Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Not big into MMA, but I just wondering is Silva a disgraced fighter in the MMA community?

I don't think disgraced is the right word. He just happens to be biggest fish to pop. I don't think there can be disgrace if the figures are as high as some within the fight community believe. Multiple fighters in the boxing hall of fame who have popped for steroids as well.

Dana and crew said in a press conference earlier today they'll start testing out of competition in July using WADA standards. They also want stiffer penalties for the first offense, anywhere from a 2-4 year ban. 

I'll wait and see. Dana & his crew have a history of big words followed by little action.

Edited by StillUnknown

Dana said they don't test for recreational drugs out of competitions, for Jones he tested positive for coke on Dec. 4, he was tested again on 18th but not for recreational drug. Tested on Jan 3 negative for anything. My issue is what they mean out of competition? Dec 4 is exactly one month from the fight, he was obviously training for the fight at the time. Is that out of competition, or does out of competition mean the day of the fight? Either way sounds like bull****.

My issue is what they mean out of competition? Dec 4 is exactly one month from the fight, he was obviously training for the fight at the time. Is that out of competition, or does out of competition mean the day of the fight? Either way sounds like bull****.

The NAC defines in competition as 12 hours prior to fight start time & 12 hours after. That after part is important, it allows them to do post fight tests & be able to punish fighters who fail those tests.

It makes no sense when comparing Jones to Diaz, even when test dates are considered, but after watching that hearing I'm not surprised that logic does prevail at the NAC. They could not even run a meeting correctly-why let a fighter make a presentation to overturn a decision only to tell him that he makes a good argument, but the NAC can't help you. If that's the case, tell the fighter before hand that you can't help, why waste everyone's time meeting over it?

The NAC is like a lot of government institutions, more concerned about their image than actually doing their jobs. If you use that reasoning instead of sound logic, it cam help explain some of the NAC's actions & decisions.

The UFC is stacking 187:

Jones vs. Rumble

Weidman vs. Belfort

Dagestan vs. Cerrone

I posted a while back the UFC should have 2 belts & a #1 contender fight on ever PPV card, but never thought they would do this. Like have a champ who doesn't draw and put him on a card with a champ who does like Jones & Mighty Mouse, Ronda & Carla, Pettis & TJ.

I doubt the card stays together like that, but the cynic in me thinks this might be the UFC's plan all along: this announcement also works nicely as a diversion- Silva's failed test on the left, wickedly stacked PPV cards on the right. Then, after Silva gets out of the news cycle, yank a title fight to headline 188.

The UFC is stacking 187:

Jones vs. Rumble

Weidman vs. Belfort

Dagestan vs. Cerrone

They also have:

Travis Browne vs. Andrei Arlovski

and

Joseph Benavidez  vs John Moraga 

Very strong card if everyone stays healthy, which I'm obviously not too optimistic about. 

Eh, Mir is on a 4 fight losing streak, but it's been over a year and I'd like to see the adjustments he's made. Aside from the Cro Cop fight he usually brings excitement. Love to watch his jiu jitsu when he's not getting maimed by Brock Lesnar. He's got knockout power too. Bigfoot is a son of a biscuit when he can survive the first few minutes of a fight. No title implications what so ever, but a fun matchup for sure.

Bigfoot is a son of a biscuit when he can survive the first few minutes of a fight.

True.

If he can get out of that first round.....Silva's last 4 losses were KO's in the 1st round

I will definitely watch Barboza vs. Johnson.

Yea that could have easily and justifiably been the main event on this card.

I guess "name" trumps performance much of the time on determining main events.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Not really looking forward to tonight's card, but I will definitely watch Barboza vs. Johnson. Hard to find another fight on the card worth getting excited about.

Yeah that's the only bout I want to watch, the rest will be on in the background while I do something else & I'll rewind if something catches my eye.

184 is a bit weak outside the main event too, I think that will be a bar one for me. I want to see Holm fight but that & the main event are all I'm interested in for 184.

Yea I didn't mean to imply he's back as a contender, or that the old Frank is back, but more like he's back as in "alive and breathing" in his career, and no longer at the precipice of a career-ender.

I will say this tho - he looked a lot better than his last few fights. And not just because of the W, but his performance was a lot more impressive, crisper, sharper and purposeful.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Mir looked sharp. Good head movement, double jab (turned it in to a jab hook when he dropped him), ground and pound was ferocious. Just paranoid of his chin, hope he can protect it.

Bigfoot threw exactly 0 punches.

If I know Frank Mir (and I'm a fan), all he did was set himself up for 2 more severe beatings.   :(

Yea I didn't mean to imply he's back as a contender, or that the old Frank is back, but more like he's back as in "alive and breathing" in his career, and no longer at the precipice of a career-ender.

I will say this tho - he looked a lot better than his last few fights. And not just because of the W, but his performance was a lot more impressive, crisper, sharper and purposeful.

I do agree but how hard is it to look good when your opponent literally never challenged you? They danced, Frank threw, Silva dropped. Game over.

I hope that the things Frank said about learning new boxing techniques in the post-fight interview will help him and that he continues to work on them.

If I know Frank Mir (and I'm a fan), all he did was set himself up for 2 more severe beatings. :(

Lol, very true. Although, thin division, pretty big name too. Could find himself near the top if he can keep from getting chin checked. Hard not to be weery of that though.

It's a shame he doesn't have a good takedown game, imagine that.

10 underdogs won last night. Anybody with the huevos to bet that parlay is smiling today.

Word is just a $100 parlay on 8 would have paid $6.3 million. No report of anyone actually making that bet.

Some sites had $2/$5 plays that paid out up to 50 people up to $550,000+......had they not capped winnings at $150,000 when they saw the potential loses. Bad move by the site, sure they save $400k per winner, but is that worth no one wanting to play your long shots or parlays again? If I was a capped winner, I'd sue their pants off right after asking for an out court settlement that allowed me to get up to 95% of my previous and all future lost wagers back.

Check the twitter machine of that sports business reporter from MSNBC, Darren Rovell (sic?)

If you can take my stupid bets then you can pay my stupid bets when they come around once every 2-3 lifetimes.