Sign in to follow this  
SUNSTONE

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

decent card tonight on ESPN 2, minus greg hardy being on the main card.

Reyes v Weidman for the main event at 205: If Weidman chooses to stand with Reyes, his chin will likely get wrecked again. Reyes has been taken down by lesser wrestlers than Weidman, but he'll have the size advantage to help keep it standing. My thinking is that Weidman has taken some very bad shots in his last few fights and I tend to think he is shot. His defense has never been great and its looked worse with each passing fight.

Rodriguez v Stephens: Yair has somehow managed to make Jeremy Stephens the sympathetic figure in this fight. Should be fun anyway. I wish this fight were still 5 rounds. One of the more amazing things about Rodriguez is that despite the wild **** he throws, he seems to have an endless cardio to do it. I still think Rodriguez wins on activity and gets a decision.

pretty sure you cannot do that

add to the fact that it has been a ****ty fight

Edited by StillUnknown

Would Greg Hardy even be on main cards if he wasn't Greg Hardy?  I am not writing him off as a fighter or anything but it seems like he is getting these higher profile main card sports merely on the basis that Dana thinks people will tune in to see "that guy" 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Chris has no chin. That straight left was nice tho. 

MMA is a weird place. Weidman & Rockhold are former champions at 185 and got wrecked going to 205 while Thiago Santos & Anthony Smith are thriving after being non-contenders at 185. I fear for my guy Jacare's upcoming fight at 205lbs

Greg Hardy’s inhaler was approved. 

I dunno about that. 

205 is weak af. 

I think Jones wrecks Thiago if he takes him down. 

Plus Weidman has a tread on that chin. The Romero knee was incredible same with Jacare. 

If Moraes wrecks Aldo, Aldo better just hang it up.  He's been in enough wars and has reached the heights of the fight game. 

I'm legit worried for Aldo beyond the fight

he used to hate cutting to 145, it was always a close call with him. I dont see how gets another 10lbs off. Aldo's defense ain't what it used to be, and cutting weight is not good for the chin 

Faber's fighting Petr Yan on that card too. Two MMA old heads might die on the same night

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If Moraes wrecks Aldo, Aldo better just hang it up.  He's been in enough wars and has reached the heights of the fight game. 

Moraes better get him early because we saw what Cejudo did to him after his adrenaline wore off. Aldo isn't what he used to be and I also worry for him but he does gain steam as a fight goes on, assuming he doesn't take too much severe damage in the early rounds.

16 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Faber's fighting Petr Yan on that card too. Two MMA old heads might die on the same night

Faber is definitely way past his prime, but his style of fighting has helped him avoid being in that punch drunk twilight stage.  He isn't going to win many more fights but I don't necessarily fear for his health the way I do for guys like Aldo. 

• Like 2

Ehh, personally I'd rather see a "3 Piece Chicken N Soda" Belt, than a "BMF" belt.

And why is a UFC fighter proudly announcing that he buys his supplements at Whole Foods ?

I'm obviously nowhere near being a UFC fighter, and I refuse to buy Whole Foods supplements.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

The word "Whole" in Whole Foods is kind of a misnomer, IMO

Based on my personal research and vetting, Whole Foods is not near the top tier in supplement purity and quality.

I'm not saying it's trash, 'tainted' or harmful, but I would categorize them more as "trendy" than of the potent variety.

There are numerous better options out there, including the Vegan ones.

Anyhow, I'm not judging him ; I'm just surprised. He probably has his reasons for choosing them. Whatever works for him. He's obviously in great shape,

though much of that may be due to his training regimen

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Sounds like there was some shady business going on behind the scenes.  From what I have read, the UFC & USADA urged Nate to just keep quiet about the test, fight anyway, and then they would "sort it out later"  Of course this was likely because Dana doesn't want to lose the business that the main event brings, so he wanted Nate to continue prepping and going into the fight knowing full well that the questionable test results are looming over him, and should he win, the win could end up being nullified anyway.   Basically all UFC cared about was getting their money, and then who cares what happens with Nate after.

Nate Diaz basically told them to eff off, went public to explain what was going on, and then is sort of withdrawing from the fight on his own accord basically forcing the UFC to investigate the test results, and clear his name fully before he agrees to step into the octagon.

That is a G move.  Sure he might be out some money, but to him it looks like his reputation is more important and feeling that the test result is questionable he doesn't want to play ball with the things are usually done.

Askren's striking is bottom 5 in the UFC

2 guy known for their striking engage in bad standup for the all but 30 seconds of the first round