-15lbs bigger, I think she would work Nunes over pretty well. 

Val is amazing. After seeing what Amanda has done to other great fighters, it's a tribute to Valentina that she fought so well against Nunes, especially with such a size disadvantage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

another ****ty card outside of the main event tonight

feeling like Reyes will upset Jones. Jones' wrestling has regressed, and he's more content to be a kickboxer, but his defense isn't that great. He's still hell to deal with because of his reach and creativity, but his best asset has been his chin & durability. Every chin has an expiration date though. Reyes punches hard and is boring enough that I dont think Jones will take this fight as serious as he should. Reyes by 2nd round (t)ko

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There are a couple of Reyes of hope for him.

giphy.gif

one other factor against Jones, JacksonWink gym is not what it once was. Jones is legit the only good fighter in their camp. Maybe Holly Holm, but other than that, everybody else has left that gym for various reasons and Jackson's heart aint in MMA like it used to be

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

feeling like Reyes will upset Jones. Jones' wrestling has regressed, and he's more content to be a kickboxer, but his defense isn't that great. He's still hell to deal with because of his reach and creativity, but his best asset has been his chin & durability. Every chin has an expiration date though. Reyes punches hard and is boring enough that I dont think Jones will take this fight as serious as he should. Reyes by 2nd round (t)ko

You bold.

I really was going to predict something like this,  I just didn't have the balls, because it's so hard to bet against Jones. Because even when he finds himself in serious danger, he always manages to pull something out of his bag of tricks. But maybe time is running out on those tricks.

So I'm gonna change my prediction to yours. I can do that, since the fight hasn't started yet. But I'll give you credit if it's right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You bold.

I really was going to predict something like this,  I just didn't have the balls, because it's so hard to bet against Jones. Because even when he finds himself in serious danger, he always manages to pull something out of his bag of tricks. But maybe time is running out on those tricks.

So I'm gonna change my prediction to yours. I can do that, since the fight hasn't started yet. But I'll give you credit if it's right.

I dont think he can work himself up anymore if the stakes arent high. they just dont motivate him, not saying its right, but it seems to be a fact. It helps explain why he could take down an olympic wrestler in Cormier, but struggle to do so against Anthony Smith. He wanted to prove a point against Gustaffson, but struggled with Thiago Santos. these are the "stay busy" fights he takes to probably keep himself from doing stupid **** as he's known to do.

also, he's been fighting at a ridiculously high level for over 10 years now. there is data out there that shows that can be a line where fighters start to suddenly fall off.

if he wins, I think its his last fight at 205

i just looked at lineup for the rest of card, and there is really not any other fight I care about at all.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

The thing about Bones is that at LHW his physical advantages are so great that he is now winning simply by playing defense and point-fighting.  He hasn't had the same killer instinct out there for a little while, but he is still winning by grinding out opponents who can't match his strength at 205.  If he does get beat in this weight division, it is going to come from someone that isn't willing to fight at the slow, prodding pace, and someone who pressures Bones into a higher pace of a fight.  Of course, what the hell do I know that could also get the person KO'd quicker too?

It might sound crazy, but there may be multiple methods to potentially beat Jones.

I say that because of all the guys that came close to beating him (Santos, Cormier, Gustaffson, Belfort), they all got to that point through different means.

But perhaps the most sure-fire way to beat Jones, based on history, is to lay this trap for him :

Play dead, and then you lure him into those 12-6 elbows !

39 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It might sound crazy, but there may be multiple methods to potentially beat Jones.

I say that because of all the guys that came close to beating him (Santos, Cormier, Gustaffson, Belfort), they all got to that point through different means.

But perhaps the most sure-fire way to beat Jones, based on history, is to lay this trap for him :

Play dead, and then you lure him into those 12-6 elbows !

His biggest weakness is that he's fallen in love with being a kickboxer, but his defense is ****, if his chin wasn't so good, he would have already been ko'd. He can also become passive if his opponent is willing to throw combinations. the problem for his opponents is that Jones is still the best at in-fight adjustments. if something is not working, he can usually diagnosis it early and change up accordingly. he has alot of weapons, none that will kill you with a single strike, but you will take damage, especially in the clinch.

• Like 1