Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Welcome back 

Timing is everything. If Nick came up in this era, he'd be one of the biggest in the sport. Although i get the sense that Nate cares a little more. Nick's the better fighter, but Nate knows how to play the game a bit better.

Nick gave us so many classics man

I am not so sure Nick is the better of the two anymore.  I think when they were both active fighters that was true, but Nate seems to have evolved his game more than Nick ever did or was willing to.   The Diaz brothers of 10-15 years ago were pretty much, "I can box and work submissions on the ground, bring it MFer."  They were very good at those skill sets, but had obvious gaps in their game and would pay for it against wrestlers.  Somewhere along the line Nate seemed to have wised up and realized he needed to bring in wrestlers to camp to train with to expand his game.  Maybe all the money get got from the Conor fight and his business ventures has helped given him the financial ability to bring in a more diverse coaching/training squad. 

Cormier vs. Miocic 2.   Maaaan Miocic fought pretty dumb the first couple of rounds.  Dude has a massive reach advantage over Cormier but didn't use it at all.  He was losing the fight pretty decisively and then those body shots turned everything around and in a hurry. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am not so sure Nick is the better of the two anymore.  I think when they were both active fighters that was true, but Nate seems to have evolved his game more than Nick ever did or was willing to.   The Diaz brothers of 10-15 years ago were pretty much, "I can box and work submissions on the ground, bring it MFer."  They were very good at those skill sets, but had obvious gaps in their game and would pay for it against wrestlers.  Somewhere along the line Nate seemed to have wised up and realized he needed to bring in wrestlers to camp to train with to expand his game.  Maybe all the money get got from the Conor fight and his business ventures has helped given him the financial ability to bring in a more diverse coaching/training squad. 

I meant that at their absolute best, Nick is the better fighter. Nick's offense flowed a bit more and I think he's more durable which helps.

Nate has been somewhat fortunate, he really hasnt had to face a wrestler since RDA, who beat him pretty easy. The last wrestler Nate beat was Gray Maynard. His bjj is damn good, but it can be gameplanned for. Benson dominated Nate when they fought and a good portion of that fight was on the ground

15 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I meant that at their absolute best, Nick is the better fighter. Nick's offense flowed a bit more and I think he's more durable which helps.

Nate has been somewhat fortunate, he really hasnt had to face a wrestler since RDA, who beat him pretty easy. The last wrestler Nate beat was Gray Maynard. His bjj is damn good, but it can be gameplanned for. Benson dominated Nate when they fought and a good portion of that fight was on the ground

I can agree with all that.  It's a shame Nick left when he did. He had a lot more to give and I think he was on the cusp on making a lot more money for his fights, it could have helped fund more training and stuff the way it has for Nate in the last few years.  

Both of them are still very old-school in their mindset and approach to the fight game, and it is pretty refreshing.

• Like 1

Johnson making 170 will alwayd be one of the weirdest things in MMA history

TMZ has video of BJ Penn in another street fight, the only kind he's capable of winning these days.

Getting the feeling his story is going to end tragically

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

BJ Penn is MMA's version of the aging boxer that just can't let it go.  What's sad is he hasn't been good or even competitive in a very long time.  At least a guy like Fedor (who I also feel should retire) is still trading wins & losses, albeit against a much lower level of competition.

Was it ever confirmed what Rumble's "business venture" or whatever it was, that made him to decide to retire in the first place was? Did he actually make money, or was it a wash out and now he is coming back for a pay day?  

Edited by NoCalMike

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Was it ever confirmed what Rumble's "business venture" or whatever it was, that made him to decide to retire in the first place was? Did he actually make money, or was it a wash out and now he is coming back for a pay day?  

If memory serves, it was to get into the medical marijuana game. No idea how successful it was for him

Edited by StillUnknown

My favorite Up and Comer, is coming to DC, all the way from China

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/6/20853582/mma-news-song-yadong-vs-cody-stamann-planned-for-ufc-washington

And anyone got upset vibes for Poirier ?

7 out of 10 B.E. staff picked Poirier.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/6/20853492/ufc-242-khabib-vs-poirier-staff-picks-predictions

And if I'm understanding correctly, looks like this weekend's main event will happen during the Redskins game.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/6/20853582/mma-news-song-yadong-vs-cody-stamann-planned-for-ufc-washington

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/6/20853492/ufc-242-khabib-vs-poirier-staff-picks-predictions

I don't know about upset, but I get the feeling it won't be a competitive fight no matter who wins. Poirier has the power to hurt anyone in the division, and Khabib is kinda hittable when he isn't mauling you against the fence. Poirier has been taken down and controlled by lesser wrestlers than Khabib. He has a good jiu-jitsu game of his own, but he should be focused on getting back to standing when it hits the ground. He trains with the best overall team out right now, so they will have him well prepared. Poirier's been in some absolute wars that has to wear on him at some point as well. All that said, Khabib is one of the 2 or best athletes at 155 and I don't think Poirier is in that range. Athleticism is a sort of cheat code in the fight game. It allows you do things that merely good athletes can't get away with. My line of thinking is that grappling with Khabib is like quicksand, the more you fight, the quicker you sink. Until someone shows me they can beat him, I have to pick Khabib. 

the rest of the card is very, very meh. Barboza/Felder II will be fun, but its ultimately inconsequential to the division moving forward. Neither of those guys are ever challenging for a title. Makhachev/Ramos will be fun if it hits the ground. Makhachev is prospect worth keeping an eye on, but Ramos is one of those jiu-jitsu superfreaks that testing could prove to be foolish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Nothing about Dustin is impressive to me but he keeps winning. I got khabib tho. Even if he gets hurt. I don’t see Dustin stopping any takedowns. 

You don't think his hands and knees are impressive? I didn't know you were Anderson Silva.

Dude has stepped it up, he's an artist when he can put combinations together. His judgement of distance is very good.  He knows how to catch you off balance and put certain shots on you methodically, yet quite rapidly.

A very good finisher.

I just think he won't really rock Khabib until Khabib can smother him into the cage, and eventually take him down.

Dustin gasses out late and losses via no action and insufficient defense from the bottom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Nothing about Dustin is impressive to me but he keeps winning. I got khabib tho. Even if he gets hurt. I don’t see Dustin stopping any takedowns. 

I don't know how you can watch his progression over the years and say nothing is impressive. He outstruck Holloway, fought 3 wars with Alvarez & Gaethje and did not lose. I'm not exactly a fan, but he's definitely impressive. His hands alone deserve attention, he probably has the best boxing at 155.

5 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Dustin gasses out late and losses via no action and insufficient defense from the bottom.

could see some funny performances overall if thats the case

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And if I'm understanding correctly, looks like this weekend's main event will happen during the Redskins game.

I have FRONT ROW tix for the DC event.

I don't have upset vibes for Dustin but I haven't seen anyone rock Khabib with a punch since Michael Johnson (who KOed Poirier, btw) did it in the first round of their fight. Maybe he's due for getting rocked again. Dustin's got that power and he's a tough cookie. 

I think Nurmogo.. Nurmogomed.. Nurm-- KHABIB gets him to the mat and gets it done in 3.

• Like 3