• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Sign in to follow this  
SUNSTONE

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

On 9/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, StillUnknown said:
had no idea Cain  was doing pro wrestling now. honestly shocked that his body can support the abuse

That ring looks tiny.

I  was in a bar watching Stephens-Rodriquez fight.

No audio. The audio was on the Georgia college football game.

But what a weird fight.

• The supposed eye poke looked like it was nowhere near the left eye that Stephens acted like he was suffering from.

29 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I  was in a bar watching Stephens-Rodriquez fight.

No audio. The audio was on the Georgia college football game.

But what a weird fight.

• The supposed eye poke looked like it was nowhere near the left eye that Stephens acted like he was suffering from.

doesn't take much to scratch a cornea. even if it was glancing, thats enough to finish him for the night. Stephens is a lot of things, but he ain't the type to run from a fight

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

doesn't take much to scratch a cornea. even if it was glancing, thats enough to finish him for the night. Stephens is a lot of things, but he ain't the type to run from a fight

Every single camera angle replay they showed, was from the opposite side of the head. So it did make it hard for the viewer to get an accurate idea.

Yea, it wouldn't have made sense to fake an injury within seconds of the fight's beginning.

Huge letdown but I feel bad for Lil Heathen. Those fans in Mexico were putrid for throwing garbage at him.

3 hours ago, Chachie said:

Huge letdown but I feel bad for Lil Heathen. Those fans in Mexico were putrid for throwing garbage at him.

The guy already has trouble seeing, while he's walking out of the arena, so with basically on eye, he he has to try to avoid garbage thrown at him from all angles.

Also, what if a piece of garbage hits him in his already injured eye ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The guy already has trouble seeing, while he's walking out of the arena, so with basically on eye, he he has to try to avoid garbage thrown at him from all angles.

Also, what if a piece of garbage hits him in his already injured eye ?

I read that he went out to Mexico 6 weeks early to get used to elevation. all that time and extra money, gone in 15 seconds. no "win" money, no chance for a bonus performance check

I've said it before, MMA has the largest collective group of just trash fans of any sport I watch. boxing is a close second.

looking at the upcoming 243 card, its an A++++ main event, with an absolutely trash undercard

if Whittaker or Adesanya get hurt, it will be the worst PPV card by miles

Edited by StillUnknown

caught up on yesterdays card

Jared Cannonier might be a problem at 185 or he might not be. so hard to tell who is actually good in that division right now beyond Whittaker/Adesanya/Costa/Romero

also caught Bellator's FW tourney card: AJ McKee scored an 8 second KO in his first round match. I try not to get hyped about prospects because they always let me down, looking at you Aaron Pico, but McKee seemingly has the traits you look for. If he's now adding power to his game, he will be hell for anyone to beat.

the guy getting his leg twisted won that match. jiu-jitsu super freaks are weird. the guy trying to remove his limb is only 16. Jiu-jitsu dudes are getting scary damn good at very young ages now. it will be very interesting to see how it moves forward.

Whittaker saved by the damn bell at the end of round 1

and Adesanya finishes him in the 2nd

that boy is dangerous

Whittaker's gameplan seemed to be to rush Izzy and apply pressure, Gastelum had some success with that. Problem is that Whittaker was throwing everything with full force and it left himself open to be countered. Izzy largely avoided the biggest of Whittaker's shot and finished him with a short left in the middle of a Whittaker blitz

accuracy & timing is just as good as devastating power

Whittaker really should have used his wrestling man

you can't strike with Adesanya, too much experience and skill in that realm. he dodged shots that 99% of MMA would have been laid to rest by

Posted (edited)

ate the jab, and still KO'd him with a left hook from an awkward position

and he's not really a big MW

EGK5RtzXkAAFjbH?format=jpg&name=large

that photo is amazing. Esther Lin consistently gets the best shots in combat sports

Edited by StillUnknown

6 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Costa vs Israel is going to be great. That roid chin is serious

Indeed. But I'm also looking forward to a rematch between IA and KG.

That fight could have easily gone either way, and maybe a good stylistic matchup. Probably will have to wait a while for that one.

Interesting also, to see how long before IA goes down with an injury ; because isn't it like a UFC tradition, that once a new fighter becomes champ, it's common for him to go down for significant time with an injury or surgery. Then another Interim champ is unveiled.

Posted (edited)

i only watched the main event last night so apparently I missed one of the cleanest walk-off KO's of the year

Edited by StillUnknown

Joanna fighting on espn+ tonight

hope she can get back on track, always liked watching her fight. looks like she made some cosmetic changes to herself

39 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Niko Price fight is always worth the PRICE of admission. Always a high possibility of a crazy finish

that was a sickening sound