Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I love the internet

very conceivable that Holm knew Rousey was going to throw that show 5 seconds before Rousey knew

She was extremely well prepared. I'd love to be able to take Zingano or Tate and put them in a chair like the Matrix and download Holm's training in to their brains and see how they would do vs Rousey.

Yeah, lol. MMA photoshoppers are P4P #1, IMO.

Man, those hammerfists are bullseyes to the jaw of a lifeless body. Absolutely brutal.

Could be KO of the year, all things considered. Trying to think of one more spectacular LOOKING. Don't think there are any that are close as far as significance goes. Aldo/McGregor and Weidman/Rockhold are still on tap. They'll have to do something insane to top Holm.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Could be KO of the year, all things considered. Trying to think of one more spectacular LOOKING. Don't think there are any that are close as far as significance goes. Aldo/McGregor and Weidman/Rockhold are still on tap. They'll have to do something insane to top Holm.

There are probably some that were that clean and looked that good. But nothing can compare to that moment. So based on style points and the magnatute of the event and who got KOd I'd say this takes it. Really this was an all timer. If the UFC was still doing their old style PPV intros this would be put into the montage.

In terms of challengers dominating the champ, Holm/Rousey is in the room with Bones/Shogun & Dillashaw/Barao.

Dillashaw is the closest because no one gave him a chance either.  He was just the next victim on the list until he absolutely dismantled the champ. 

• Like 1

Check this out....slow mo,

https://vine.co/v/iBHUWg6TilO

Wes McElroy Retweeted Chase N. Cashe

Oh my.... You can.

Wes McElroy added,

proxy.jpg?t=HBiUAWh0dHBzOi8vdi5jZG4udmlu
Chase N. Cashe @ChaseNCashe
You can see the knuckles vibrate through her jaw lol RT @imBINGnotGOOGLE: #TheHumbling hit like a brick.....yeesh https://https://vine.co/v/iBHUWg6TilO
0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More
Edited by HogNose

From the master Jack Slack himself. You could read that breakdown of the fight, or read the article he wrote back in the summer about how to beat Rousey in which he explains jabbing & circling away from a clinch combined with oblique kicks is the way to beat a bull rushing Ronda.

The man's got skills. Even called Weidman's double up on Silva.

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/killing-the-queen-ronda-rousey

That Jack Slack article is great. Luke Thomas has a good breakdown as well, though it is long.

Then we have this gem from Edmond.

I wouldn't say in the striking game she was getting the best of Ronda, you know, but I have to watch it again. But we know this was not a striking match...

Was not a striking match? Your fighter was repeatedly punched in the face and ultimately kicked in the head. Holm connected on 72% of her strikes! Compared to only 30% for Rousey.

The only hope she has of beating Holm is dumping this moron and going to a real camp. Even that might not be enough.

All of the people who said Rousey was a one trick pony were right. And this fight showed what would happen if that trick didn't work. Without the ability to rush in and get the clinch to execute her Judo she was lost. There was no plan B.

There is a huge gap in striking ability, a huge gap in cardio, possibly a gap in over all strength. That is a whole lot to improve before UFC 200 in July. Especially when she is going to be shooting a move or two between now and then.

If she doesn't change anything about her camp and traning, the only chance I see her having in a rematch is winning in one of the clinches she gets in the 1st round. After that she will have been hit a bunch and be in the same spot she was in this fight.

Edited by autoidiodyssey

Yeah, Ronda needs to skip town and go to a camp with a great striking coach. I think she'd benefit from a warmup fight before fighting Holly again (or whoever is champ). To be honest, Nunes & Pena are no slouches, she'll have her hands full with them if one of 'em is her next opponent. If she can't get 'em with the armbar they could mess her up too.

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, but I still was.  Rousey's fights rarely lasted long enough for you to notice weaknesses, but one thing I did notice, I think it was the one Tate fight that lasted, is that Rousey doesn't like getting hit.  Now yes, no one actually likes getting hit in the face, but you have the fighters who get tagged, shake it off, move forward, keep trying to execute, then you have guys like Brock Lesnar, who it was clear really didn't like it.

I remember one or two instances where Tate managed to tag her, and it was clear it bothered Rousey. Tate just wasn't good enough to capitalize.  I'll give Rousey credit for soldiering on when it was clear Holm was going to turn her face into hamburger meat.  Incredible job, and I'm still shocked, even though we knew this would happen eventually, if Rousey didn't retire first.

Yeah, Ronda needs to skip town and go to a camp with a great striking coach. I think she'd benefit from a warmup fight before fighting Holly again (or whoever is champ). To be honest, Nunes & Pena are no slouches, she'll have her hands full with them if one of 'em is her next opponent. She can't get 'em with the armbar and they could mess her up too.

I'd be really interested in seeing her fight someone other than Holm now that the aura of invincibility is gone. Nunes has some power and we don't know what kind of chin Rousey will have coming off of such a devastating KO. I think Pena would rush in and get her arm ripped off, she seems like she is still pretty raw. They will go Rousey/Holm 2 (that is the big payday) and if Rousey loses that will be it. I don't see her playing gatekeeper until Holm gets knocked off.

I think it was the one Tate fight that lasted, is that Rousey doesn't like getting hit.  Now yes, no one actually likes getting hit in the face, but you have the fighters who get tagged, shake it off, move forward, keep trying to execute, then you have guys like Brock Lesnar, who it was clear really didn't like it.

I remember one or two instances where Tate managed to tag her, and it was clear it bothered Rousey. Tate just wasn't good enough to capitalize. 

That is a good point. I remeber reading a comment from her talking about how she wanted all of her fights to be short becasue she didn't want to get cut up. There is a real chance that she says "You know what? I don't need to get punched in the face and kicked in the head. I've got options here." Though I doubt her ego will let her go out on such a horrible loss.

Edited by autoidiodyssey

Two thoughts:

1. It's pretty weird to watch a woman get punched in the face repeatedly. Not sure I'm a fan of it to be honest.

2. Based on #1, it's obvious I'm not an MMA fan. The little I've seen of it makes me think that the fights are almost always decided by who gets in the first blow or, I guess, immediately counters the first blow. It seems like this fight was over the in the first 30 seconds even though it lasted a while. Do I just not watch enough? Are there fights where someone dominates the first round or two but still loses? That was one of the things I liked about boxing when I watched a lot of boxing - those fights where in round five or six you saw conditioning become a factor. But I'm a total ignoramus on this stuff. (And it seems like every fight I've ever watched ended in two minutes or less or could have ended in two minutes or less like this one).

Two thoughts:

1. It's pretty weird to watch a woman get punched in the face repeatedly. Not sure I'm a fan of it to be honest.

2. Based on #1, it's obvious I'm not an MMA fan. The little I've seen of it makes me think that the fights are almost always decided by who gets in the first blow or, I guess, immediately counters the first blow. It seems like this fight was over the in the first 30 seconds even though it lasted a while. Do I just not watch enough? Are there fights where someone dominates the first round or two but still loses? That was one of the things I liked about boxing when I watched a lot of boxing - those fights where in round five or six you saw conditioning become a factor. But I'm a total ignoramus on this stuff. (And it seems like every fight I've ever watched ended in two minutes or less or could have ended in two minutes or less like this one).

There are comebacks. Cat Zingano has had a couple. In her fight with Meisha Tate she lost the first 2 rounds then finished it with a nasty knee in the 3rd. She also almost got finished by Amanda Nunes in the 1st round and came back to finish that fight in the 3rd.

There have been plenty of fights where a guy comes out like a monster in the 1st round and then gasses out and loses the fight in the later rounds. You see that quite a bit with the guys that are super jacked and carrying a lot of muscle.

Just recently in the Weidman-Belfort fight, Belfort came out on fire and looked to have Wiedman in touble for a minute. Weidman weathered the storm, composed himself, took Belfort down and beat him sensless.

Edited by autoidiodyssey
  • Like 1

One of the most famous fights ever came immediately to mind. Anderson Silva lost the first 4 of 5 rounds against Chael Sonnen, and submitted him in the 5th. I know there are a hell of a lot more examples. Comebacks, close fights, and back and forth fights are common. They are definitely not always decided by who gets in the first blow. That's fairly rare, relative to what you're presuming.

Unless your name is Dan Henderson and you're fighting Vitor Belfort.

This guy in the orange trunks is an absolute legend of MMA. Beloved by everyone, the greatest Japanese fighter ever, and handed Royce Gracie his first loss. He was well past his prime here, it was sad watching him lose while he was getting older. This seemed like just another beatdown for the old legend...

• Like 1