Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

It's weird to think about but Ronda has only been winning in the UFC for a little under 3 years.  She's fought a lot and been so dominant, it feels like longer since I saw her beat Carmouche.

Holm, at 34, has a good chance to make a strong impact on the sport before she declines.  If she holds onto the title through the inevitable flurry of challengers, that'll probably carry her to 3-4 years when she'll be in her late 30's, and could be the longest consecutive holder of the belt for the division when she retires/gets beat.  That would be quite the accomplishment.  But fending off challengers will be easier said than done, I have no doubt she can do it, but Zingano, Tate, and the rest will be lining up.

Tate had been talking of retiring as opposed to simply being a gatekeeper for the division

Holm might have just postponed those plans

Tate has to be happy. I don't see her beating Holm either. Tate's striking is terrible. She wins her fights through toughness. She'll get pummeled by Holm. 

Tate had been talking of retiring as opposed to simply being a gatekeeper for the division

Holm might have just postponed those plans

Yeah, and I think Tate should get that match sooner rather than later.  After all, she was supposed to get her 3rd title shot before they subbed in Holm.  Give it to her now, when you can sell to the public that with Rousey dethroned it's the wild west again and anyone could be holding up the belt at the end of the next UFC.  Good way to get eyes on the PPV.

Tate has to be happy. I don't see her beating Holm either. Tate's striking is terrible. She wins her fights through toughness. She'll get pummeled by Holm. 

Tate's a warrior, and has a sneaky good wrestling/jiu-jitsu game. I've counted Tate out before and she's surprised me, but I'd be shocked if she were able to beat Holm

Holm is the hardest kind of fighter to face though, one who will carry out a gameplan even if its not that exciting.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm laughing at the so called experts who claimed Holms boxing wouldn't be enough take Ronda out.

....."make it a couple of minutes".........huh?

After that head kick now you want jump on the Holly campaign.

I will take their fight predictions with a grain of salt, because that's all its worth.

Edited by tone_dubbz

I'm laughing at the so called experts who claimed Holms boxing wouldn't be enough take Ronda out.

....."make it a couple of minutes".........huh?

After that head kick now you want jump on the Holly campaign.

I will take their fight predictions with a grain of salt, because that's all its worth.

Do you mean so called experts like professional fighters who were picking Ronda? I mean the vast majority of people thought the girl who has been running roughshod through everyone fast as hell would take the striker down and submit her.

It wasn't Holly's boxing that was enough to take out Ronda. She needed the whole package. Takedown defense, Jiu Jitsu, fighting in the clinch, and a nice little kick too.

Being condescending towards anybody that picked Ronda to win is ridiculous, quite frankly.

And yes I picked Ronda by armbar early, before you trash me for that mindless prediction. It's not like she's ever pulled that off before.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I don't think this is good for women's MMA to have Rousey get beat this bad. And if she gets beat like a drum again in the rematch, it'll be even worse.

Yeah probably, but for hardcore MMA fans that outcome was needed. I was so sick of hearing how amazing she was and about all the male fighters she'd destroy and how she's the greatest athlete ever.

But the reality is the sport was going to evolve. Eventually you were going to find someone with an well-rounded skill set that was going to present problems to Rousey. Dana protected her from Cyborg but putting her in the ring with an decorated striker did Ronda no favors. It exposed her badly. There will be another big star like her, just give it time.

• Like 1

Ronda's getting the Pacquiao treatment after he got KO'd by Marquez with all these memes.

People love a hero, but they love seeing a hero fall even more.

Ronda was never an hero. She was a fighter with an bad attitude and zero respect for her contemporaries. I liked her when she first started but her attitude quickly turns you off to her.

That's when I really felt like the fight was over. That duck under showed just the completely different class of boxing Holm is in as compared to Ronda. The knockout was perfection but that was the equivalent of Allen Iverson-Antonio Daniels. Beautiful footwork.

Ronda was never an hero. She was a fighter with an bad attitude and zero respect for her contemporaries. I liked her when she first started but her attitude quickly turns you off to her.

I didn't particularly like her, but she was VERY popular.

Just like Green Goblin told Spider-Man...

Lol...That's where it came from.

• Like 1

So Dana White says Rousey will get the immediate rematch. I guess that makes sense from a PPV buys standpoint. But I don't think it does Rousey any favors. She can change her gameplan and try to make Holm come to her then work the clinch and thow game. But I didn't see anything last night to say that a plan like that wouldn't end up with Holm boxing her face off for 5 rounds. I doubt she can develop competent striking in 6-8 months.

A second loss to Holm in consecutive fights puts Rousey in Meisha Tate land for the rest of Holms reign. Which probably ends her career. I don't see her having any interest in being a gatekeeper.

• Like 1

Ronda looked horrible in that fight. Near the end of the first she wasn't even striking anymore, just trying to grab Holly's lead hand in a desperate attempt to get an arm bar.

They shouldn't do an immediate rematch, but they will. & if Rousey loses again, so long women's championship fights headlining PPV's.

Loved that Hunt got the KO.