Sign in to follow this  
SUNSTONE

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

I'm not sure why this fight is a main event, but the first round was somewhat entertaining. 

Kind of amazing how Nate and the UFC just started acting Nate Diaz is a great fighter and got fans to just play along.  He's never been that.  

Nate is getting his ass whipped pretty thoroughly

when the best thing you're showing is "toughness", probably not a good sign

you can't preach fighter safety, then get mad at the independent doctor for doing their job

Masvidal was winning that fight everywhere it went, I really didn't need to see 2 more rounds of it

I don't really want a rematch, much more interesting fights for Masvidal out there

Nate clearly is not on his level

I want a rematch. Diaz was picking up his timing. He outclassed Jorge Im transitions on the ground. The fact he survived that headlock was amazing. 

Good card.

Went to a club and arrived right after the Lee finish so I can't comment on that...but

Ivanov might have the best chin in MMA,

Thompson looks like he's improved his striking. Most impressive performance I've seen out of him in a while.

Was hoping Gastellum would win because I really want a Gastellum-Adesanya rematch for obvious reasons, however Till is still a legit force.

Regarding the doctor stoppage, I think that...Nate Diaz was suprised mother ****ers.

Kind of ironic that a belt titled BMF is stopped due to such a questionable cut.

TIme to stop the BMF BS, please.

• Like 1

What sucks about the fight ending after 3 rounds is the fact that Masvidal was slowing down a lot in the 3rd.  He still very likely wins the fight due to being up 3 rounds, but Nate seemed to be reserving his gas tank for Rounds 4 & 5.    Nate is usually always at a disadvantage at the beginning of fights because he lacks the 1-punch KO or even 1-punch stun power.  He wins based on volume, pressure, relentlessness.   Supposedly he had an injury during training camp which prevented him train for a 5 round fight the way he normally would.  Props to Masvidal though, those cuts didn't just magically appear. 

There could be a rematch in the future but I don't see it immediately.   Jorge winning likely gets him the winner of Usman/Colby, where as Nate losing could mean Dana throws away any chance of McGregor/Cowboy and instead goes with the McGregor/Diaz trilogy fight.   

Edited by NoCalMike

judging by the interview, Nick should not be cleared to do any fighting. I hope I'm wrong, but he sounded like a man that is fighting the bottle and losing

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

judging by the interview, Nick should not be cleared to do any fighting. I hope I'm wrong, but he sounded like a man that is fighting the bottle and losing

He smokes a lot of weed, he was likely high.  The Diaz brothers are actually running a pretty successful CBD company, which is likely contributing to why they have been so indifferent to fighting in the last couple of years.  They have always been a little out there in that sense to begin with, professing how they love martial arts but not necessarily fighting, but do it anyway. 

Do you guys feel that since everybody is getting their bases covered - jiu-jitsu, wrestling, and Muay Thai - that outskirt martial arts like Taekwondo are making a comeback?  Surprise moves seem to make a lot of a difference these days.

I really hope Cowboy has the fight of his life and ruins UFC's plans of hot-shotting Conor into a title fight should he beat Cerrone. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Do you guys feel that since everybody is getting their bases covered - jiu-jitsu, wrestling, and Muay Thai - that outskirt martial arts like Taekwondo are making a comeback?  Surprise moves seem to make a lot of a difference these days.

they don't tend to work much at the higher levels though. When they do work, its usually because the fighter has incorporated the surprise moves into a fundamentally solid game.

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I really hope Cowboy has the fight of his life and ruins UFC's plans of hot-shotting Conor into a title fight should he beat Cerrone. 

If Cerrone were smart, he'd train nothing but wrestling and work Conor on the ground. I absolutely believe Cerrone's ground game is good enough to tap or damage Conor with ground and pound. I also absolutely believe that Cerrone will not choose to go that route. 

8 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

they don't tend to work much at the higher levels though. When they do work, its usually because the fighter has incorporated the surprise moves into a fundamentally solid game.

That's what I'm saying.  Since people have solid bases, they include some wild techniques from other traditional martial arts.