Sign in to follow this  
SUNSTONE

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

21 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Didn’t watch it yet. Did he try to out grapple Maia?

he tried, but he didn't have much of a choice, he was losing the standup as well. when it did go to the ground, it was clear that Maia's was on a different level. he swept Askren a couple of times, then got him in a rear-naked choke in the 3rd

I thought it was an exciting fight. They both had their moments even though it became apparent right away that Maia was in control. They both landed some good strikes despite neither being a striker and the mat game was a blast. Ben is simply finding out how tough it is at the top of the game. Maia's been holding his own there for years.

Edited by Chachie

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Some MMA media had Askren scored as winning 2-0...until that fateful 3rd round.

and thats the reason I only pay attention to about 5 mma media members

• Like 1

how many hours of jiu-jitsu do you have to train for your body to start trying to play guard even after you have been detached from consciousness?

On 10/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, StillUnknown said:

he tried, but he didn't have much of a choice, he was losing the standup as well. when it did go to the ground, it was clear that Maia's was on a different level. he swept Askren a couple of times, then got him in a rear-naked choke in the 3rd

Maia has, perhaps, the greatest BJJ pedigree in MMA history.  Its a sodding shame his only title fights were against guys he couldn't takedown and use it against.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bishop Hammer said:

Maia has, perhaps, the greatest BJJ pedigree in MMA history.  Its a sodding shame his only title fights were against guys he couldn't takedown and use it against.  

thats an area of lot of the last generation of jiu-jitsu players neglected. they were always a threat if it hit the ground, but very few could force the action to the ground if they had to. 

This new era of jiu-jitsu seems to be incorporating alot more pure wrestling takedowns to get the fights to the ground in a more dominant position.

• Like 2

Tomorrow night...

Who I'm rooting for: Diaz, Gastellum, Thompson, Lewis, Gillespie

Who I'm picking: Masvidal, Gastellum, Luque, Lewis, Lee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Díaz looked rusty last fight. 

I'm a 100% Diaz Bros. fan but they can both be beaten. Jorge is riding a huge wave of momentum right now. He's a giant-killer. Nate takes a while to wear an opponent down and he takes a lot of damage along the way. If he's smart, he'll take the fight to the mat. If he's not, I think he's in for a rough night. Go Nathan though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chachie said:

I'm a 100% Diaz Bros. fan but they can both be beaten. Jorge is riding a huge wave of momentum right now. He's a giant-killer. Nate takes a while to wear an opponent down and he takes a lot of damage along the way. If he's smart, he'll take the fight to the mat. If he's not, I think he's in for a rough night. Go Nathan though.

Seems that most people are expecting a super-exciting all-out brawl, just due to the fact that both guys "like to stand and bang".

It very well could be that. However...I think that both guys having that same fighter element, could actually result in the opposite-type fight. Not saying it will be boring, but probably lacking the constant fireworks that many expect.

I say it because, when you have 2 guys that have the same strength,  similar high level, same aggression, that just by respect for the other's threats,

they can fight more conservative and calculated. Not saying that either one will 'fight scared' at all, but not as aggressive.

To cite a good example of what I'm saying : see Ngannou vs Lewis

So I'm just gonna predict this one goes to the scorecards without a finish, as I feel that's the only thing I see with somewhat certainty.

Because picking the actual winner is a bit of a toss-up. If I was forced by a machete to pick a winner though, I'd go with Nate.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Pray for Arlovski's chin tomorrow night

StillUnknown lives in both today and tomorrow :)

Nice call.

And wasn't that a jab, that dropped him, just like Rozen's last fight

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems that most people are expecting a super-exciting all-out brawl, just due to the fact that both guys "like to stand and bang".

It very well could be that. However...I think that both guys having that same fighter element, could actually result in the opposite-type fight. Not saying it will be boring, but probably lacking the constant fireworks that many expect.

I say it because, when you have 2 guys that have the same strength,  similar high level, same aggression, that just by respect for the other's threats,

they can fight more conservative and calculated. Not saying that either one will 'fight scared' at all, but not as aggressive.

To cite a good example of what I'm saying : see Ngannou vs Lewis

So I'm just gonna predict this one goes to the scorecards without a finish, as I feel that's the only thing I see with somewhat certainty.

Because picking the actual winner is a bit of a toss-up. If I was forced by a machete to pick a winner though, I'd go with Nate.

I actually think Jorge is more measured than Nate. Nate takes a LOT of shots and he wins by erosion. Jorge has heavy hands. I srsly think Nate would do well to bring the BJJ back.

• Like 1

Let's see if Walker can keep the hype going.

Against Anderson, I won't be impressed unless he KO's him in the first round, then does NOT hurt himself celebrating.

Heck, watching his PRE-fight antics, I'm concerned he might hurt himself with that stuff.

Well, that's the end of that.

Obviously not the end of his career. He's still plenty young and developing.

But I think it'll take a while to climb back the rankings after getting easily KO'd by a guy not known for his power.

Plus, he's never even beaten a Top 10 fighter, that I'm aware of.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

StillUnknown lives in both today and tomorrow :)

Nice call.

And wasn't that a jab, that dropped him, just like Rozen's last fight

he was moving backwards when he threw that shot. that man has that easy power, its gonna be truly scary when Rozen connects with full clean shot

HW got a couple of nice guys coming up between him & Cyril Gagne

I was never completely sold on Johnny Walker. I seen some of his pre-UFC fights, when he doesnt get the spectacular KO, he has exploitable holes in his game.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

really like Gillespie as a prospect, but he uses a grappling heavy approach while being a small 155lb fighter. Not sure how far up the chain he can carry it. Lee is only 27, training with Tristar now, if its going to happen for him, it needs to start soon. so much raw talent, but hasn't put it together. He's been a bit understandably lost since his last trainer committed suicide

That was brutal

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

really like Gillespie as a prospect, but he uses a grappling heavy approach while being a small 155lb fighter. Not sure how far up the chain he can carry it. Lee is only 27, training with Tristar now, if its going to happen for him, it needs to start soon. so much raw talent, but hasn't put it together. He's been a bit understandably lost since his last trainer committed suicide

I didn’t know his trainer committed suicide. im surprised nick stills gets so much attention

3 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

That was brutal

I didn’t know his trainer committed suicide. im surprised nick stills gets so much attention

Robert Follis was his name I believe. Happened just as he was getting recognition as one of the better trainers in the game. Lee had his best fights with him